Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-17-2020, 11:39 PM   #1
6ixrosario

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Need some advice!!

I hope everyone's doing good during these times. I needed some help. I woke up one morning and decided I wanted to hop back on trying to get a 6th gen Camaro. I'm pretty much set or making a purchase but the only thing I'm needed help on is how to negotiate a good deal. I made a purchase back in 2018 for a Nissan Maxima. I wanted the Camaro, but at the time I didn't have as much credit as I do now and I was fairly new to the military so I sort of used into buying this maximum, only to walk away unhappy with my purchase because I was paying more than I wanted to and for some reason said yes when I should've said no. I don't want to make that same mistake twice, especially because this is my dream car and I won't be purchasing anything after this for a while. I live in Sumter SC, so my options are limited because of the area and because I'm in the military and don't wanna travel more than 2hrs away right now just in case an emergency happens on base. I figured now is the perfect time to try and get something since a lot of these dealers aren't getting any customers in the area and some of their inventory has been just sitting there. I have two options right now. 1 is a 2016 2ss with 27,000 miles and the dealer is asking $28,895 for it. The only issue is I hate the silver alloy wheels on it and the inside smells like smoke, which I know I could use to my advantage to get them to go down on it. My second option is probably my favorite. its a 2016 2ss all blacked out with the adrenaline red seat package, which is something I've always wanted when purchasing a Camaro. They are asking $29,500. Anyone have any tips for negotiating a lower price or how to go about getting the best deal? Also, does anyone in the NC/SC area know of any trustworthy dealerships around?
6ixrosario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 06:48 AM   #2
BRM ZL1

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
How many miles on the second one and what options does it have. I would not settle on anything. The economy is not going to turn around anytime soon. Get exactly what you want. Unfortunately I think there is going to be more of these cars coming on the used market due to people loosing jobs and not being able to pay for them.
Advice on getting the best deal is shop around and look a little further out and use the dealers against each other especially in today's market they are gonna want to earn your business. I did that same thing and decided to close a deal on a 19ZLE yesterday. Called several dealers negotiating back and forth and had them send offers and used them for negotiating. Had a decided to order a 2020 but could not pass up the deal they offered me on the car exactly how I wanted it for alot less money. Good luck.
BRM ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 11:35 AM   #3
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixrosario View Post
I hope everyone's doing good during these times. I needed some help. I woke up one morning and decided I wanted to hop back on trying to get a 6th gen Camaro. I'm pretty much set or making a purchase but the only thing I'm needed help on is how to negotiate a good deal. I made a purchase back in 2018 for a Nissan Maxima. I wanted the Camaro, but at the time I didn't have as much credit as I do now and I was fairly new to the military so I sort of used into buying this maximum, only to walk away unhappy with my purchase because I was paying more than I wanted to and for some reason said yes when I should've said no. I don't want to make that same mistake twice, especially because this is my dream car and I won't be purchasing anything after this for a while. I live in Sumter SC, so my options are limited because of the area and because I'm in the military and don't wanna travel more than 2hrs away right now just in case an emergency happens on base. I figured now is the perfect time to try and get something since a lot of these dealers aren't getting any customers in the area and some of their inventory has been just sitting there. I have two options right now. 1 is a 2016 2ss with 27,000 miles and the dealer is asking $28,895 for it. The only issue is I hate the silver alloy wheels on it and the inside smells like smoke, which I know I could use to my advantage to get them to go down on it. My second option is probably my favorite. its a 2016 2ss all blacked out with the adrenaline red seat package, which is something I've always wanted when purchasing a Camaro. They are asking $29,500. Anyone have any tips for negotiating a lower price or how to go about getting the best deal? Also, does anyone in the NC/SC area know of any trustworthy dealerships around?
You'll never fully get the smoke smell out of the first car, that would be a 100% deal killer for me right there on that one...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 11:50 AM   #4
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
As BRM ZL1 pointed out, now is the time to be patient. Sounds like you don't NEED another car right now, and that presents the perfect opportunity to look around, educate yourself of what options you must have as opposed to ones you would like, and what things are selling for. I have a feeling the covid-19 fallout is going to result in a lot of people who can't keep up with payments flooding the market with used cars with a resultant drop in prices as well as more selection in low mileage cars. A prime buyers market. If you can be patient, at some point you will find the car you want at a great price, and won't have to make compromises like dealing with a stinky smokers interior or a color that's not on the top of your list.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 12:42 PM   #5
Paintslinger16
Two Lane Blacktop

Drives: '18 Camaro 2SS
Get pre approved so you know you can afford it, try NFCU if you have one near base.
Then make an offer on the smoke free car at a much lower price like 28000, be willing to wait them out if they refuse, but they will come back with a different offer I am sure.
I don’t know where you are on the trade owned vs trade in.
Just remember you can get PCSed to Fort Drum, and you won’t like that Camaro so much up here in January
Paintslinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 09:03 PM   #6
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
Quote:
There is what I would call a pricing anomaly in the market right now. Like yourself I was wanting to get a 6th GEN and I thought I could do that with the least amount of money if I looked at 2016's. What I found was that I could purchase a 2019 for just a little more money than what I was seeing 2016-2018's for.

I did a little research and found the 2019 was NOT a good year for the Camaro from the standpoint of some of the styling changes particularly with the front bumper on the SS cars. That styling change turned alot of people off because the middle of the bumper is ALWAYS black regardless of the car color. So if you had any color besides BLACK or DARK GRAY, then the look for most was pretty unappealing (the same look as the DODGE charger where it looked like there was a piece missing from the center of the bumper).

The bottom line is I bought a 2019 BLACK SS with 16K miles on it for $32500. The second and even more important reason for me to buy a 2019 and NOT an earlier 2016-2018 was that the 2019 was the first year the offered the A10 auto option with the SS. I just came out of a 2019 ZL1 1LE with A10 (another good story) and I can tell you that the A10 is an amazing tranny. On a 2019 model you should have no problem getting 72 month financing and on earlier year models you MAY be limited to 60 months.

Like what the others said is VERY true in that it is more a BUYERS market than a sellers market and the dealers know THIS. If you are a little patient I could easily see prices go down 1-2K over the next 30 days.
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:07 PM   #7
6ixrosario

I actually had an appointment to look at both vehicles today and they ended up both selling lol. So it's back to square one haha. I'm just being patient and taking my time. If I'm going to invest in a vehicle that's my dream car, I want it to be there exact way that I want it and not settle for anything. Thanks for the advice too!
Old 04-18-2020, 10:09 PM   #8
6ixrosario

Yes, of course, I'm not in any rush to buy. I'm willing to wait as long as I need to find exactly what I'm looking for.
Old 04-18-2020, 10:10 PM   #9
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Get a 6th Gen regardless of what you find, you'll be much happier with the Alpha platform...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
Old 04-18-2020, 10:18 PM   #10
6ixrosario

Air force doesn't PCS members who haven't been on base for at least 3-4 years unless you put in for orders overseas. PCS rates at my base fairly low since it is an ACC base and people get stuck here for a while. We have a SAFE federal credit union on the base that gives 0-4% rates , which is who I had my first vehicle with. But yes, I'm not in any rush to buy. In the Myrtle Beach area is a hot spot for cameras, since its car show city and they are normally owned by older people who don't drive them as much. So fingers crossed I can run into one down there! Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-18-2020, 10:19 PM   #11
6ixrosario

Yes im set on a 6th gen. Anything less doesn't really catch my eye. I drove one today both a 2018 and 2020. They handle extremely well.
Old 04-18-2020, 10:22 PM   #12
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Yes im set on a 6th gen. Anything less doesn't really catch my eye. I drove one today both a 2018 and 2020. They handle extremely well.
I absolutely LOVE my 2020 2SS... If you can swing one, I HIGHLY recommend it (Absolutely get the NPP exhaust if nothing else!)

Old 04-18-2020, 10:26 PM   #13
6ixrosario

My current car is the same color as your SS. I hope I can find one that same color cause it looks so nice when in sunlight. Especially the way it shines when you just wash it.
Old 04-19-2020, 09:00 AM   #14
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Exactly, and the 2018 is one mean looking beast, but really, you can't go wrong with either. A 2020 will obviously cost a lot more and in all honesty doesn't have too much to show for the difference, except maybe the rear view camera mirror and the upgraded infotainment, if you care for these things.

Oh, and don't discount red, it's known to be the fastest color

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2016 - 2018 ss, 2ss camaro, buying tips, military, north/south carolina