Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 07-15-2022, 01:14 PM   #1
FLATOUTRACING

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Strange No Start Issues

I know there are quite a few threads discussions on the starter issues. I have a 2016 SS. I am the second owner. I have had issues mutiple times over the past two years in very hot weather where the car cranks very slowly and then won't turn over. Sometimes a jump will work, other times it will jump start but all the warning lights come on the dash and it runs rough with tachometer and speedometer not working. Sometimes it simply won't crank over at all but in those cases the headlights work fine, the dash is fully lit but it can't be jumped even at the battery in the trunk. Had a new battery put in about two months ago when I got stranded but yesterday it happened again. Technician said battery checked out fine but at one point he said it appeared the alternator might not be charging but 30 minutes later he was able to jump start it and all the readings were normal.

Any guidance before I replace the starter or alternator?
FLATOUTRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 01:22 PM   #2
Matt1LE

Drives: 2020 3LT Camaro 3.6L 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLATOUTRACING View Post
I know there are quite a few threads discussions on the starter issues. I have a 2016 SS. I am the second owner. I have had issues mutiple times over the past two years in very hot weather where the car cranks very slowly and then won't turn over. Sometimes a jump will work, other times it will jump start but all the warning lights come on the dash and it runs rough with tachometer and speedometer not working. Sometimes it simply won't crank over at all but in those cases the headlights work fine, the dash is fully lit but it can't be jumped even at the battery in the trunk. Had a new battery put in about two months ago when I got stranded but yesterday it happened again. Technician said battery checked out fine but at one point he said it appeared the alternator might not be charging but 30 minutes later he was able to jump start it and all the readings were normal.

Sounds like the typical ground wire issue many owners have.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586153

https://www.gen5diy.com/collections/...ground-harness
Matt1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 03:54 PM   #3
Nitefall17

Drives: Camaro 1SS A8 Vert
Get a newer starter, they work alot better. There has been 3 version that I know of.
Also replace start relays under the hood fuse box. Its the big ones.
Nitefall17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 05:53 PM   #4
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLATOUTRACING View Post

The 2016’s should also have a heat shield around the starter and I believe they came from the factory without one installed. Check out this thread.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1LE View Post
What Matt1LE said should be done too.

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 06:12 PM   #5
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Agreed with the other guys, also, how old is the battery you have in there now?
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 09:55 PM   #6
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Your starter may need replaced at this point if you have had multiple hot start failures. I recommend you go ahead and replace the starter and then put the additional engine to body ground cable on it.

Read my thread on this that Matt1LE provided. Many, many 2016 SS's have the hot start slow crank issue and the additional ground cable fixed the problem. I was plagued by it just like you. I added the ground cable in December 2020 and it eliminated the problem.

Good luck and keep us posted.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 09:57 PM   #7
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
I’d start with the ground wire too. I have a 22 and noticed a slow start after a drive on a warm day. Adding the ground wire seems to have fixed it for me.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote