Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 04-02-2018, 04:58 AM   #1
Zackbo

Drives: 14 Ram 1500
Went to buy C7; now leaning toward 2SS

So I went to the local dealership this weekend looking to get my first Vette. I'll be 50 this year, very financially stable at this stage of my life, and always been a car enthusiast and wanted a C7. I test drove a few and loved them (Stingrays, 2LT, 7M &A8) but was a little discouraged how 'unmotivated' the seller was. So I left to give my wife and I time to process and make a decision when I see a used 2017 hyperblue 2SS on another lot. I immediately said to my wife, 'that is the one Camaro I've seen that could solve my 'Vette itch. It has the white vinyl SS stripes which I absolutely love on that color.

So I turn into this dealership and give the 2SS a test drive. Very impressed, even coming directly from driving the C7. I'm saying to myself, 'I love the C7, but do I love it $20k+ more?'. The answer, at least for me, is no. So I'm in love with this 2SS and have every intention on purchasing it or another one this week.

So here's the deal...

The used 2017 has 21k miles (seems like a lot), a K&N CAI, and something has been done to the stock exhaust because it sounded absolutely incredible, but didn't have the quad tips, so I know it can't have NPP from the factory. It does have magride which is a must. A8 tranny, which I'm a little concerned about after reading over this forum yesterday. They are asking $36k which seems a little high. There is a new 2018 hyperblue with NPP and magride locally that I can get for $42k, but doesn't have the white stripes. I'm assuming this is something I can have done if I want.

There is also a new 2SS 1LE locally that can be had for $45k, which after reading up on here seems to be desirable, but I'm not sure if it's something I will utilize much since I probably will never track it and want more of a daily driver.

So do you guys think I should be concerned about the mods and the miles on the used 2017? Is there anything I can do to check out the condition of the A8 tranny? Should I just go with the new one for $6k more and add my own SS stripes?

Thanks ahead for any input, guys. It's a really big decision for me.
Zackbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:13 AM   #2
Soleil

Drives: Camaro 50th anniversary edition
It’s not a easy one. 21k miles in how many month? Who drove the car? Young older person.......I personally would go with 6k more new one. Ok I have NPP and MRC and would never buy a car without. Concerning the 1LE it is nice to have but if your not going to track it there is no need. The stripes you can add any time. No big deal.
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 06:17 AM   #3
Ecchi667

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, 6spd M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackbo View Post
So I went to the local dealership this weekend looking to get my first Vette. I'll be 50 this year, very financially stable at this stage of my life, and always been a car enthusiast and wanted a C7. I test drove a few and loved them (Stingrays, 2LT, 7M &A8) but was a little discouraged how 'unmotivated' the seller was. So I left to give my wife and I time to process and make a decision when I see a used 2017 hyperblue 2SS on another lot. I immediately said to my wife, 'that is the one Camaro I've seen that could solve my 'Vette itch. It has the white vinyl SS stripes which I absolutely love on that color.

So I turn into this dealership and give the 2SS a test drive. Very impressed, even coming directly from driving the C7. I'm saying to myself, 'I love the C7, but do I love it $20k+ more?'. The answer, at least for me, is no. So I'm in love with this 2SS and have every intention on purchasing it or another one this week.

So here's the deal...

The used 2017 has 21k miles (seems like a lot), a K&N CAI, and something has been done to the stock exhaust because it sounded absolutely incredible, but didn't have the quad tips, so I know it can't have NPP from the factory. It does have magride which is a must. A8 tranny, which I'm a little concerned about after reading over this forum yesterday. They are asking $36k which seems a little high. There is a new 2018 hyperblue with NPP and magride locally that I can get for $42k, but doesn't have the white stripes. I'm assuming this is something I can have done if I want.

There is also a new 2SS 1LE locally that can be had for $45k, which after reading up on here seems to be desirable, but I'm not sure if it's something I will utilize much since I probably will never track it and want more of a daily driver.

So do you guys think I should be concerned about the mods and the miles on the used 2017? Is there anything I can do to check out the condition of the A8 tranny? Should I just go with the new one for $6k more and add my own SS stripes?

I'd look for a manual one you can also test drive and see how you like the different transmissions. You might also consider the ZL1 if you were willing to pay vette money originally - worth a test drive I would imagine, and you have the A10 there if you would rather stick with an auto and avoid the potential A8 issues.

