Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 02-20-2021, 07:34 PM   #15
MR's 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS Vert/M6/F250 SD
Ive owned a lot of different types of vehicles and brands. I cant think of any that didnt need something fixed. I keep the ones I like for a long time. I have my Harley Superglide since 1979. But generally I keep cars and trucks between 125,000 and 150,000 if I like them. Weve leased for my wife until the 2ss.
I hate dealerships. I hate the manufacturers. I dont usually use them for anything beyond warrantee.
We had leased a few Infinities for my wife because that was the absolute best dealership experience Ive ever had. Same owner of several dealerships and Ive bought Fords, Chevies, and the Infinities from them. Dont really feel the same warm and fuzzy from either Chevy or Ford. They are right across the street...
My F-250 had a loose steering feel right off the lot on day one. Ford Truck Forum experience indicated everyone knew about it. But Ford was pretending it was isolated. They kept coming out with warrantee repairs only if you experienced death wobble and the dealer could replicate it. So I went out and bought a King replacement for 200 bucks and it was fixed. Drives perfectly now. So that pisses me off that Ford would allow all these people to have a negative experience when all it took was a quality replacement.
I had a Searay Boat we bought from a dealer on Long Beach Island. The entire experience was great. Good deal on the boat. good service. EVERYTHING seemed to be covered by warrantee. No questions asked.
So when Hurricane Sandy took our Searay and smashed it we bought a Sailfish from the same dealer. Suddenly every warrantee issue was a problem. To the point we dont even go there any more. I love the Sailfish but Im unlikely to buy another boat from them because they just ignored any and all warrantee claims. Its been a good reliable boat for 8 seasons.... but I still wont buy another one. Really its over little things like a coming pad that was ripped on the lot... and a couple very minor mechanicals... but the way they dealt with it ensured I will never buy another.
I dont see the equity in that.
I had my GMC 2500 for 12 years and 125,000 miles. a few mechanical repairs. A few recall repairs. Different Chevy dealer. But they were great. No issues.
Im hoping the Chevy dealer we bought the Camaro from is that good.
But I do my own maint.... never going to trust the pimply faced kid in the dealership with any vehicle I like a lot.
Old 02-20-2021, 11:53 PM   #16
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
Corolla

S
He said Sporty not Sucky.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:55 PM   #17
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
There are rumours saying that there might be a Corolla GR which will compensate for the fact that North America doesn't get the Yaris GR. If it's anything like a Yaris GR then I'd definitely consider it sporty.

And surprisingly, the Corolla hatchback manual transmission looks like a sincere offering from Toyota. You get rev-matching which even the 2.0T and V6 manual Camaro lack, and you can option it to middle trim so it's not just a cost-saving thing. Corolla hatchback isn't a sporty car, but those features do sound pretty nice. I just wonder how the shifters feel.
Lets hope they just stay rumors.
Old 02-20-2021, 11:56 PM   #18
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR's 2SS View Post
Ive owned a lot of different types of vehicles and brands. I cant think of any that didnt need something fixed. I keep the ones I like for a long time. I have my Harley Superglide since 1979. But generally I keep cars and trucks between 125,000 and 150,000 if I like them. Weve leased for my wife until the 2ss.
I hate dealerships. I hate the manufacturers. I dont usually use them for anything beyond warrantee.
We had leased a few Infinities for my wife because that was the absolute best dealership experience Ive ever had. Same owner of several dealerships and Ive bought Fords, Chevies, and the Infinities from them. Dont really feel the same warm and fuzzy from either Chevy or Ford. They are right across the street...
My F-250 had a loose steering feel right off the lot on day one. Ford Truck Forum experience indicated everyone knew about it. But Ford was pretending it was isolated. They kept coming out with warrantee repairs only if you experienced death wobble and the dealer could replicate it. So I went out and bought a King replacement for 200 bucks and it was fixed. Drives perfectly now. So that pisses me off that Ford would allow all these people to have a negative experience when all it took was a quality replacement.
I had a Searay Boat we bought from a dealer on Long Beach Island. The entire experience was great. Good deal on the boat. good service. EVERYTHING seemed to be covered by warrantee. No questions asked.
So when Hurricane Sandy took our Searay and smashed it we bought a Sailfish from the same dealer. Suddenly every warrantee issue was a problem. To the point we dont even go there any more. I love the Sailfish but Im unlikely to buy another boat from them because they just ignored any and all warrantee claims. Its been a good reliable boat for 8 seasons.... but I still wont buy another one. Really its over little things like a coming pad that was ripped on the lot... and a couple very minor mechanicals... but the way they dealt with it ensured I will never buy another.
I had my GMC 2500 for 12 years and 125,000 miles. a few mechanical repairs. A few recall repairs. Different Chevy dealer. But they were great. No issues.
But I do my own maint.... never going to trust the pimply faced kid in the dealership with any vehicle I like a lot.

The 70s era SuperGlide LowRider is one pretty bike.
Old 02-21-2021, 12:06 AM   #19
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR's 2SS View Post

I took my Camaro to my dealership for an Oil change which was fine, but I also got a car wash by them afterwards. My dealership is one of the top 10 Corvette dealerships in the country. They had a whole new crew working in the wash/detail area and I noticed the cleaning sucked compared to the old crew. When I got home I got a dealer survey in my email so I filled it out and told them how the wash service sucked. This was about a year ago. So last week a rep from GM contacted me by phone for more info on the problem I had. I told them and they offered to send me a $100 coupon to use on any future service. I thought that was pretty cool.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:34 AM   #20
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Whichever sporty car(s) Honda makes.
sons 1993 civic del sol has 300,000 miles on it 2 automatic transmissions rebuilt but the engine has never had a problem.the wifes 2018 civic coupe only has 35,000 on it but no problems so far and it actually feels fairly sporty,not go race an SS sporty,but corners and handles very well.she drives slow but im thinking the "R" model coupe would be really sporty if you could live with the boy racer wing.
redcoats1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:06 AM   #21
Pupilbone

Drives: 2019 Crush ZL1 M6
Dangerous thread to post on lol. The term “sporty” is subjective to say the least, and changes for people as their income grows.

Back to point, how does the Camaro compare with reliability reports from Mustang and Challenger? Honestly don’t know, being a Chev guy I rarely care to read up on competitive brands.
Old 02-21-2021, 09:33 AM   #22
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupilbone View Post
Dangerous thread to post on lol. The term “sporty” is subjective to say the least, and changes for people as their income grows.

Back to point, how does the Camaro compare with reliability reports from Mustang and Challenger? Honestly don’t know, being a Chev guy I rarely care to read up on competitive brands.
The 6 speed in some Mustangs have had some issues but nothing really else since it left the Fox platform. Challenger? It’s an FCA. That’s open season on issues

For the Camaro, like I said other than the shuddering diffs on A8’s and valve springs on a limited batch of LT1s recently, 6th Gen Camaros are pretty reliable and trouble free. Some people have complained about heat soaking issues with the starters in early production 6th gens but that seems to be sorted. So Camaro and Mustang are both pretty reliable, well built cars.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:36 AM   #23
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
The 6 speed in some Mustangs have had some issues but nothing really else since it left the Fox platform. Challenger? It’s an FCA. That’s open season on issues

For the Camaro, like I said other than the shuddering diffs on A8’s and valve springs on a limited batch of LT1s recently, 6th Gen Camaros are pretty reliable and trouble free. Some people have complained about heat soaking issues with the starters in early production 6th gens but that seems to be sorted. So Camaro and Mustang are both pretty reliable, well built cars.
Mine only has 2000 miles on it, but no issues sat all that I have read on the forum. No valve spring issues( built late September 2020), no rear diff noise or axel noise in turns, no front wheel/ brake clicking sounds. All perfect and runs strong. No oil consumption during breakin or first autocross event either.

Any new car can have issues. And all new cars can be susceptible to electronic issues now with all the computers and infotainment centers. And as to reliability, Honda is rated worst as to that. I read a recent report on manufacturers, Kia was first, Chevy and dodge were in the top three. Japanese have fallen to mud pack and the Germans , Acura and others like them at the bottom.

I agree dealers are a pain and hate the thought of dealing with them. The first one I delt with wasted a week of my time and lied about being able, or wanting to trade a car with another dealer to get my car. I found out the dealer and went direct. Was 200 miles away. They were great to deal with, as they are a Mercedes dealer as well so I got the good treatment😁. The car was all polished, not a swirl mark on it, and in a showroom with its twin with my name on it. Along with a free hat and tee shirt .The sales guy and the rest were car guys and he races. The finance guy was building a 1000 hp drag car. All and all best experience I have had at a dealer. Can’t say that about most of the local dealers😞
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:53 AM   #24
MR's 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS Vert/M6/F250 SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
I took my Camaro to my dealership for an Oil change which was fine, but I also got a car wash by them afterwards. My dealership is one of the top 10 Corvette dealerships in the country. They had a whole new crew working in the wash/detail area and I noticed the cleaning sucked compared to the old crew. When I got home I got a dealer survey in my email so I filled it out and told them how the wash service sucked. This was about a year ago. So last week a rep from GM contacted me by phone for more info on the problem I had. I told them and they offered to send me a $100 coupon to use on any future service. I thought that was pretty cool.
I have a hand wash right by the house. They actually do a great job. Ive had them wash my F-250 a few times. They did manage a scratch with the brush because they are smallish latino guys and they have a problem reaching some places. So they hit with the handle. But washing a car like the Camaro would be all microfiber mits which they are constantly rinsing in 55 gal drums.
Still. Unless its freezing cold I wash my own. I cringe as they wash my vehicles. But they do a great job and shammy it dry. All I need to do when they are done is drive away and use Mcguires waterless wash and wax and the vehicles are perfect.
Old 02-21-2021, 12:25 PM   #25
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
I agree dealers are a pain and hate the thought of dealing with them. The first one I delt with wasted a week of my time and lied about being able, or wanting to trade a car with another dealer to get my car. I found out the dealer and went direct. Was 200 miles away. They were great to deal with, as they are a Mercedes dealer as well so I got the good treatment😁. The car was all polished, not a swirl mark on it, and in a showroom with its twin with my name on it. Along with a free hat and tee shirt .The sales guy and the rest were car guys and he races. The finance guy was building a 1000 hp drag car. All and all best experience I have had at a dealer. Can’t say that about most of the local dealers😞
This seems to be a fair indicator of how much they care.

