Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-30-2018, 03:21 PM   #71
Michael2000

Drives: .
We'll the old man C7 Grand Sport still turns a faster Nurburgring and VIR times than the ZL1, and the ZL1 has 190 more horsepower. There is something to be said for low weight.

I doubt very much the LT5 would fit under the hood of a Camaro. Even if they made a new hood, you wouldn't be able to see out of the car. Look how high the hood is on the ZL1. Now put that on a Camaro with the already limited forward visibility.
Michael2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 03:34 PM   #72
FringBirdAloha

Drives: Pre-production ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post
We'll the old man C7 Grand Sport still turns a faster Nurburgring and VIR times than the ZL1, and the ZL1 has 190 more horsepower. There is something to be said for low weight.

I doubt very much the LT5 would fit under the hood of a Camaro. Even if they made a new hood, you wouldn't be able to see out of the car. Look how high the hood is on the ZL1. Now put that on a Camaro with the already limited forward visibility.
Many people have fit a larger supercharger UNDER the hood of a ZL1 let alone if a new shaker style Camaro hood was designed for it. The LT5 will definitely fit.
FringBirdAloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 02:19 AM   #73
Stoner

Drives: 2017 ZL1 HBM, M6
Quote:

Have you spent much time behind the wheel of a 6gen? I am only 5'10" and have no problem seeing out of my ZL1. Even if they put a hood on similar to the new vet, vision would not be a problem.
Stoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:53 AM   #74
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Quote:

Did GM ever release an official time for the GS? I saw Jim Mero ran a 7.27 in one, and I’m going to assume that was on Cup 2 tires with the Z07 package.

The A10 ZL1 ran a 7.29 on regular Goodyear street tires. The 1LE version ran a 7.16. That’s a much more fair comparison as far as tires and aero go. I have no doubt a regular ZL1 with some Cup 2s or Supercar 3Rs would shave a considerable amount of time off its lap.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:51 AM   #75
Doin It For Dale

Drives: Bald Eagle,
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
Did GM ever release an official time for the GS? I saw Jim Mero ran a 7.27 in one, and I’m going to assume that was on Cup 2 tires with the Z07 package.

The A10 ZL1 ran a 7.29 on regular Goodyear street tires. The 1LE version ran a 7.16. That’s a much more fair comparison as far as tires and aero go. I have no doubt a regular ZL1 with some Cup 2s or Supercar 3Rs would shave a considerable amount of time off its lap.
Yeah, power wins at the Ring. Put the ZL1 1LE and the GS Z07 on a regular track, and they're dead even.

.01 second difference at NCM
.12 second difference at Willow Springs

I'll take the N/A Vette for track sessions and I'll enjoy its rubber bushings and magnetic dampers on the ride home.

Why do they need to put an LT5 in the Camaro if they have two shiny new twin-turbo V8s that are almost ready for production?
Doin It For Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:06 PM   #76
Michael2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by FringBirdAloha View Post
Many people have fit a larger supercharger UNDER the hood of a ZL1 let alone if a new shaker style Camaro hood was designed for it. The LT5 will definitely fit.

The LT5's supercharger is 2.5" inches taller than the LT4's. They have that much room under the hood? Sounds doubtful without a hood change.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:09 PM   #77
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
The LT5's supercharger is 2.5" inches taller than the LT4's. They have that much room under the hood? Sounds doubtful without a hood change.
No, there is not that much room. Furthermore, that's not the only dimension that would have to be changed because of the height. I wrote a fairly in depth post on this already. It's not going to happen, and it shouldn't happen, as cool as it would be. Just because people put a .3L more blower under it doesn't mean that the 2650 will fit...
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:11 PM   #78
Michael2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post

Sorry, I can't seem to find it now. Jim Mero ran a 7:22.68 in a C6 Z06 that had 150 horsepower less than the ZL1. The Corvette is lighter, lower, and has a lower C.G. The ZL1 still puts in a good showing.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:49 AM   #79
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Quote:
Sorry, I can't seem to find it now. Jim Mero ran a 7:22.68 in a C6 Z06 that had 150 horsepower less than the ZL1. The Corvette is lighter, lower, and has a lower C.G. The ZL1 still puts in a good showing.
I agree, the C6Z was a heavy hitter for its power level. but that car was on cup tires. Tires make such a big difference on these hot laps. I’d love to see what a regular A10 ZL1 with some similar R compounds could do.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:51 AM   #80
Stealth7

Drives: Gen V Viper GTS
Who cares about a Grand Sport or c6z? Those cars are yesterday's news and behind the times in the technology and power trains. Time to move on and focus on the future of the Camaro.
Stealth7 is offline   Reply With Quote