Also, once you know exactly what you want, don't be afraid to look further afield and get a car shipped to you, or even fly out to pick one up out-of-state for bigger savings. There is a very cheap place down in the Miami area (Bomnin Chevrolet I think?) - you could fly down and have a mini vacation with the wife and enjoy the drive back along the Florida coast.
Ecchi667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 06:21 AM   #4
RedDragonSS2.0

Drives: 2017 Summit White Camaro SS 1LE
Are you the type of person that likes to modify your cars?

I bought the 1LE personally because it had everything I would have done to an SS done from factory (it’s more than just visual too. If your into searching for more power you’ll be happy knowing you have upgraded components.

I haven’t tracked the car cause I haven’t had the time, it drives great on the street and when you lean into it the car hugs you and ask for another ��

The question you should be asking yourself is do you want to drive manual or auto? Can you live with the potential shudder in both the camaro and vette with the A8!!?

Stripes and accessories are all in the eye of its beholder so have fun.

Can you afford a 10spd ZL1? Best of all worlds there lol

Rotofab Intake, Borla 60606 Midpipes, Corsa Extreme Axleback
RedDragonSS2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 06:40 AM   #5
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Quite a few of us here on the forums traded in our C7's to SS's, including me.

It really depends on what you want out of your car. I'm older, 47, with back problems from my days in the Navy, and wanted a "fun (V8) daily driver". I had my '16 C7 2LT with all the options for 18 months. It's everything you think a C7 is... but, when the "holy shit this car is <fast, sexy, snarling, etc..> wore off, it was kind of a pain in the ass to get in and out of every day. The cockpit wasn't 'everyday friendly' for me, as I take a bag, and laptop to work, etc.

So I traded it in for a '17 2SS 50th Anniv convertible, and I freakin' love this car. It's *exactly* what I wanted, and it's 95% of the usable performance of the C7.

+1 to "if you aren't going to track it, I would skip the 1LE"

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:13 AM   #6
MATTHEWLONG

Drives: 2017 CAMARO 2SS
I went to buy a c7 and walked out with a 2ss. Really happy with the decision, this time round anyway. :-)
MATTHEWLONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:36 AM   #7
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:

So here's the deal...

OP here is my story.

I have wanted a Corvette ever since I was little. But in my younger years I was putting myslef through school then married. The kids came fast and even though things were going very well for us I couldn't bring myself to spend the cash for the dream car.

But once the kids grew up and we paid off all the student loans the wife said go for it, get whatever you want. At the time I was driving a 2013 1LE Camaro. The C7s just came out and a loaded Z51 manual was calling to me.

I drove one and surprisingly I liked driving the 1LE more. It handled just as well, had more room inside, was easier to get in and out of, and was a ton more practical with a back seat that folds down. Of course the Vette was faster. So I decided to twin turbo the 1LE. That took care of the speed deficit and more. It was fun for a while but that car had a sad ending. I wound up next with a 5th gen ZL1 which GM bought back. This led to a CA6 M6 SS. With bolton mods this SS was every bit as fast in every way as a Z51 C7. And it had an almost usable back seat. It really is a practical Corvette with a back seat and to me is even more fun to drive, especially on a long trip.

But after a while that dream car idea still called to me. And I started seeing great deals on ZL1s. There is a Camaro M6 bog builtin by GM that prevents M6 V8 Camaros from being as fast as auto Camaros. I ALWAYS buy manual hi-po cars. But life is for learning, so I drove an A10 ZL1. Long story short there is a Red Hot A10 ZL1 in my garage. My dream car at last! I even bought a car cover for it.

Don't worry about an A8 SS, they are great. but if the launching bog does not bother you the M6 is equally great.

As for price I recently sold my 2016 loaded M6 SS with 13k miles for less than $30K, so the deals are out there if you search and are willing to travel to buy a car. It is a fun adventure! Also as to miles a good portion of those miles were earned going to Atco. So while miles will pull down the value of a car don't let them discourage you from buying a well maintained car like mine was. Miles really do not have a story you can read unless you buy from the original owner.

Good luck!
Old 04-02-2018, 07:36 AM   #8
bturner2

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue, Sunroof, NPP, MRC
21K is a lot of miles. For $6K more I'd get the options I wanted and pay the extra. I'd also have a hard time buying a new Camaro without NPP and MRC. 2 must haves for me.
bturner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:48 AM   #9
NobleSS

Drives: 17 Camaro 2SS 50th Anniversary Conv
Smile

Quote:

So here's the deal...

Do yourself a big favor and get the new one with NPP and MRC! They are the two options that are mandatory for me with a Camaro.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:04 AM   #10
Zackbo

Thanks so much for all the feedback, guys! I'm sold on the 2SS over the C7 now; it's just a matter of which one.

ZL1 is just too much car; could afford it but don't need it.

Curr - I'm ex-Nav too; bubblehead to be exact.

All things being equal I'd rather have the M6 but traffic here in Charlotte can get bad on my commute and that's when I won't like it. I don't think the 'shudder' issue will bother me on the A8; I just don't want the tranny falling out of the bottom of the car once I pull off the lot.

RedDragonSS2.0 - My last 'sports' car was a 04 STI. I did all my own tuning and built my own engines in my garage. Around 650WHP before I let it all go. I like modding but I will never get back into it to the extent I was with Subaru's; just not enough time for all my other hobbies and this stupid invention they call work. I doubt I will want to mod the Camaro much short of a CAI and spare set of rims and sticky tires; knock on wood. The LE1 is tempting, but if I understand correctly it doesn't have magride option so suspension is tight all the time, and that might get old for a old geezer like me.

Ecchi667 - expanding my search has really helped a lot; there seems to be a ton of options within 100 miles or so.

So where would I go to have the vinyl stripes added? Or could I just do it myself? Or should I just find a hyperblue that already has them?
Old 04-02-2018, 08:08 AM   #11
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
You want NPP and magride- trust me......

Stripes- easy to install

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:54 AM   #12
RedDragonSS2.0

Drives: 2017 Summit White Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Thanks so much for all the feedback, guys! I'm sold on the 2SS over the C7 now; it's just a matter of which one.

ZL1 is just too much car; could afford it but don't need it.

Curr - I'm ex-Nav too; bubblehead to be exact.

All things being equal I'd rather have the M6 but traffic here in Charlotte can get bad on my commute and that's when I won't like it. I don't think the 'shudder' issue will bother me on the A8; I just don't want the tranny falling out of the bottom of the car once I pull off the lot.

RedDragonSS2.0 - My last 'sports' car was a 04 STI. I did all my own tuning and built my own engines in my garage. Around 650WHP before I let it all go. I like modding but I will never get back into it to the extent I was with Subaru's; just not enough time for all my other hobbies and this stupid invention they call work. I doubt I will want to mod the Camaro much short of a CAI and spare set of rims and sticky tires; knock on wood. The LE1 is tempting, but if I understand correctly it doesn't have magride option so suspension is tight all the time, and that might get old for a old geezer like me.

Ecchi667 - expanding my search has really helped a lot; there seems to be a ton of options within 100 miles or so.

So where would I go to have the vinyl stripes added? Or could I just do it myself? Or should I just find a hyperblue that already has them?

Mag ride is standard on the 1LE I drive it in touring mode everyday lol
I happen to think the options it comes with are worth it.

Sticky tires
Wider wheels
Better shifter
Mag ride
Bigger brembos (painted red)
Plus all the cosmetics and performance upgrades

Win win situation, price out the modifications you would do the the SS and you’ll see that you’ll spend more every time.

Do yourself a favor and atleast test drive it before signing papers..

Rotofab Intake, Borla 60606 Midpipes, Corsa Extreme Axleback
RedDragonSS2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:05 AM   #13
Zackbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDragonSS2.0 View Post
Mag ride is standard on the 1LE I drive it in touring mode everyday lol
I happen to think the options it comes with are worth it.

Sticky tires
Wider wheels
Better shifter
Mag ride
Bigger brembos (painted red)
Plus all the cosmetics and performance upgrades

Win win situation, price out the modifications you would do the the SS and you’ll see that you’ll spend more every time.

Do yourself a favor and atleast test drive it before signing papers..
Hmmmm.... your'e tempting me. I have noticed most dealers aren't as willing to come down as much on the 1LE's.

I was really surprised what a torquey beast the 2SS I drove was, and I'm used to gobs of torque in my STI. What was even nicer was the throttle response; I got so used to all the lag of a Garrett GT35R on a 2.5L I had forgot what quick throttle response was like.

I'm assuming all 2SS's come with limited-slip diff? I had a hard time keeping it from getting loose on the test drive so wasn't sure.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:17 AM   #14
Magnum922

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, A8
I have a 2017 2ss a8 with 1700 miles now. You defiantly want the npp, it's great its adjustable. Mine doesn't have mag ride. I drove one with mag ride and didn't notice any difference. I guess you have to live in a place with really bumpy roads to notice as difference. Go with new one. The used ones most likely got beat hard. Plus you'll have 0 miles to start.
Magnum922 is offline   Reply With Quote