Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 12-28-2020, 02:17 PM   #225
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalfutur View Post
Styling and value.

The Mustang looks tame by comparison, and there are lots of them on the road...so many that they don't turn heads anymore.

For me, the SS with the LT1 is not worth the big price bump for the performance increase over the LGX. So I used the money I saved, both upfront and in 40% less gas cost, for mods. Mostly cosmetic, the exception being the Borla Atak axle-back, with black tips.

A 4 cylinder engine, turbo or not, has no place in a performance coupe, so that alone eliminated the Mustang. At the time that I bought my RS in June '18, I got $8K off MSRP through a combination of GM credits, and employer discounts, AND 0.9% financing for 6 years. Too good a deal to pass up for this Chevy guy.
I personally would choose the V6 over 2.0T if I am in that market, but the 2.0T was made to appeal to the tuner crowd: lower price and turbocharged engines are easier to squeeze power out of through a tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayvan View Post
Deal breaker for sure, for me is the Corrolla-sized fuel tank that the Mustang is stuck with...
It's literally sized like most mid-size Sedans, which means that fuel tank is mostly appropriate for Ecoboost models only.

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 02:23 PM   #226
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Mustang has had the same fuel tank size since S197 which started production in 2004 MY with a V6 and V8. EcoBoost didn’t come in until 2015.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 02:26 PM   #227
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
The 2016 2SS A8 is the first performance car I have owned. I'm getting up there in age and had always wanted a "fast" car and realized that if I didn't do it soon, I might never do it. I took a look at my situation and discovered that I could afford one, which wasn't always the case. So, I decided to go shopping and see what was out there that would fit the bill.

My cousin taught me to drive in a 1962 Corvette with a 4-speed and 327 when I was 7 (not a typo) and I had always loved Corvettes since then. I have seen too many knuckleheads abuse cars, so wanted to something new that I could break in know it was serviced properly. A new Corvette, equipped as I would want it, was still out of reach.

I had owned a 1969 Camaro with the straight 6 way back before they were worth anything, and had liked it. Not a lot of motor, not a high-performance car, but it was a good car. So, I was favorably disposed toward the Camaros. the 2016 was just coming out, and everything I read about it excited me. Well, except the visibility issue, which I decided to judge for myself.

I briefly considered Challenger, but the weight and 3rd place handling didn't appeal to me. I did like the styling and think they got that part pretty right.

I was really thinking that the 2016 V6 Camaro would be just fine for me. The numbers are pretty good, you know? So, I went to a Chevy dealer near me and asked to take one on a test drive. For reasons I've now forgotten, (in retrospect it was probably a dealer "trick" to up-sell) I ended up test driving an SS with the 6.2. Once I was on the open road and stepped on the gas, the song of that big American V8 and the instant acceleration had me pretty well hooked. I completed the test ride and disengaged from the salesman and went home to think about it.

Sharing this with my friends, several of whom had owned recent generation Mustangs, they told me not to buy a Camaro until I had tested a Mustang GT. I thought, "sure why not?" and set about to make that happen. I was no stranger to Mustangs, since my aunt had a 1965 with the 289. I liked them well enough and was looking forward to trying out a new one. I wanted to like it.

Off to the Ford dealer I go and ask to drive a new 2016 Mustang GT. Something about being an older guy with grey hair makes salesmen very cooperative, and we were shortly on our way. The salesman had me drive a loop that was fairly good with varied roads. It was definitely a nice car. But, the interior was not to my taste. It looked kind of cheesy to me and I didn't like the big chrome toggle switches down by the radio. I could maybe have overlooked those things (or tried to find out if alternate interiors were available) if the driving experience had been more engaging.

What I mean by that was that I am realistic about what 99% of my driving is going to be - it'll be highway commuting or smaller local roads. Most of the time there will be other traffic and it will have sufficient density that, for the most part, I will simply be going with the flow. Only a very small % of the time will I be able to drive in a sporty manner without being a jerk.

And this is where the Mustang, as nice as it was, was less engaging than the Camaro. As several others have mentioned, it is about low end torque. The Camaro LT1 has gobs and gobs of torque available right above idle. VERY entertaining to give the loud pedal a little push, even if you're only going up to 40 mph. Big fun. The Mustang, on the other hand, had enough motor to get you going but did not feel or sound in any way exceptional until you spun it pretty far up. Now, spinning it up to say 4k RPM is a lot of fun and somewhere up there is when the motor really starts making power and torque and becomes fun and engaging, and the car will make you grin. BUT, that is where I can spend 1% of my driving time. The other 99% of the time is going to be spent at lower RPMs, and at low RPMs, the Camaro offers a far more engaging driving experience. That may have changed since 2016, and if so, the decision would be a lot harder between the two.

I also thought the Camaro looked cooler than the Mustang, especially in black, but if the driving experiences had been closer that would not have been much of a factor.
Old 12-28-2020, 02:38 PM   #228
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
You know as much as I think those coyote and voodoo engines are intriguing and I will likely one day take one apart to play with, there is something that bugs me about having a timing chain that can wrap around the planet.

The Mustangs are nice cars and yes I looked at GT350s but deep down I’m a Chevy guy. I worked for Ford at an assembly plant and also a Ford dealer as a technician. In this category I personally believe the Camaro, specifically my ZL1 1LE is a far better, more realiable, better performing, better thought out and all around better vehicle than both the GT350 or GT500. Especially for the money.
Don’t get me wrong the 350s and 500s are without doubt impressive but I don’t think they are as impressive as my vehicle for the money spent.
Quite frankly I don’t think it’s very close. Maybe the GT500. But I can’t get one with a manual transmission and the tank is small. I like the styling and interior too. But I like the feeling in my car that it feels like I’ve entered a fighter jet with one purpose and that’s to seek and destroy. I don’t get that feeling in a Mustang.

And then there is a surprise, it’s boiling hot and low and behold I not only have air conditioning but cooled seats.
It’s cold out and I have heated seats. Lots of stuff I really don’t use but it’s there if I want. Lots of options.

My cars MSRP was 82225 Canadian. I didn’t pay that much. I also didn’t have to pay tax luckily. You guys down south do the conversion and you will see I got my car for a steal. I probably wouldn’t have had to pay the tax on the GT350 or Hellcat but still they are more money bottom line. And don’t provide the same type of performance and reliability for extended beatings like the ZL1 was built for.

Don’t get me wrong, a Mustang still turns my head even if it’s a base. They are awesome cars when you discuss the PP1 and PP2 and the 350s and 500s. I just can’t get past a few things that bug me about them.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 02:47 PM   #229
Orange ss

Drives: 19 camaro19mustang72 chevelle 67pon
Best to just have them both..I do wish the camaro trunk opening was the same size as the mustang. The center console is a bit more user-friendly on the mustang. I did have the center Infotainment system stop working first week having the camaro ,seat was coming apart by push button ware you flip the seat forward on the driver seat on the camaro. And the passenger side inner door handle has the chrome peeling off and hurt my kids hand. Worse problem was the right rear control arm had a bolt that broke off while driving. The camaro is more spoiled and drove less and more on the weekends ..the mustang is more the daily. Only issues really have with the mustang is sometimes the tire monitors don't respond and have to reset them. And don't like the cheap inner fenders with the push pins that pop out from time to time.Nether one has back seat and visibility for me is about the same .they both have the A10 transmission..I feel the mustang really changes Characteristics in the different modes compared to the camaro. Camaro definitely has the more Torque on takeoffs..gives it a more muscle feel .and mustang to me feels more sport car.
Attached Images

Orange ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 03:46 PM   #230
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange ss View Post
Best to just have them both..I do wish the camaro trunk opening was the same size as the mustang. The center console is a bit more user-friendly on the mustang. I did have the center Infotainment system stop working first week having the camaro ,seat was coming apart by push button ware you flip the seat forward on the driver seat on the camaro. And the passenger side inner door handle has the chrome peeling off and hurt my kids hand. Worse problem was the right rear control arm had a bolt that broke off while driving. The camaro is more spoiled and drove less and more on the weekends ..the mustang is more the daily. Only issues really have with the mustang is sometimes the tire monitors don't respond and have to reset them. And don't like the cheap inner fenders with the push pins that pop out from time to time.Nether one has back seat and visibility for me is about the same .they both have the A10 transmission..I feel the mustang really changes Characteristics in the different modes compared to the camaro. Camaro definitely has the more Torque on takeoffs..gives it a more muscle feel .and mustang to me feels more sport car.
What hood is that on the SS?

Hopefully not stock, because that would be rather embarrassing for me.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 03:57 PM   #231
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Interesting take from someone who owns both. I hope my (soon to be arriving) ZL1 doesn't have any of those issues (bad luck maybe?) that your SS has had, much less that many quality issues. You might be the first Camaro SS owner I can recall to say the Mustang feels more sports-car like. Why do you think the Mustang feels more like a sports car than the Camaro? Is it the high revving DOHC engine that gives it that different feel?

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 05:00 PM   #232
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Mustang has had the same fuel tank size since S197 which started production in 2004 MY with a V6 and V8. EcoBoost didn’t come in until 2015.
And that's just not a lot of fuel for anything over a turbo I4.

It's been mentioned in another thread: the GT might do okay if there are enough gas stations around, while GT350 and above will give you some range anxiety for sure.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 07:26 PM   #233
Orange ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
What hood is that on the SS?

Hopefully not stock, because that would be rather embarrassing for me.
Anderson Composites
2016 - 2020 CAMARO TYPE-AZ DOUBLE SIDED CARBON FIBER HOOD
Old 12-28-2020, 07:45 PM   #234
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Nice cars Orange. Definitely nice having that choice of which one to drive
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 07:49 PM   #235
Orange ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
Interesting take from someone who owns both. I hope my (soon to be arriving) ZL1 doesn't have any of those issues (bad luck maybe?) that your SS has had, much less that many quality issues. You might be the first Camaro SS owner I can recall to say the Mustang feels more sports-car like. Why do you think the Mustang feels more like a sports car than the Camaro? Is it the high revving DOHC engine that gives it that different feel?
They were minor issues that were easily fixed . Ended up swapping the door panels to 2ss .so they would light up. The sounds for sure makes a difference in these two cars..the mustang has corsa Double x pipe with roush Axel backs ..the camaro with the borla x pipe secondary cat delete with MBRP axle backs.both sound amazing The Camaro has deep aggressive sound with pops and crackling..the mustang sounds better when it up shifts and down shifts at the higher revving. The mustang handles better currently because I did a lot more Suspension upgrades from steeda ..Camaro at this point only Lowering springs. . Also the potential with a whipple on both cars seems to be definitely in favorable for the coyote. And with e85 there was literally nothing to have change for fuel lines on the mustang .its pretty much already set up for flex fuel .congrats on the new ZL1 you are getting ..amazing car
Old 12-28-2020, 07:58 PM   #236
Orange ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyz View Post
Nice cars Orange. Definitely nice having that choice of which one to drive
Thank you
DEFINITELY enjoy driving both ..they both equally get attention. Also both different orange colors happen to go with my old baby as well .
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2020, 08:03 PM   #237
kidamer

Drives: 2016 2ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScatPack View Post
Yeah but once again, Ford has decided to hobble this new Mach1 with just a manual trans option. Chevy FINALLY got their act together on the 1LE and for 2021 you can get an A10 now. That should have been the case since 2017. But one could argue now that a 1SS 1LE with the A10 could be the perfect muscle/pony car. This has me thinking. Aside from the horrible Recaro seats, thats an awesome package with the A10 now.
it comes in auto as well
kidamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 08:11 PM   #238
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Quote:
Thank you
DEFINITELY enjoy driving both ..they both equally get attention. Also both different orange colors happen to go with my old baby as well .
Good looking ‘72 Chevelle!