Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 01-16-2016, 07:01 AM   #1
Xeno13

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE / Nightfall Grey
I still love my 5th gen over the 2016

Anyone else feel the same?

I have not seen the new 2016 in person yet, however I'm just not feeling it from the images I have seen so far - I just can't get use to the rear quarter window and I still not sure if I like the new updated style - I think we just got instant classics

I love the style of our gen 5s and I love how the way our interior looks as well. I do like the 6 gen interior, however I like the wrap around feel of our gen 5s and the way our gauge cluster is tucked in to the dash - I can't get use to the huge in your face gauge cluster hump in the 6 gen.

Maybe that will all change if I see it in person. I don't know

Am I crazy?

I could use a little more HP - but that can be resolved anytime I really want make the jump
Xeno13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:25 AM   #2
Blk-Ice
750HP of Twisted Reaper!

Drives: Blk 2SS/Blk Carb Fibr NS-1 stripes
You are not alone....I can get past the front of the 2016 but the back i HATE with a passion!!!
Old 01-16-2016, 07:27 AM   #3
1leWorksforMe

Drives: 1le
I'm on the fence. I don't like big bloated cars but something about the 5th gen 1le (14-15) ties it all in together. I too like our interior even if it does have some cheap bits inside. Our car has more than enough power and as we all know can out handle cars costing 2 to 3 times as much.

With that said, the new camaro SS is improved in every way and that LT1 motor really puts the power down. The interior is more upscale but lets not forget its still a camaro. I'm not crazy about the looks but that doesn't mean it's not attractive (the front looks killer). Lighter cars almost always feel better to drive and I'm sure that's true with the new SS. Either way I'm sure owners of both are happy with what they have as you really can't go wrong with either.

I do like conversations about our 1le's however as it really brings up interesting back and forth banter amongst people who don't really care for or respect camaros in general (your car actually do that????) LOL.

Last edited by 1leWorksforMe; 01-16-2016 at 07:56 AM.
1leWorksforMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:40 AM   #4
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
Agreed. New one's are starting to go slightly euro style along with the other makers. G5 has the real modern classic American muscle appeal and they haven't had beauties like these since the late 60- 70's. I do t think they will hit it on the mark again like they did with the G5.
Jayjellyfish212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:02 AM   #5
49North1LE

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE G7C,
I'm not on the fence. The car just is awkward looking, LT1 aside. Not exclusive to the angular "global" style GM has pursued (see C7) it just isn't my thing. The higher C pillar angle just makes the whole side profile looks weird strangely out of proportion. Now I am 55 but I don't wear my pants up at my belly bottom. That's how the new car presents from the side to me. What appeals to me naturally would be a design owing to the Gen1/Gen2 cars even though I had to wait until 1977 to get my DL. The 69 Camaro is classic, not so much the Gen4 cars which moved even further away from the original car. GM did a great job on our Gen5's so I bought one. I sat in a 1SS yesterday, you can really see the bean counters either got their way by allocating only lunch money to the gauges or else the design team was on collective holiday, they are weak. The message centre also just looks odd it stands out horribly rather than being incorporated into a flowing design. Give it to Ford, the Mustang does offer a more comprehensive interior package, albeit like others have said it is busier but with better thought and execution. I have to feel the car that I drive, it has to speak to me just standing still. The Gen6 makes me shake my head and that's long before I consider it comes at a cost that is $10K over my Gen5 1LE.

Last edited by 49North1LE; 01-16-2016 at 09:21 AM.
49North1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:46 AM   #6
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
I've seen the new SixGen in person and I've gotten into one. I'm not sold on it at all. I don't care for the front end or the rear bumper. The sides are the same with exception of the rear quarter window and the lower side crease on the door. They (GM) just reversed it where it's wider just behind the front wheel vs being wider at the rear wheel on the 5th Gen. The hood grills look a little cheesy to me and look like take offs from the Mustang. The roof shark fin looks more like a capsized fishing boat from Barbados West Indies. LOL
I really don't see this as a new generation but rather a refresh as the 2014 was with it's rear and front lights and smaller grill opening. Yes it has a more powerful engine with a lot of tech things going on, lighter than previous years but it's smaller, shorter and lower as well as narrower. The interior as far as placement of things, and this is just my opinion, the cup holders are in the wrong place, arm rest gives not much for the driver and none for the passenger, some of thing things on the dash are gaudy and there is no rear seating. My wife's daughter has always had some room. She's all legs and slight seat adjust she was cool but not in this 2016.
Though I got my 2011 2SSRS uses with 3400 on it, I only have 8880 on it now and I've dropped a cam and everything that goes with it in it, MyLink with Nav, tires and wheels and really have personalized it to be what I wanted all along and have the 450whp with 423wtq, so I'm good! I'll have the title in a couple of months and for me, I can enjoy my retirement even more so and start another project with my daily driver, a 2007 Honda SC. LOL

I don't knock anyone who wants or gets the '16 as we have 3 in our Indy NexGen Camaro Club and I'm sure there will be more as I'm hearing guys talking about their orders just went in. As I told my wife, nothing pleases me more than to go to a gas station and people look at mine and say, "That's a new one ain't it? Damn it sure looks good!" No Sir, this is a 2011, just shy of being 5 years old by my build sheet.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2016, 11:20 AM   #7
CruisingSpeed
The Stealth Bumblebee

Drives: Black 2013 2LS
I before I recently saw a couple 2016's this last month and I felt the same way you did. When they are parked alone in a parking lot it kinda gives you that wtf moment. It doesnt give that zing that the earlier models had. But when at a dealership next to the 5 th gen you actually realize the "camaro" in it. I am not a fan of the somewhat euro look. I think they have a place and time. Its ok, i think, for malibus and impalas to look that way, but as for camaro and corvette, they are muscle cars and need to keep the american look alive. I am slowly falling in love with the front and am a bit more able to ignore the mustang look now. The thing is that i can accept the cheaper trim front end better than I thought before seeing them in person. The quarter panel area is almost as silly looking as the rear. The tail lights make absolutely no sense. I know i complained a out the 2014 refresh, but this is awful!!! Call me crazy, but from the side the taillights kinda look like a BMW. Interior wise, they did what they should've in the first place. Lol

Once american car design and style starts going more euro then I will definately start to consider a 6th gen. Until then i think im happy. And if i can find a faster slightly used 5 thgen for the same price as a 6 th, hell no im not going with a 2016. Lol
Old 01-16-2016, 11:34 AM   #8
HuJass

Drives: GM
The 6th gen is nice, just not as nice as a 5th.

The quarter window is wrong. The rear shoulder line is too low. The upper fender line/belt line is just flat. It's awkward. It makes the car look thicker in the front than the back. And the overall car is too soft. It lost the edge of the 5th gen.

The interior of the 6th doesn't do it for me, either. It's not cohesive enough. There's no flow. It looks like they just stacked parts on top of each other. The dash looks like plastic module hanging off the firewall, rather than being integrated into the interior design.

I do like the front end & back end. And of course it's way better dynamically.

But I just can't get past its looks.
2004 Colorado ZQ8
2002 Trans Am WS6 Collector Edition
1999 Blazer
1994 Grand Prix SE B4U
HuJass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:52 AM   #9
CruisingSpeed
The Stealth Bumblebee

Drives: Black 2013 2LS
Now if somehow my car got totaled and i found 30 or 35k in cash....
SOLD!!!
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1123
Size:  141.5 KB
Old 01-16-2016, 12:12 PM   #10
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
I'm trading mine in for a 2017 edition. Car looks killer and love the new interior.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 12:21 PM   #11
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno13 View Post
Anyone else feel the same?
I almost feel like being apologetic, lol, but I too feel the same way.

I mean, I'll never look down on Gen 6 owners. More power, newer tech engine, lighter car .

But the styling of our Gen 5, especially when tricked out right, for me, still overshadows all else, and this makes me feel good to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno13 View Post
......I do like the 6 gen interior, however I like the wrap around feel of our gen 5s......
I too like the Gen 6 interior. No one will knock the Camaro interior again. Not like before.

The Gen 5 interior I find doesn't look as hot in the daylight, but in the evening and dark, the Gen 5 interior does have that cavernous, batman cave look, and even more of the wrap-around look you speak of, when ambient lighting is tastefully tricked out.

The Gen 5 interior screams customize to me, and it's easy to do, ironically, thanks to the nature of it's design, with long, large, flat pieces, that are easy to dissemble and paint.

The Gen 6 interior doesn't seem as customizable to me, since out of the box it is busier looking, but a cool looking, out_of_the_box package nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49North1LE View Post
I'm not on the fence. The car just is awkward looking, LT1 aside......... The higher C pillar angle just makes the whole side profile looks weird strangely out of proportion.....
....and the sharp angular lines in the rear, that give it an ever so slight looking, un-masked, Predator look, from the movie Predator. You know, the mouth part, lol.

Your thoughts on the awkward looking part, were my initial 4 seconds, right after I first layed eyes on the side of the Gen 6 for the very first time.

Who knows, maybe it would of been the other way around? Or maybe not...If were all initially introduced to the Gen 6, then after 6 years, looked at a Gen 5 for the first time, what would we be seeing and saying as critique? Ahhhhh, that is the ultimate question isn't it?
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 02:35 PM   #12
red_riot

Drives: Track Camaro
for me, 6th gen > 5th gen on the size and weight loss alone. i've always hated how big and heavy the 5th gen cars were.
red_riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 03:31 PM   #13
Deftones

Drives: 2012 RS/SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_riot View Post
for me, 6th gen > 5th gen on the size and weight loss alone. i've always hated how big and heavy the 5th gen cars were.
So the roughly 200 pounds was a deal breaker for you?
Old 01-16-2016, 03:58 PM   #14
OvErMiNd

Drives: 2015 2SS 1LE Summit White
I actually came to this section of the forum to make the same post. I test drove a 2SS/manual 2016 model the other day and have a few takeaways from the experience. I won't go too in depth, but first off, I absolutely like the styling of the 5th gen much more. The size as well. The 2016 just doesn't look mean like our car does.

Now the driving experience is much different I must say. I've never driven a 5th gen SS other than my '15 1LE so it isn't apples to apples, but the handling was just not there. My car can pull 1.09 all day on the rubber it came with (with a different alignment of course) and just sticks to the road. The new SS hopped a lot. This is likely because of the size of the tire and different rubber mostly, but I also experienced a little more body roll. I will say it still had great turn in and was snappy, however. The steering was just as great.

One thing that has me butt hurt about dishing out all the $$ I did on my 1LE and then driving this '16 that is around 8k less is that it's faster. The new SS is clearly a little faster than my 1LE. Of course I didn't get to launch it, but I imagine the launch is much better and that attributes for the better trap times... let alone the weight and extra HP. So in that dept, the '16 has us all stock vs stock.

The interior is much better as far as quality and styling. I really wish I could use the new touch screen instead of the one in my 1LE, but we'll see down the line about that. The car is smarter and has more bells and whistles so that is nice, but for a driver that likes a raw pony car like myself, these things don't matter. My hair was rubbing the roof of the car and I'm about 6'2''. I had to sit all the way to the floor and all the way back. Leg room was scarce so I didn't like that aspect of it, but most people aren't as lanky as me.

Anyway those are some points I had... Don't like the 2016's looks exterior, like the interior, it's faster, doesn't handle as confidently and I don't exactly fit in it.

Maybe when they come out with the 6.5 gens I'll take another test drive.

Last edited by OvErMiNd; 01-16-2016 at 05:11 PM.
OvErMiNd is offline   Reply With Quote