Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-23-2018, 11:01 AM   #1
NY Andrew

Drives: 2016 Camaro V6 2LT RS Fully Loaded
Question RS Ported Throttle Body/CAI?

There any throttle body’s for the RS? Seen Tony’s, VMAX, and one other for the SS nothing really for RS..

Debated throttle body spacer but that seems like a scam..

Down the road I’d maybe do intake manifold, but not any time soon because of price.

Soon I was gonna get the GM CAI, but seems like that’s only for SS was well... I have a K&N air filter, but willing to give it up for better CAI options.

Any input on the above would be greatly appreciated. Trying to move forward with the mods (without a tune), but now it’s getting trickier to find compatable parts. Seems like the RS is still left in the dark unfortunately..amazing car with so much potential and money to be made yet not many options.

Thanks guys.
My 2016 Camaro Bose Subwoofer Install
2016 Camaro V6 Stock to Borla Atak Exhaust Sound
2016 Camaro V6 Resonator & X-Pipe Replace with Midpipe & Borla Atak
NY Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:13 AM   #2
DanZ

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Actually GM does make a CAI for the 6 cyl. Do an online search, there's an installation U-Tube video on it.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:30 PM   #3
NY Andrew

I just did another search and still don’t see it..
Old 01-23-2018, 01:54 PM   #4
Tyro

Drives: 2017 V6 1LE - Krypton Green
Here is one place that sells the GM intake:

http://thatcamaropartsguy.com/3-6l-g...t-performance/

I just searched "gm parts lgx intake".

I am not sure about your state laws though.
Tyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:08 PM   #5
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
Sorry just a little correction RS is just a trim level for the i4 and v6 dont try to look for parts based on that.

Follow me on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/hyperhawkcamaro/
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHR...-ilSpV3gMQnTuA

Supercharged with Overkill Superchargers http://www.v6superchargers.com
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:15 PM   #6
NY Andrew

Wow I tried the search you said on Bing and still no luck. Literally had to go directly to that website and do it. Thank you.

Now curious if anyone has had this and how they like it compared to the aftermarket competition.. And still curious about throttle bodies.

Thanks guys.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:59 PM   #7
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
The rs is no different than any other v6. Rs package is just lights, wheels, and chrome strips on the grille really. As said above search for v6 stuff. Rs is just an appearance package.

Vmax does a ported tb. Works great as it should. Had the first one from them and no problems 2 years later

Gm intake is a good addition as well and comes with a reflash to be done at the dealer.

in the forum search, all i put in was "ported" and 2 pages worth came up.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/search...rchid=45687980 plenty of no tune options out there.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:13 PM   #8
DougCBJ

Drives: 2016 Blue 2SS
I have both, improves power slightly over stock, but I really feel it on the acceleration.
DougCBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:50 AM   #9
NY Andrew

Oh wow didn’t realize they did have one. I was on a different VMAX site.

Assuming you have the LT1 LS1 87mm VMAX? So $150+shipping and a $150 deposit that’s refundable? So it’s really just $150+shipping. Shipping one way? ETA on the overall turnaround?

And I did the search many times just looking for comparisons of people who have one or the other and what they recommend after using for a while.

Example, so many CAI, curious which ones been the best for V6, plus the GM CAI flash is only for the CA eemiasions bs so not really a point..
Old 01-24-2018, 08:28 AM   #10
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Andrew View Post
Oh wow didn’t realize they did have one. I was on a different VMAX site.

Assuming you have the LT1 LS1 87mm VMAX? So $150+shipping and a $150 deposit that’s refundable? So it’s really just $150+shipping. Shipping one way? ETA on the overall turnaround?

And I did the search many times just looking for comparisons of people who have one or the other and what they recommend after using for a while.

Example, so many CAI, curious which ones been the best for V6, plus the GM CAI flash is only for the CA eemiasions bs so not really a point..
In being realistic, there isnt gonna be a magical BEST part. Thats like looking for a miracle fat loss pill in the fitness industry.

As with all cars they react differently, but generally the same. I.e. one intake may give 11hp to the wheels on car #1. But put that intake on car #2 and it may be 13whp. Will that make a difference in a real world race? More than likely not.

Pretty much all the intakes on the market will perform similar. Ive had two already. Both have done similarly the same, but slightly different designs and methods of doing so.

The afe i ran 13.539, the gm intake i ran 13.462 and 13.488. And thays starting from 14.1s.

Gm one comes with a tune, the afe doesnt.

For vmax, ring em up and talk to pete. You send em the money, they send you a ported tb, you send back your stock and refund ya 200 of the 350$. Should only be a few days as they are in florida, depending on where you live

Bo white also ports rbs for the v8s, he could prob do a v6 as well. I went with vmax though.