The senior tech that works on my car at the dealership has a beautiful 5th gen vert that he keeps immaculate, and that's the attitude he carries over to our cars. Heck, he was even happy to install my aftermarket BMR suspension parts, had the instructions printed up by the time I got there and said he appreciated the opportunity to learn about new aftermarket parts, then they charged me next to nothing. The finance manager had a Lingenfelter Vette that he raced on weekends. All in all, when you find car people running or working at a dealership, your chances are way better.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 01:42 PM   #26
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
This seems to be a fair indicator of how much they care.

The senior tech that works on my car at the dealership has a beautiful 5th gen vert that he keeps immaculate, and that's the attitude he carries over to our cars. Heck, he was even happy to install my aftermarket BMR suspension parts, had the instructions printed up by the time I got there and said he appreciated the opportunity to learn about new aftermarket parts, then they charged me next to nothing. The finance manager had a Lingenfelter Vette that he raced on weekends. All in all, when you find car people running or working at a dealership, your chances are way better.
Yep. And they all loved my modded 2012 I traded in. Got more looks then my new one next to it...lol. They just sold it so someone appreciates what they have I hope
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 02:46 PM   #27
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
Lets hope they just stay rumors.
Why? Toyota's finally actually doing something to prove that they are not boring. And a Yaris GR and Corolla GR, if it has AWD, will run circles around a Camaro in snow. It's a relatively fun car you can drive year-round. Have you actually looked at the Yaris GR at all? Pretty capable little machine, though a bit too expensive.

I know you prefer domestics but there are no domestic competitors anymore. Focus ST/RS and Fiesta ST, while both pretty great while they existed, are no longer available, at least in North America. My friend actually has a Fiesta ST. Fun little hot hatch with good practicality and tuneability. Chevy and FCA? Crickets.

(And just to add, you need to credit the Europeans for Fiesta)

I am not a hot hatch guy myself but I personally still appreciate them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
sons 1993 civic del sol has 300,000 miles on it 2 automatic transmissions rebuilt but the engine has never had a problem.the wifes 2018 civic coupe only has 35,000 on it but no problems so far and it actually feels fairly sporty,not go race an SS sporty,but corners and handles very well.she drives slow but im thinking the "R" model coupe would be really sporty if you could live with the boy racer wing.
I know a lot of people who call Del Sol "Del Slow", LOL.

Civic Si could be fun if you are on a budget.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 04:27 PM   #28
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Why? Toyota's finally actually doing something to prove that they are not boring. And a Yaris GR and Corolla GR, if it has AWD, will run circles around a Camaro in snow. It's a relatively fun car you can drive year-round. Have you actually looked at the Yaris GR at all? Pretty capable little machine, though a bit too expensive.

I know you prefer domestics but there are no domestic competitors anymore. Focus ST/RS and Fiesta ST, while both pretty great while they existed, are no longer available, at least in North America. My friend actually has a Fiesta ST. Fun little hot hatch with good practicality and tuneability. Chevy and FCA? Crickets.

(And just to add, you need to credit the Europeans for Fiesta)

I am not a hot hatch guy myself but I personally still appreciate them.

I know a lot of people who call Del Sol "Del Slow", LOL.

Civic Si could be fun if you are on a budget.
GM lost a PRIME chance to be in that game big time with the Cruze hatchback. A well tuned 2.0 turbo 4, 6 speed gearbox, all wheel drive, 18” wheels, lowered suspension, big brakes, and bolstered seats would have put that car right in the wheel house of the Focus ST/RS.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote