Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 02-01-2018, 10:10 AM   #29
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSummit View Post
Double clutching is only necessary on transmissions without synchros, to match the engine speed to the gear speed.
The 'purists' would disagree and claim double-clutching ensures a smoother transition which it does, but I agree with you in terms of wear and tear. I learned to drive stick on my last car (2007 mazdaspeed 3) and 11 years (165k miles) later, the tranny shifts the same and the clutch still grabs like new. Hardly ever double-clutched (maybe only a couple times to try it), no syncro issues.

I'd double-clutch, but it's too much work for slightly smoother shifts. On the track, it might be worth the extra effort though.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:29 AM   #30
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSummit View Post
Double clutching is only necessary on transmissions without synchros, to match the engine speed to the gear speed. The synchros perform this job for you, double clutching may reduce wear on the synchros but honestly how often do they fail/wear out? Simple rev matching with a single clutch action is plenty.
Absolutely correct!
People shouldn't be taught to double clutch until they know what a layshaft is. And once you have that knowledge...
ctrlz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:31 AM   #31
Dubchitts

Drives: '17 Red hot 2ss, 16 Focus RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
Absolutely correct!
People shouldn't be taught to double clutch until they know what a layshaft is. And once you have that knowledge...
There's no point or need to double clutch these. In reality most people shouldn't be taught it at all because they'll never have to use it

Afe Air Filter//BMR MM010 Motor Mounts, Safety Loop//Custom OTR Intake//Flex Fuel Kit//Gforce 3.5" Aluminum Driveshaft//GM 95mm TB//Katech Oil Pump, Piston Squirters//Kooks 1-7/8 LT//LT4 Fueling//Mighty Mouse Wild//Monster Clutch LT1-S Triple Disc//MSD 2-Step//Pray Performance Custom Spec Cam, Ported Holley Hi-Ram//Sikky 12" Shifter w OEM Knob Mod//Tick Level 1 Tr6060//Labor by Me//Tune By Pray Performance
Dubchitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:29 AM   #32
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubchitts View Post
There's no point or need to double clutch these. In reality most people shouldn't be taught it at all because they'll never have to use it
No truckers or farmers here?
ctrlz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:34 AM   #33
Dubchitts

Drives: '17 Red hot 2ss, 16 Focus RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
No truckers or farmers here?
I'm a trucker. I use the clutch when I'm stopped

Afe Air Filter//BMR MM010 Motor Mounts, Safety Loop//Custom OTR Intake//Flex Fuel Kit//Gforce 3.5" Aluminum Driveshaft//GM 95mm TB//Katech Oil Pump, Piston Squirters//Kooks 1-7/8 LT//LT4 Fueling//Mighty Mouse Wild//Monster Clutch LT1-S Triple Disc//MSD 2-Step//Pray Performance Custom Spec Cam, Ported Holley Hi-Ram//Sikky 12" Shifter w OEM Knob Mod//Tick Level 1 Tr6060//Labor by Me//Tune By Pray Performance
Dubchitts is offline   Reply With Quote