Generally speaking the majority on the forums will tell you intakes do nothing but add sound. Which ive always found to be untrue. So you wont see alot of comparison posts. But really there not needed as all perform similarly. Same goes for exhaust when you delve into that realm. Basic bolt ons are simply small pieces to an overall puzzle. The tune down the road will bring em all together. But for bolt ons without a tune, figure for about 15-20 whp max.

Anoyher thing is to read some of the members journals. Youll leanr personal experiences there as well.

And thr gm flash isnt just for the ca emissions. Its to allow the maf sensor to read the extra airflow from the new intake tube size. This is why most will suggest, even with an intake, to get the most from it, youll need a tune eventually. Dont know where you got "its just for ca emmissions bs". Alot of misinfo you need to read up on...

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:51 AM   #11
NY Andrew

Now THAT was the exact answer I was hoping for! Constructive criticism and all haha thanks so much bro!!!

I know there wouldn’t be ONE best or then none others would exist, I agree with you.

Real good info about the TB!! Much smoother sounding than I initially thought, can’t wait!

Yea as far as exhaust goes I guesstimated exact same as you without a tune. Plus my K&N maybe lookin around 350 crank HP who knows I’ll dyno in a couple years once I’m done modding, fun to just guess sometimes. But the CAI wouldn’t improve exhaust tone? I would almost think it would because air flow being increased.

I read the CA emission thing on this forum hah. “Can’t believe everything you find on the internet”.

Thanks for the detailed response again, really helping draw the overall picture.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:26 AM   #12
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
Polynesian Is right about vmax the guys is fantastic he will give you a realistic turn around time as well..

If you do go with the GM CAI I am sure they have fixed this issue as well but make sure the dealer does not charge you for the reflash when they first came out dealers were charging and there was nothing to say otherwise I believe the paperwork says differently now in the package.

Follow me on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/hyperhawkcamaro/
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHR...-ilSpV3gMQnTuA

Supercharged with Overkill Superchargers http://www.v6superchargers.com
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:11 PM   #13
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
take your throttle body off and get a couple grinding tips on your dremel and goto town up to but not including the ring of material that the blade nearly touches when closed. (unless you're replacing the blade with something bigger to retain the proper gap)

takes a while but it's not difficult or strenuous work. May take longer to polish it and make it look pretty but nobody is going to see this so who cares. Grind it, throw it back in. Ported, for the cost of a few hours time and whatever your bits cost.

spacers ...kinda BS. They mattered back when fuel was passing through the TB, since the spacers would change the length that air fuel mixture would travel and insulate the TB from the heat of the metal intake manifold.

Not the case with the LGX. The manifold isn't metal, so the TB is already insulated. The gas isn't traveling through the manifold or the tb, so the length doesn't matter nearly as much (if at all). What matters most is that the air that is getting sucked into the engine isn't stagnant and thus getting warmed up longer than absolutely necessary (which is why filling in the LFX and LGX manifolds rather than simply porting them out tends to give the best results.

Will you feel a difference after all that? maybe. I tend to say none of it makes a practical difference you will notice without having numbers reported back to you but others will say that there's a noticeable change. All i know is that 2 years in after having driven nothing but V8 camaro's for basically my entire driving life and I'm far from disappointed in picking the v6 when i go drive mine.

It helps that i've never really driven the 6th gen v8 and my last v8 camaro was a 2001 z28 .
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:58 PM   #14
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
take your throttle body off and get a couple grinding tips on your dremel and goto town up to but not including the ring of material that the blade nearly touches when closed. (unless you're replacing the blade with something bigger to retain the proper gap)

takes a while but it's not difficult or strenuous work. May take longer to polish it and make it look pretty but nobody is going to see this so who cares. Grind it, throw it back in. Ported, for the cost of a few hours time and whatever your bits cost.

spacers ...kinda BS. They mattered back when fuel was passing through the TB, since the spacers would change the length that air fuel mixture would travel and insulate the TB from the heat of the metal intake manifold.

Not the case with the LGX. The manifold isn't metal, so the TB is already insulated. The gas isn't traveling through the manifold or the tb, so the length doesn't matter nearly as much (if at all). What matters most is that the air that is getting sucked into the engine isn't stagnant and thus getting warmed up longer than absolutely necessary (which is why filling in the LFX and LGX manifolds rather than simply porting them out tends to give the best results.

Will you feel a difference after all that? maybe. I tend to say none of it makes a practical difference you will notice without having numbers reported back to you but others will say that there's a noticeable change. All i know is that 2 years in after having driven nothing but V8 camaro's for basically my entire driving life and I'm far from disappointed in picking the v6 when i go drive mine.

It helps that i've never really driven the 6th gen v8 and my last v8 camaro was a 2001 z28 .

Love them 4th gen F Bodys. My last V8 sports car was a 2002 Z28 stripper. Loved it. And I agree about the no regrets with the v6. It reminds me of my LS1 when I am driving it. Just not as loud (had the SLP loudmouth) and way better on gas.

Interested to see if the TB ends up being worth it or not for the OP after he gets one.
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold air intake, throttle body