Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-02-2020, 01:44 PM   #15
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uk Blown SS View Post
Only electrical mod is lambo rear lights
I would think that something like 75% of the questions asked here concern owner-caused problems. Always start with your last change.
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:47 PM   #16
Uk Blown SS

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Right, given up on trying to make these lights work ,can anybody recommend any decent aftermarket LED lights that function correctly ?
Uk Blown SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 02:21 PM   #17
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Good that you found the issue. Another way to do this kind of troubleshooting is to have a meter on the battery set to see the drain, and then pull one fuse at a time until you see the drain stop.
Old 12-03-2020, 03:21 PM   #18
Uk Blown SS

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
The draw looked OK when I checked it, more of a problem over time, week or two before it would go flat.
Uk Blown SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 06:11 PM   #19
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Good that you found the issue. Another way to do this kind of troubleshooting is to have a meter on the battery set to see the drain, and then pull one fuse at a time until you see the drain stop.
I wish it was still that simple. That used to be a great way to troubleshoot, before just about everything became controlled by computer modules. You may get lucky with that method, but if the drain is occurring by a sleeping/waking module, it could become almost impossible to have the correct fuse pulled at the same time everything else is in sleep mode enabling you to get a true reading of the problem circuit.
I had a parasitic drain a few years ago, and had a technician at the dealer check it out when I was getting a free oil change. I had a suspicion that it might be related to the LED reverse lights I installed, but after looking it over with the scan tool and meters, he said that didn't appear to be the problem, everything looked normal and I needed to bring the car back so he could hook it up to a recording meter for hours or maybe overnight to see where the source of the problem was. Before I brought it back, I put the OEM lights back in and no more drain.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 11:27 PM   #20
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17rsvert View Post
I wish it was still that simple. That used to be a great way to troubleshoot, before just about everything became controlled by computer modules. You may get lucky with that method, but if the drain is occurring by a sleeping/waking module, it could become almost impossible to have the correct fuse pulled at the same time everything else is in sleep mode enabling you to get a true reading of the problem circuit.
I had a parasitic drain a few years ago, and had a technician at the dealer check it out when I was getting a free oil change. I had a suspicion that it might be related to the LED reverse lights I installed, but after looking it over with the scan tool and meters, he said that didn't appear to be the problem, everything looked normal and I needed to bring the car back so he could hook it up to a recording meter for hours or maybe overnight to see where the source of the problem was. Before I brought it back, I put the OEM lights back in and no more drain.
Yep, lots of "key off" (aka always-on) monitoring circuits in our cars. Any one of them goes out of spec and the connected computers will wake up, stay on, and kill the battery.

Any one of a myriad of non-critical faults and you get stuck with a non-running car. Really stupid to design a car's electrical system that way problem, but it's what they designed.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:13 AM   #21
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17rsvert View Post
You make some excellent points. The method I described is one I have used on another vehicle with a canbus where I was having a battery draining problem. I was lucky in my case that it was not a unit turning on in the middle of the night, because (obviously?) I don't have a recording meter.

Still, I managed to figure out what was drawing all the power. One might get lucky and do the same with our Camaros. At least it is a simple and easy sort of test to do, and if the draw is happening at the time, it can be found. As you point out, this way is not as comprehensive as what the dealer can do, but I like to exhaust all of the free options before handing over my hard-earned $$$ to the dealer.