Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-17-2017, 09:13 AM   #1
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
“All we are is dust in the wind” 0-60 in 1.9 seconds

Well, that just about wraps it up fellas. You figure two more generations, or less, and the ⚡️ electric industry will be erasing all the fuel driven speed records. It’s sad that it takes so much of the human factor out of the equation, but adds it back in when you think about how hard all the brainiacs and engineers worked to get to this point.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/17/tech...eal/index.html
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:49 AM   #2
Hixson

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS L99
That's a good read that I hadn't got to yet, but the results should be taken with a grain of salt. Its still a $200,000 car. And Tesla will likely sell what, 1,000-5,000 of these things total? This is a huge step forward for the evolution of cars, but its not the death of the ICE sports car - not until its easier for people to get their hands on. Shit, for $200,000 you've got the new Telsa Roadster competing with Lamborghini Hurricans and the new McLaren. That's some serious competition for peoples $$
Hixson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:17 AM   #3
JKiss45

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS 1LE
What i'm very impressed by is the 620 mile range. Tesla doesn't do much for me personally. I don't like the way any of them look. However, if I could drop 200k and go 0-60 in 1.9 seconds, I'm sure I'd warm up to the looks haha.
JKiss45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:36 AM   #4
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Something tells me that it will have multiple performance 'modes' available.
One mode for mileage that gets you that 620 mile range if you drive very carefully and accelerate very slowly, all the way to the 'go like hell' range that's used to hit the 1.9sec 0-60, 0-100 in 4.2 sec, etc, etc.
Unfortunately, if you put it in the GLH range, expect a range of 10 miles.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:03 PM   #5
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Driving an electric car would be like having sex with a woman that doesn't moan. Give me all of life's visceral sounds including the roar of a good ole V8...
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:15 PM   #6
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
Driving an electric car would be like having sex with a woman that doesn't moan. Give me all of life's visceral sounds including the roar of a good ole V8...
While I don’t entirely disagree with you, would you really give a tiny rats ass if she didn’t make a peep?

Name:  187BF259-7064-40F6-AF1D-56092E318B31.jpeg
Views: 865
Size:  167.4 KB
Old 11-17-2017, 12:29 PM   #7
qcman

To be honest no I wouldn't care LOL... good point. And I didn't mean it would have been bad just perhaps not as good.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:32 PM   #8
mickss

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS-M6 67 Chevelle Wgn
Quote:
Sex with out all the "visceral sounds" and moaning doesn`t seem to slow down or bother the hearing impaired or the deaf. People will get use to the sound of electric cars just like the horse and buggy people got use to the sound of a internal combustion engine.
mickss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:44 PM   #9
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickss View Post
Sex with out all the "visceral sounds" and moaning doesn`t seem to slow down or bother the hearing impaired or the deaf. People will get use to the sound of electric cars just like the horse and buggy people got use to the sound of a internal combustion engine.
I think you missed the point. Meaning badass ICEs make beautiful sound. Not so much what people are used to.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:01 PM   #10
Stormcloak
slower than you

Drives: 2012 C6 Z06
Impressive stats. That's about all the care I can muster. I'd still rather have a slower, more engaging vehicle any day of the week.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:15 PM   #11
Hixson

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS L99
Any of you guys see what they did with the BMW I8 a few years ago? The car is electric, so it doesn't have an exhaust note right? So what they did was put a really intelligent computer with a sound pipe to the cabin and the outside of the car. You could go in and download the exhaust note you want - Camaro, big cam hot rod, lambo, xwing fighter from Star wars (not kidding) and it would sound pretty damn close to the real thing. I'm not saying that's a perfect 1for1 trade off, as I love the shake and rumble of a V8 - but shit man that's pretty damn close. This video - you can hardly understand the guy but look at around 1:04. The car goes from dead silent, to the "active exhaust." I know its not real but if my 1.9 sec 0 to 60 sounded like that, id get over it

https://youtu.be/mrwHIwGs0HY
Hixson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:39 PM   #12
qcman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hixson View Post
Any of you guys see what they did with the BMW I8 a few years ago? The car is electric, so it doesn't have an exhaust note right? So what they did was put a really intelligent computer with a sound pipe to the cabin and the outside of the car. You could go in and download the exhaust note you want - Camaro, big cam hot rod, lambo, xwing fighter from Star wars (not kidding) and it would sound pretty damn close to the real thing. I'm not saying that's a perfect 1for1 trade off, as I love the shake and rumble of a V8 - but shit man that's pretty damn close. This video - you can hardly understand the guy but look at around 1:04. The car goes from dead silent, to the "active exhaust." I know its not real but if my 1.9 sec 0 to 60 sounded like that, id get over it

https://youtu.be/mrwHIwGs0HY
I couldn't do that somehow. I guess I could load up my ipod with mp3's of cars that sound better than mine but I would always know my car didn't sound that way. Maybe they could unbalance a couple of tires or put a weight on one side of the pulleys if it has any to replicate the V8 shake

Certainly the Teslas are crazy fast but they seem to lack a soul or something not sure exactly what it is. I would never want one but I guess that just means there are more to certain cars than just speed and the Camaro has that something to many of us.

I guess some folks could argue the environmental point but I think its a questionable one knowing fossil fuels mainly provide the energy for electric power but I don't know how the carbon footprints compare. I suspect the Tesla still wins on that one...
Old 11-17-2017, 02:40 PM   #13
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
What isn’t so impressive is Tesla’s balance sheet. But as long as CA is willing to give him grants for e-cars that have not sold as well as their dino-fueled counterparts, he may survive.

In what could become stupid irony, if CA mandates electric cars by 2040 AND has seceded from the union, Musk may have to pay import tariffs to sell in the USA. I for one want to live long enough to see that. But watch from another state...
Old 11-17-2017, 02:45 PM   #14
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
I couldn't do that somehow. I guess I could load up my ipod with mp3's of cars that sound better than mine but I would always know my car didn't sound that way. Maybe they could unbalance a couple of tires or put a weight on one side of the pulleys if it has any to replicate the V8 shake

Certainly the Teslas are crazy fast but they seem to lack a soul or something not sure exactly what it is. I would never want one but I guess that just means there are more to certain cars than just speed and the Camaro has that something to many of us.

I guess some folks could argue the environmental point but I think its a questionable one knowing fossil fuels mainly provide the energy for electric power but I don't know how the carbon footprints compare. I suspect the Tesla still wins on that one...
Until you factor in battery manufacture, disposal, etc. Then the gap closes.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote