Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-03-2021, 05:11 AM   #43
Wrecks24

Drives: Camaro LT1
The build date on my LT1 is October 14th. I swear to shit. I have never had a car that worried so much that something was gonna go wrong. I want to love this thing but its killing my nerves.
Wrecks24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:15 AM   #44
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecks24 View Post
The build date on my LT1 is October 14th. I swear to shit. I have never had a car that worried so much that something was gonna go wrong. I want to love this thing but its killing my nerves.
***EDITED, removed bad advice****

Last edited by ninetres; 01-05-2021 at 01:31 PM.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 01:30 PM   #45
ninetres

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
Replace the valve springs with some BTR springs.
^^^^ Ignore my advice. The stock engine does NOT like those springs.

Trying to find out about getting a set of “updated” if there is such a thing, springs from my dealer. That’s proving a bit tough. They are on national restriction. Also, I’m not certain if they are a different part number from the defective springs, or if the parts department can tell if they are an ineffective batch???

Also, does anyone have an actual file of the current TSB 5752? My Google fu only produces news articles and forum posts about it.
Old 01-05-2021, 01:42 PM   #46
Crushin_LT1

Drives: 2021 LT1 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecks24 View Post

Nothing you can do now except drive it and find out. Enjoy the car, you'll be fine. If it ends up not being fine, there are things you can do then, but worrying about it won't help.
Old 01-05-2021, 07:30 PM   #47
ninetres

Did a bunch of legwork today on this spring debacle. Found the actual TSB document: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...82580-9999.pdf

Also a not-so-fun learning.....should you have Chevy replace a broken spring in your car, or if you wanted to buy a “new” set to swap in for peace of mind.....they are the exact same part number with no way to know if they are from the defective batch or not. The springs are not date coded, or have lot numbers. GMs solution is literally rolling the dice hoping the replacements don’t break also.
Old 01-06-2021, 08:21 AM   #48
SirJangle

Drives: 2021 Acura RDX SH-AWD Advance
Quote:
Did a bunch of legwork today on this spring debacle. Found the actual TSB document: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...82580-9999.pdf

Also a not-so-fun learning.....should you have Chevy replace a broken spring in your car, or if you wanted to buy a “new” set to swap in for peace of mind.....they are the exact same part number with no way to know if they are from the defective batch or not. The springs are not date coded, or have lot numbers. GMs solution is literally rolling the dice hoping the replacements don’t break also.
TOTALLY inexcusable and doesn't promote confidence in GM. They shouldn't be allowed to get away with this. Period.
SirJangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 09:18 AM   #49
FH212

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:

Good info thanks for finding that. So far I have 650 miles and keeping my fingers crossed. My dilemma if mine ended up with this issue was exactly what you are stating, do I trust another set of the same springs?? Or just say screw it and get a aftermarket set and have them installed?? Ugh. Hate having to worry about this.....
2001 Mecham Trans Am #3 - 7.0L LS1
FH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 10:02 AM   #50
ninetres

Quote:
Originally Posted by FH212 View Post
Good info thanks for finding that. So far I have 650 miles and keeping my fingers crossed. My dilemma if mine ended up with this issue was exactly what you are stating, do I trust another set of the same springs?? Or just say screw it and get a aftermarket set and have them installed?? Ugh. Hate having to worry about this.....
Aftermarket springs DO NOT get along with the OEM lifters/AFM hardware that is in all of our cars (although disabled in some via software). The ONLY solution to ensure your springs aren’t defective while maintaining the rest of the OEM valve train is sourcing a set of OEM springs from BEFORE the defective batch went into use......for example many speed shops have sets of stock springs/heads they pulled off earlier Camaro and Corvette LT1/LT4s that are likely low miles.

If you go aftermarket springs you’ll minimally need to run a non-AFM lifter such as an LS7 set.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:47 AM   #51
FH212

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Aftermarket springs DO NOT get along with the OEM lifters/AFM hardware that is in all of our cars (although disabled in some via software). The ONLY solution to ensure your springs aren’t defective while maintaining the rest of the OEM valve train is sourcing a set of OEM springs from BEFORE the defective batch went into use......for example many speed shops have sets of stock springs/heads they pulled off earlier Camaro and Corvette LT1/LT4s that are likely low miles.

If you go aftermarket springs you’ll minimally need to run a non-AFM lifter such as an LS7 set.
Ok did not know that. Thank you for that info!
2001 Mecham Trans Am #3 - 7.0L LS1
FH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:35 AM   #52
Invertalon

Drives: 2021 2SS
So my car was built a few days after the September 15th 'recall/notice'. I think my build date was like September 18th or something.

Thankfully, just hit 1,500 miles and have had no issue. Car has been red lined a few times and driven spirited for sure. So if I had faulty springs, I'd think I would know by now.
Invertalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:05 AM   #53
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Question

Taking in consideration the mentioned valve springs failure issue, maybe the '19 model year would be a safer year to buy a LT4 ZL1, since on the prior years they also have the oil pump issue failure reported on some ZL1s. I don't know if this would also apply to the Camaro SS LT1.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport

Last edited by Bosse'sBoss; 04-18-2021 at 09:33 AM.
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 12:51 PM   #54
JitteryJoe

Drives: 21' LTI, '18 Traverse, '15 Mazda 6
Anyone experience issues after the valve springs were replaced? Mine went at ~250 miles and I'm at 1,400 or so. Started it up one night and the engine definitely seems louder and ticks like crazy. Pops and bangs from the exhaust (standard cheapo version) definitely seem more noticeable as well. Motor still runs strong as far as I can tell and surely if they somehow botched the spring replacement I would either know by now or before the 60K warranty is up.

The ticking noises just really mess with my head especially when you can hear it reverberating off of building or other solid objects I pass by. Getting the oil changed next week so I'm going to have the techs listen too it but there's a 100% chance they aren't going to do squat without a CEL and will pick something "Normal" to blame it on.
JitteryJoe is offline   Reply With Quote