Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 12-30-2015, 10:35 PM   #1
mikedog_66
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Oil pan drain plug....

When I went to the dealer to get my oil filter for my first oil change, I asked them if the oil oan drain plug needed a new rubber gasket and they told me there isn't one.

After changing my oil, I retorqued the drain plug to proper specs (18.5 ftlbs) and everything seems good, no leaks. However, in doing some research online, there seems be a separate rubber gasket O-ring available for the drain plug.

Does anyone here know for sure? And, if there is one, will I need to replace it?
mikedog_66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:35 AM   #2
polizzio

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Camaro
I change my own oil. I think the black rubber seal is part of the drain plug itself. You can't readily remove it. You would order a new drain plug, when and if you develop a drip.
Biggest deal imo with the drain plug is over tightening and damaging the threading in the oil pan itself. Some people get carried away tightening bolts and plugs. And your oil drain plug/oil pan is going to see a lot of action over a lifetime, so take care with it.
polizzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:39 AM   #3
maroonponyina1LE

Drives: 2015 1LE
Hoping someone can answer your question. Would be interested to know if the LS3 V8 in the 2015 SS should have or not have a drain plug rubber gasket.

Additionally wondering if drain plug for LS3 has same torque specifications - where did you find that number?

...since we are on the topic of drain plugs: I read from a different thread that gold plug.com sells a magnetic oil pan plug for the V8. It sure appears that this magnetic plug AP-04 has a metal (!) washer with the model number SW-01. Additional questions I have about this drain plug: 1) is it made of the same metal as the original drain plug? ....dissimilar metals can lead to corrosion. 2) I thought I needed a 15 mm socket to change the oil, but this AP-04 plug is listed as a 12mm???

Thanks in advance for any replies.
maroonponyina1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:41 AM   #4
arkentect

Drives: 2010 Camaro SGM 1LT M6
and if you order a new drain plug you might as well get a magnetic one
arkentect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:46 AM   #5
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
The gasket is seated into the plug at least with my camaro and Silverado (same plugs). Iit appears removable but not easily (would have to pry it out). I swapped out to magnetic plugs

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:04 AM   #6
Dimitrim
Dimitri

Drives: 68 GTO 455 Ram Air; 2014 Camaro ZL1
Yes, they do come off pretty easy the 0ring from the drain plug. I replace mine every time I do an oil change. Get it at the dealer, the oring for the drain plug is sold separately.
Dimitrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:16 AM   #7
Ryanbabz71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitrim View Post
Yes, they do come off pretty easy the 0ring from the drain plug. I replace mine every time I do an oil change. Get it at the dealer, the oring for the drain plug is sold separately.
Both of mine shown above were seated pretty well, even tried to pop one off with a screwdriver and it was on pretty good. Both of those plug have less than 2K miles on them.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:22 AM   #8
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Oil drain plug that came with my SS will last for decades and hundreds of thousands of miles. The rubber insert that is embedded into the plug will last as long as the plug itself. I should never need to replace it.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:43 AM   #9
Ryanbabz71

Also across 4 GM vehicles all same plug I have gone about 250K miles with the same gaskets on them.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:04 PM   #10
Dimitrim
Dimitri

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTool View Post
Oil drain plug that came with my SS will last for decades and hundreds of thousands of miles. The rubber insert that is embedded into the plug will last as long as the plug itself. I should never need to replace it.
It is synthetic oil that breaks them down. If you are using regular engine oil you have no problem. But synthetic engine oil causes them to swell. The rubber oring are pretty cheap like $3.00 at the dealer.

Remember, We have a softer aluminum oil pan not a harder steel one.

Last edited by Dimitrim; 12-31-2015 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:36 PM   #11
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
I remember that O-ring was quite "stuck' on the plug. I wonder why more manufacturers don't all switch to a rubber O-ring instead of a metal crush washer. It just makes so much more sense.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:35 AM   #12
Dimitrim
Dimitri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
I remember that O-ring was quite "stuck' on the plug. I wonder why more manufacturers don't all switch to a rubber O-ring instead of a metal crush washer. It just makes so much more sense.
Nobody uses metal drain plug gaskets any more. They don't seal especially on our softer aluminum drain pan oil drain plugs. They are alright on the old thick cast iron gear boxes. But those too you have to replace the copper or aluminum drain plug gasket every time you change your oil. Most factory drain plugs are rubber like the american iron, GM, Ford, Chrysler. The Japanese use a soft fibre drain plug washers like Toyota, Honda, Subaru. Those too you have to replace every time you do an oil change. If you go to Napa Auto parts store they carry an assortment of these fiber oil plug drain gaskets behind the counter.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:03 AM   #13
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
My Original 16+ year old 2000 Silverado drain plug came with a little magnet on the tip of it. Other than that it is identical to my Camaro's drain plug. The rubber insert is as good as new, been using Mobil 1 for ever. The internal threads in our aluminum oil pans are not aluminum. They are made with a steel insert. Stripping the threads should never be an issue. Tighten it good and snug with a 15mm boxed end wrench.
Just realized the OP's account is suspended. I often wonder why this happens to people.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:21 AM   #14
Ryanbabz71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitrim View Post
Nobody uses metal drain plug gaskets any more. They don't seal especially on our softer aluminum drain pan oil drain plugs. They are alright on the old thick cast iron gear boxes. But those too you have to replace the copper or aluminum drain plug gasket every time you change your oil. Most factory drain plugs are rubber like the american iron, GM, Ford, Chrysler. The Japanese use a soft fibre drain plug washers like Toyota, Honda, Subaru. Those too you have to replace every time you do an oil change. If you go to Napa Auto parts store they carry an assortment of these fiber oil plug drain gaskets behind the counter.

In 38K miles on my wife's Toyota Sienna I have never replaced the drain plug "washer".

Ryan