Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 02-25-2021, 09:46 AM   #15
Big Lebowski

Drives: 022 C8 Z51 Red Mist HTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandanK View Post
I think some of you are missing the statement that he already purchased the car. He cannot add MRC now.

Brandan
Wait, what? Are you accusing a forum thread from getting side tracked?
Old 02-25-2021, 11:47 AM   #16
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lebowski View Post
Wrong.

I've driven Corvettes with and without MRC, and it dramatically improves handling compared to a non MRC car. I have been to Spring Mountain twice, and they rave about the capabilities. I am however, not taking anything away from the track handling of the 1LE (which does not have Magnetic Ride Control).
FYI: SS 1LE does have MRC dampers.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:59 PM   #17
Lex2021

Drives: 2021 SS
Mag ride is one of the reasons for the amazing handling. They've sold that technology to Ford, Lambo etc.

You shoulda bought the mag ride equipped car. Its next level stuff.
Lex2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:43 PM   #18
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
The base suspension is damn good but it's neither stupid, nor stupid expensive to add the gm handling kit as some have stated. If you plan to track the car, it's worth every penny of the ~1600 bucks for the 1LE bars and springs. The ZLE cradle bushings are also a good addition. All that being, I wouldn't do anything if I never intended to track the car
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:52 PM   #19
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7branson.jake View Post
Recently just bought my first ever Camaro and it doesn’t have mag ride so I was wondering if there are any suspension upgrades worth doing for it? Is the 1LE upgrade worth it? Any other non suspension upgrade recommendations? Sorry if it’s a dumb question but id rather get any upgrades out of the way now before I have any kids.
I was in a similar spot back in 2018, looking at upgrading some parts to make my 2016 1SS handle better. I ended up replacing a lot of parts, in fact, the whole car as I went with a 1LE and traded in the 2016.

Having said that, I agree with sr71bb, adding some sway bars, suspension upgrade and better wheels and tires will make a difference. Unfortunately you'll find that going all the way to 1LE level is price prohibitive, if it's even possible.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:47 PM   #20
7branson.jake

Drives: Chevy camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsbeavis View Post
If you wanted 1LE goodies then you should have bought one. Adding those items separately will be stupid expensive. Mag ride by itself doesn't improve handling. It improves the ride quality of a car with stiff suspension. For what you paid for a 2SS you could have gotten a 1SS 1LE.
I was going too. The reason I bought the one I did was because the paint and interior were almost exactly like what my grandpa had in his 69 Camaro growing up.
7branson.jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:24 PM   #21
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
start with yyz springs then 1le swaybars that and bigger wheels and tires is what makes up most of the speed of a ss vs 1le on the track suspension+tires
Old 02-25-2021, 10:25 PM   #22
funked1

Drives: '23 Hyundai Kona N, '24 VW GTI
Quote:
As vtirocz states, GM kindly answered this very specific question for us a few years ago.
I wholeheartedly disagree with the members saying that the suspension upgrades are a waste of money.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542333

Brandan
facts
funked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 12:44 AM   #23
7branson.jake

Drives: Chevy camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevelle vs Camaro View Post
Lowering springs and sway bars. As for other mods a supercharger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I want a supercharger so bad but can’t quite afford one... yet
7branson.jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 04:08 AM   #24
Chevelle vs Camaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
I want a supercharger so bad but can’t quite afford one... yet

Yeah I wasn’t looking for a Camaro after wrecking my 5.0. Was looking at a Infinity Q60 redsport and while looking at a local infinity dealers inventory found my 2018 SS 6 speed with a pro charger, lowered, sway bars, replica zl1 wheels (20’s with 305’s in back), Adrenaline red Katzskins And a AWE touring exhaust. Just was in the cards to be a Camaro owner.

The shop that did the ProCharger had a sticker underhood so I took it to them to check it out before purchase and all has been gravy so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chevelle vs Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 06:14 AM   #25
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsbeavis View Post
If you wanted 1LE goodies then you should have bought one. Adding those items separately will be stupid expensive. Mag ride by itself doesn't improve handling. It improves the ride quality of a car with stiff suspension. For what you paid for a 2SS you could have gotten a 1SS 1LE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lebowski View Post
Wrong.

I've driven Corvettes with and without MRC, and it dramatically improves handling compared to a non MRC car. I have been to Spring Mountain twice, and they rave about the capabilities. I am however, not taking anything away from the track handling of the 1LE (which does not have Magnetic Ride Control).

This article expands on the MRC quite a bit:https://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gene...ol-technology/
The truth is in the middle. The three distinct modes of MRC vary between a softer-than-base suspension and a stiffer-than-base suspension. The end result is that on one end, you get a slightly smoother/softer ride and the other end you get better handling.

Quote:
I think some of you are missing the statement that he already purchased the car. He cannot add MRC now.

Brandan
I would suppose that it technically -could- be added. But, by the time you're done with the expense of the shocks, sensors, wiring, the labor, a Mode switch, more wiring, software reprogramming, possibly additional BCM parts, etc.... It makes ZERO sense to try and tackle.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 06:44 AM   #26
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
You can’t add MRC to a Camaro that didn’t have it from the factory! Get the 1LE suspension kit from Chevy Performance and a set of wider wheels/tires and rock on.��
Old 02-26-2021, 07:58 AM   #27
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Recently just bought my first ever Camaro and it doesn’t have mag ride so I was wondering if there are any suspension upgrades worth doing for it? Is the 1LE upgrade worth it? Any other non suspension upgrade recommendations? Sorry if it’s a dumb question but id rather get any upgrades out of the way now before I have any kids.
Try to describe your driving. Take your time, no need to shoot from the hip here.

Where would it fall on a scale where very mild driving through the corners would be a '1' and "never met a corner I'd ever drive gently through unless I was stuck behind a slowpoke" would be a 10?

From limited seat time in a 1SS, the SS Camaros seem to be a very capable cars. But there is room for improvement if your normal driving tends toward 8, 9, or 10, perhaps a lot of that being subjective in nature.

Norm
Old 02-26-2021, 08:05 AM   #28
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Try to describe your driving. Take your time, no need to shoot from the hip here.

Where would it fall on a scale where very mild driving through the corners would be a '1' and "never met a corner I'd ever drive gently through unless I was stuck behind a slowpoke" would be a 10?

From limited seat time in a 1SS, the SS Camaros seem to be a very capable cars. But there is room for improvement if your normal driving tends toward 8, 9, or 10, perhaps a lot of that being subjective in nature.

Norm
Reasonable approach, but one caveat...

If the Camaro is your first ever sports/muscle/performance car, then you should also account for your "driving personality" in addition to actual driving habits. Although I have owned cars in the past that held the road well, I take corners much faster with the Camaro than I've ever thought to -try- with past cars because I love the feel of being glued to the road.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1le, 2020, 2ss