Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-22-2015, 04:15 AM   #1
Camaro117

Drives: Yellow 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
dr colorchip/paint questions

hey guys so ive got some bad road rash and a couple of nice scratches on my front bumper that i need to take care of. Its bothered me to the point of thinking about buying a whole new bumper or getting it repainted but... Ive calmed myself down and decided that id just touch it up and move on. so I ordered some yellow touch up paint from my dealer and ive not tried it yet because then i discovered the dr colorchip and seen many people saying it was good stuff. but ive got a few questions. One, i am concerned about the paint matching. I have rally yellow, and ive seen some people talk about the factory touch up paint from the dealer is not a very good match thats another reason why i have opened my touch up paint. Has anyone had trouble with paint matching with dr color chip? they say it guaranteed to match oem. and two do you think it will work for my situation? and which kit should i get?
Attached Images

Camaro117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:38 PM   #2
Rick's Camaro

Drives: 1967-2014 Camaro's
We sell the Dr. Colorchip kit for the 5th gen Camaro specifically. It has a video and all the options, plus we have only heard positive reviews about it!

"Dr. ColorChip's proprietary, three-step paint chip repair process is the easiest and most effective way to touch-up minor automotive paint chips and road rash. Effective paint chip repair keeps your car looking like new and protects it from rust and other long-term damage. Easier to use than traditional touch-up paint or paint pens, you'll get professional results and a guaranteed exact OEM match to your car's finish!"

Here is the link
http://www.rickscamaros.com/dr-color...2010-2012.html

PM us if you have any questions
Rick's Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:10 PM   #3
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Make sure you get a touch up with a BRUSH, not the PEN type. The pen type touch ups
sold on line are worthless. It's not so much the color match, as being able to apply
it properly.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:06 PM   #4
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Dr. Colorchip is designed for small chips and road rash. The basic kit is all you need.

The larger areas are best done with Langka. Since you already have the factory touch up, the Langka Blob Eliminator is all you'll need to go with the factory paint.

Some of those scratches can be wet sanded out, if your not familiar or comfortable wet sanding, CarPro Fixer will reduce their appearance applied by machine, or by hand.

Based on the amount of damage you have, a repaint would be best, followed by PPF on the front. If that's not in your budget, repair as best you can to diminish appearance of damage. To reduce further damage, increase your following distance when driving whenever possible.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 03:29 PM   #5
NYJets77

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS Summit White
I just tried Dr Colorchip for the first time 2 weeks ago on Summit White. Looks great.
NYJets77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:24 PM   #6
Libertypilot

Drives: 2013 Silver Ice Metallic
Yeah, I used the Dr. myself and the paint match is perfect. My mistake the first time was waiting too long to apply the blending solution. I waited about 10 minutes (because I kept finding more chips) and it was tough to blend the paint. If it's hot out, only wait 3 minutes tops to apply the blending solution after applying the paint. But yeah, the color match is what you should worry least about - they're damn good with that. And you only need the basic package for what you have going on there. You could even test it out on something besides your car first - there's plenty...
Old 08-10-2015, 09:15 PM   #7
jdsblueray2013

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2ssrs Blue Ray
Send a message via Yahoo to jdsblueray2013
Totally agree! pens are crap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
Make sure you get a touch up with a BRUSH, not the PEN type. The pen type touch ups
sold on line are worthless. It's not so much the color match, as being able to apply
it properly.
jdsblueray2013 is offline   Reply With Quote