Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-28-2016, 04:09 PM   #15
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
So...... those that buy brand new cars that get dropped off at Lingenfelter, Callaway, etc. that immediately throw on headers, tune, supercharger etc and do multiple full pass dyno runs are setting up those engines to die very soon due to not following the full break in? Maybe they're not beating them to death red light to red light, but those shops do dyno run the car after full install and that's not only WOT but w/ much more power.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:37 PM   #16
Blazin383

Drives: 2016 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
So...... those that buy brand new cars that get dropped off at Lingenfelter, Callaway, etc. that immediately throw on headers, tune, supercharger etc and do multiple full pass dyno runs are setting up those engines to die very soon due to not following the full break in? Maybe they're not beating them to death red light to red light, but those shops do dyno run the car after full install and that's not only WOT but w/ much more power.
More good points!
Blazin383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:30 AM   #17
Bobfly
OspreyTech

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Umm yeah,......mine got spanked pretty good at around the 300 mile mark. And again at the 350 mile mark etc. 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear pulls to 6,000 rpm roughly twice a day. Probably been up to 130 at least twice but was too busy to look down at the speedo (HUD not too bright in direct sunlight). My 18 yr old daughter said a bad word on her first ride, lol. Now she wants one of her own for college. Car runs good (understatement of the year) and no ill effects from break in. 1100 miles and it's time to take it to the track.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:05 AM   #18
Camaro Mark III

Drives: 2016 Black Camaro 2SS, 8Speed
Just got new one a few days ago..

Until today, 50 miles only!!

I have 2016 2SS with 8 speed transmission. I've never exceeded 80mph but I did exceed 4K rpms a couple of times. And I've not known and heard about that RPM rules.

Anyway, I heard that I should do the first oil change as soon as mine reaches 3K miles to prevent possible accumulation of metalic precipitation in the engine during the initial period.

Soon, I am traveling from California to New Mexico on my new Camaro!
Camaro Mark III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:59 AM   #19
Callaway Chris

Drives: Callaway Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
So...... those that buy brand new cars that get dropped off...
I've got 221,950 miles, and going, on the 2010 SC606 Grand Sport now. It's never had a mechanical issue or in the shop, other than for 30 oil changes, 19 sets of tires, 5 sets of brakes, 2 sets of wiper blades, and 2 sets of wheel bearings.

It's been on over a half-doz. tracks, and ran 10.8@128 in the 1/4 mi., then driven home, close to 200 miles from the track.

Driven rigorously, yet intelligently, it's stood the test of time from day #1

So, really more in the overall care and preventative maintenance, etc.
Callaway Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:13 PM   #20
Bobfly
OspreyTech

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callaway Chris View Post
I've got 221,950 miles, and going, on the 2010 SC606 Grand Sport now. It's never had a mechanical issue or in the shop, other than for 30 oil changes, 19 sets of tires, 5 sets of brakes, 2 sets of wiper blades, and 2 sets of wheel bearings.

It's been on over a half-doz. tracks, and ran 10.8@128 in the 1/4 mi., then driven home, close to 200 miles from the track.

Driven rigorously, yet intelligently, it's stood the test of time from day #1

So, really more in the overall care and preventative maintenance, etc.
You only used 2 sets of wiper blades in 221k miles?!? WOW! You must live in the desert, lol.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:36 PM   #21
tsincaat

Drives: 2016 Camaro
With topics like this it's hard to get a conclusive answer one way or another as everyone has anecdotal experiences that don't really prove anything one way on another, and I am guessing there aren't any public scientific studies on following break-in instructions vs not doing so.

I am sure certain people who might have some hard data on this topic like GM engineers or people who heavily mod these engines for increased horsepower or racing. Those sorts of people might have worthwhile opinions, but I don't know if they tend to talk about this?

Personally I don't drive as much as many here, and don't want to have to wait months to really see what the car can do, so I'm just going to enjoy it and drive the way I feel like.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:44 PM   #22
Modshack

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsincaat View Post

I am sure certain people who might have some hard data on this topic like GM engineers or people who heavily mod these engines for increased horsepower or racing. Those sorts of people might have worthwhile opinions, but I don't know if they tend to talk about this?
They do tend to talk about it ( hence the recommendations in the owners manual)
On the C7 Corvette, a large swath of the Tach remains in the red until the break in period passes then it disappears. Cool reminder actually.

You'll NEVER get consensus on this and the car will likely be on it's 2nd or third owner before any results of abuse will quantifiably show up
Old 04-04-2016, 03:00 PM   #23
Callaway Chris

Drives: Callaway Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobfly View Post
You only used 2 sets of wiper blades in 221k miles?!? WOW! You must live in the desert, lol.
It actually could us another set... Truth be told, I usually let the rain just bead over the glass...

Here's a nugget of info - your engine has probably already seen redline after it was assembled and QC'd at the assembly point.
Callaway Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:16 PM   #24
KyleL

Drives: Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin383 View Post
That's a good question, but when I bought my new 2SS the salesman said the factory tells them to just drive them and don't worry about break-in.
The ford salesmen also say that the new mustang will beat a c6 right off the showroom. anyone know what 2015+ mustang tail lights look like? Lol

But I'd agree in that aspect, except to vary the rpms and as long as you have good maintenance practices, you'll be fine. When we built my 468ci for my jet boat, that's how we broke it in, up and down the river with varying rpms from 800-6000 (my redline for that motor). My SS is seeing the same treatment, and at 299 miles it's still fine LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callaway Chris View Post
Here's a nugget of info - your engine has probably already seen redline after it was assembled and QC'd at the assembly point.
+1!

Look up some of the test GM performs on their LT1's and tell me if you think a little 6500 rpm street blast is gonna hurt it.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:31 AM   #25
z28guy30

Drives: 2016 camaro 1ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleL View Post
The ford salesmen also say that the new mustang will beat a c6 right off the showroom. anyone know what 2015+ mustang tail lights look like? Lol

But I'd agree in that aspect, except to vary the rpms and as long as you have good maintenance practices, you'll be fine. When we built my 468ci for my jet boat, that's how we broke it in, up and down the river with varying rpms from 800-6000 (my redline for that motor). My SS is seeing the same treatment, and at 299 miles it's still fine LOL.

+1!

Look up some of the test GM performs on their LT1's and tell me if you think a little 6500 rpm street blast is gonna hurt it.
The 5.0 Mustang will definitely not beat a C6 Vette off the showroom. The 2016 Camaro SS might, but neither will beat a C7.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:41 AM   #26
tsincaat

Drives: 2016 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modshack View Post
They do tend to talk about it ( hence the recommendations in the owners manual)
On the C7 Corvette, a large swath of the Tach remains in the red until the break in period passes then it disappears. Cool reminder actually.
Cool regarding the Corvette. Yeah, I am aware of the manual suggestion. I meant more like some study or evidence for the effect of the break in procedure they recommend on a new car versus those cars that aren't 'broken in'. The lack of any recent data on the topic is why this thread exists.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:52 PM   #27
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Manufacturers set break-in procedures that result in the fewest warranty claims.
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:56 PM   #28
Modshack

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Manufacturers set break-in procedures that result in the fewest warranty claims.

Bingo!.....Now if they could only get the customers to follow them!