#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-03-2018, 11:28 AM   #1
Pollock
LT4 M6

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Do you track in the rain?

My first scheduled event is in late April. The extended forecast shows rain both days. Of course that could change. As you know its been rather cool and wet this spring at least here in Indiana.

Anyway. Do I go in the rain or stay home? What have your experiences been in the rain? I am a Novice driver BTW. The windows have to be down. Not liking the idea of the inside of my car getting soaked then smelling like mildew.
Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:33 AM   #2
R3ctivision
1LE Convert

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Go. Bring lots of towels, tarps, and reserve a garage if you can.

My first track day was in an insane deluge and I learned a TON. Also, FWIW, the wear on the car is much less in the rain, yet you still learn a lot about car control.
R3ctivision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:50 AM   #3
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
It’s actually a BLAST to drive in track in the rain. It removes all pressure to set an impressive lap time, and you learn more about controlling your car than you would in 10 dry days.

Make sure you have good all season tires though or you’ll have a bad time.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:58 AM   #4
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
One of the reasons I'm surprised Michelin or Continental haven't made a 305 rear tire to match their available 285/30R20 all season tires.
Boost Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:01 PM   #5
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
I need to get a daily driver that is worthy of a track day. I haven't done many track days as I don't drive my "good" cars (2015 Z06 and soon also a 2018 ZL1 1LE) in the rain and signing up the day before if the weather is nice leaves me out looking in usually. I don't mind driving in the rain just not with my "good" cars. I may pick up a used 1ss 1le at some point. I currently drive my 2017 gmc Duramax as a daily and my Wife has a 2015 bmw x5 diesel with the m-sport pkg. Maybe I can borrow the wife's car or trade it in on the x5m in the same color when she's not looking that way if it rains on a track day i can use it.
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:01 PM   #6
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollock View Post
My first scheduled event is in late April. The extended forecast shows rain both days. Of course that could change. As you know its been rather cool and wet this spring at least here in Indiana.

Anyway. Do I go in the rain or stay home? What have your experiences been in the rain? I am a Novice driver BTW. The windows have to be down. Not liking the idea of the inside of my car getting soaked then smelling like mildew.
Definitly go, regardless of the forcast. Driving in the rain is a very valuable teaching tool. The car will behave the same way in the rain it behaves in the dry, just at much lower limits. Rain driving teaches you to be extremely dilliberate and intentional with your inputs.

Also, if the event is @ Putnam Park, it is one of the best tracks in the rain now. It was just repaved 2 years ago, so there isn't rubber built up on "the line" yet. Putnam is also one of the safest tracks in the midwest, you can only hit objects in turn 9 or 10, there is runoff for DAYS in T1-8.

I've had my SS 1LE in torential rain showers on track and got the interior wet, no mildew or smells. It is mostly the door panel that gets soaked, just bring a a towel to wipe it down after sessions.

Plus, in 12 years of track driving and ~200 days on track, I've only had 1 weekend that was a total washout (last month @ Barber!), meaning no dry sessions. Even if rain is forcasted, it doesn't mean you won't get considerable dry track time.
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:04 PM   #7
Provoste

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
Huh- all seasons? Soft compound with water siping/voiding is key. Best tire I've EVER driven in the rain on track is the RE71R. They're insane. Cup 2's are damn good in the wet too.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:13 PM   #8
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
Huh- all seasons? Soft compound with water siping/voiding is key. Best tire I've EVER driven in the rain on track is the RE71R. They're insane. Cup 2's are damn good in the wet too.
OEM GY's are pretty damn impressive in the wet. I would suggest they are better than the RE71s.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:15 PM   #9
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollock View Post

It was said above, but driving in the rain will educate you about what you and the car can do far faster than dry track days.

The hassle is your spot in grid. If you can get a garage or bring a shelter, then do it.

BTW - OEM GY's are amazing in the rain.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:16 PM   #10
Provoste

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
OEM GY's are pretty damn impressive in the wet. I would suggest they are better than the RE71s.
Thanks, I’ve actually driven them both in the rain on the SS 1LE, and at the same track (barber). OE Goodyear G3’s do great in the rain. RE71R’s longitudinal grip specifically, is much better.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:38 PM   #11
Badgerbimmer

Drives: ZL1 A10
I have a set of rains for my M3 track car. But to be honest I now don't see the point unless you are practicing for racing in the wet. The point to me of non-competitive lapping is going fast and having fun. Of course that could be influenced by doing this type of thing for 20 years and being picky now.....
Badgerbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:31 PM   #12
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
but did you die? lol
Old 04-03-2018, 03:21 PM   #13
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbimmer View Post
I have a set of rains for my M3 track car. But to be honest I now don't see the point unless you are practicing for racing in the wet. The point to me of non-competitive lapping is going fast and having fun. Of course that could be influenced by doing this type of thing for 20 years and being picky now.....
There is a good deal to learn in limited-grip racing or performance driving activities that translate to everyday use and safer driving.

The potential for an accident in inclement weather is a lot great than when it's 75-F, sunny and dry out.

In relation to racing, it further pushes the importance of being smooth while driving and helps get rid of overly-aggressive bad habits.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:22 PM   #14
Pollock
LT4 M6

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Sounds like I should go then. I have a lot to learn.
Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote