Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Phastek Performance

Old 03-31-2018, 06:19 PM   #1
DarkPaladin

Drives: 2017 Camarao SS
Pressure bleeder

Hey guys. Was thinking of replacing my brake fluid with DOT4 when I do my replacement calipers in the spring on my 17 2SS.

Would this be good? or? Also What is the preferred brake fluid?

Is it the right cap too?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ktop&gw_sims-3
DarkPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:47 PM   #2
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Thats the one i use. But with the billet aluminum cap. Used it on the 5th gen camaro too. Really easy.

Dot4 is fine. Brand is preference of use. Ive ran valvoline, ate, motul, and will be using castrol srf this year.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:19 AM   #3
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Any specific reason for DOT4? Only benefit to using DOT4 over DOT3 is the higher boiling temp. If you plan to track the car then DOT4 is a must since you'll see temps high enough to boil DOT3. If you're only driving on the street, DOT4 is only going to cost you more and won't give you any benefit over DOT3.

As for the bleeder choice, I've never personally used one but I've heard only good things about it. Planning to get one myself in the near future.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:41 PM   #4
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1BC View Post
Any specific reason for DOT4? Only benefit to using DOT4 over DOT3 is the higher boiling temp. If you plan to track the car then DOT4 is a must since you'll see temps high enough to boil DOT3. If you're only driving on the street, DOT4 is only going to cost you more and won't give you any benefit over DOT3.

As for the bleeder choice, I've never personally used one but I've heard only good things about it. Planning to get one myself in the near future.

The valvoline stuff ypu can get at autozone or advance auto. Its dot3/4. Like 6-8$ for a decently large bottle. Ive used that for autox...decent compromise

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...1458/7080002-P

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:53 PM   #5
cleoent

Drives: 16' Camaro E-Force SS
Please remember that dot4 will need annual replacements. In exchange for a higher boiling point you need to change the fluid more often..
cleoent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:23 PM   #6
KLG

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
[QUOTE=DarkPaladin;10129117]Hey guys. Was thinking of replacing my brake fluid with DOT4 when I do my replacement calipers in the spring on my 17 2SS.

Would this be good? or? Also What is the preferred brake fluid?

Is it the right cap too?
=================================

Motive Products is also the set up I used. I bought their cap that was specific for my car's reservoir. I also use their catch bottles, you need two for the Brembos.

--KLG--
2016 2SS Convertible; SIM; Black & Ceramic White interior; M6; NPP; DD LED side marker lamps & back-up lamps; LED trunk lamps, license plate lamps & front T/S lamps; 3rd brake light pulser; Skip-shift eliminator; Borla s-type non-npp axle backs; Weather-Tech floor mats, trunk mat, rear license plate frame/cover; GM fuel door; ZL1addons rock guards; Removed fender badges, front & rear SS badges; JLT CAI, tune, oil separator; RP Synchromax in transmission; RP MaxGear in rear differential; GM Lowering Suspension Upgrade; Dimple oil filter magnets & magnetic oil drain plug; 3M Ceramic window tint.
KLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:06 PM   #7
DarkPaladin

Drives: 2017 Camarao SS
Thanks for the info guys. Not doing any track stuff. So DOT3 is good enough. Wasn't aware of the DOT4 replacement schedule. I'll go with the bleeder I linked then. I'll double check the cap style as well and get the two catch bottles. Thanks for the tip.
DarkPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:01 PM   #8
Snrub

Drives: Gone: 2017 Camaro SS
I think some clarification is needed.

If you track the car more, you need to change the brake fluid more frequently, regardless of the type and there are significant performance variations between brands.

If you are not tracking the car, it's more convenient to go with a fluid which lasts longer. DOT4 and DOT5.1 fluids typically last longer than DOT3 fluids. All three of those are compatible, not to be confused with DOT5 fluid. For a street car I tend to go with DOT4, as the price difference compared to DOT3 is rather small and frankly the brand doesn't really matter.

DOT4 typically has a higher "dry" (fresh/new) boiling point compared to DOT3, but of additional significance is DOT4's higher "wet" boiling point. Over time brake fluid absorbs water which makes it "wet." The higher the wet boiling point, the longer the fluid will last while remaining effective. Some DOT3 fluids can have higher dry boiling points compared to run of the mill DOT4 fluids eg. "Ford Spec" or "Racing Spec". Generally speaking, run of the mill DOT4 last longer and have a higher dry and wet boiling points.
Snrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:24 AM   #9
2slow95vert

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
That's the setup I used. Be careful not to let the master cylinder run dry or it will mean a trip to the dealer. And nobody wants that.....
2slow95vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:31 PM   #10
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
I always run 5.1 since my sport bike days, for what brake fluid costs it doesnt hurt the wallet very much at all.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote