Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 09-15-2017, 10:10 AM   #113
2010reddevil

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Victory Red 6M
Yeah Ron, typically A6 cars will ways trap lower than an M6 car. Their main advantage is the 60ft and 1/8th mile. Mod for mod, if you pit the two, it would damn near take a miracle for a M6 to best an A6 at the track. However, from a roll, it is a decidedly different outcome. The 5.0L guys have a few advantages in their corner from the get go. Lighter chassis, solid axle for traction and cheap/simple suspension bits. Also, yes the MT82 has definitely been a pain, but the gearing puts the engine in the sweet spot every single shift. Also, the 6R80 is probably one of the strongest automatics ever put in a car. I've never seen any other stock trans have the ability to hold the power to run 9s.

2010 2SS 6M Victory Red/Black (old ride)
CAI intake, Speed Engineering 1 7/8" LT's, X4 base tune, Flowmaster Outlaw axle-back.

12.6 @ 115 SAR as of 9/19/15
Gone but never forgotten.
2010reddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:23 AM   #114
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcvt View Post
rontammy0, My most recent times at the local 8th was embarassing. With the mods I have, and no tires, I ran a 8.496@86.624 with a 60 of 2.207 with traction control on. Didn't mean to do that. Next time out I ran 8.521 @ 88.677 with a 60' of 2.242. No traction control. First time down the strip in 10 years. Need a driver mod bad but my mph was still rather low I thought for my mods. Maybe this will be an encouragement for you. It could be way worse.
MPH does seem low there. My bolt on M6 car (similar to yours, minus the cam) is doing the 1/8th on a 2.0 60' to an 8.40x@88.0x. DA was like 2500' on those passes - I have three of them within 5 hundredths of ET and 1 hundredth of mph, so it's consistent at least.

Not that dyno numbers are everything, but you should be faster (higher mph) with the cam and 60 or so whp extra. It's easy to lose MPH on the shifts, while keeping the ET decent. That ET should drop a bunch once you get a few tenth's out of the 60'. Those numbers suggest to me that the car is struggling of the line, either with wheel spin or bogging, and then coming on good as it gets further down the track. Probably would give you a 7.xxx @ 90+ with a good hook.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:38 AM   #115
Grabber
Just a car guy

Drives: 2016 Durango R/T AWD
Rontammy - How've you been bud? Keeping busy beating on those poor Mustangs? hehe.

I would truly think with your mods, cam included, you will be running mid-high 11's @ 117-119 easily, especially once you dial in properly and get a good break with cooler weather.

A Cammed, stalled and bolt-on 5th gen should be more than a handful compared to a bolt-on 5.0 that is not setup for drag racing. All things equal, either car can take it.

Keep us posted man, I'd love to hear some more about how your car progresses.
2014 5.0 - Ported CobraJet Manifold - SCJ Mono-Blade TB - Kooks 1-3/4" LT Headers - Kooks O/R H-pipe - Custom Intake - McLeod clutch line - Borla S-Type Axle Backs - AED Tuned - 443 RWHP / 388 RWTQ - GONE
05 GT - Sold
03 Cobra - Gone (Never Forgotten)
Grabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 12:02 PM   #116
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Ron - do you have a cam? 115-118 with a cam would be totally plausible. If that's a stock cam, I'd manage your expectations to around 111 +/- a few.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:11 PM   #117
gmcvt

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
MPH does seem low there. My bolt on M6 car (similar to yours, minus the cam) is doing the 1/8th on a 2.0 60' to an 8.40x@88.0x. DA was like 2500' on those passes - I have three of them within 5 hundredths of ET and 1 hundredth of mph, so it's consistent at least.

Not that dyno numbers are everything, but you should be faster (higher mph) with the cam and 60 or so whp extra. It's easy to lose MPH on the shifts, while keeping the ET decent. That ET should drop a bunch once you get a few tenth's out of the 60'. Those numbers suggest to me that the car is struggling of the line, either with wheel spin or bogging, and then coming on good as it gets further down the track. Probably would give you a 7.xxx @ 90+ with a good hook.
The DA was around 1177 best I can tell. Im sure my shifting leaves much to be desired but basically your spot on. It runs really solid once I get out a bit. Launching is useless without dr's. I only got two real shots at a pass because it was late. I tried getting more aggressive on the launch the last pass and cut a 2.70 60'. Found out very quickly that a 3500sh launch wasn't going to work well, even with my pathetic attempt at slipping the clutch. Thanks for chiming in.
2018 Mustang GT A10 Kooks Lt's, E85 & Lund tune*SOLD*
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Silver- CAI, Bo-body, VRSP-2 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 Lt's w/cats, Magnaflow street CB(15089), QTP ovals, Elite can, Vengeance Racing tune. *SOLD*
gmcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 12:19 PM   #118
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcvt View Post
The DA was around 1177 best I can tell. Im sure my shifting leaves much to be desired but basically your spot on. It runs really solid once I get out a bit. Launching is useless without dr's. I only got two real shots at a pass because it was late. I tried getting more aggressive on the launch the last pass and cut a 2.70 60'. Found out very quickly that a 3500sh launch wasn't going to work well, even with my pathetic attempt at slipping the clutch. Thanks for chiming in.
For what it's worth, this what my 8.40x passes look like. My clutch slip is a lot less now with the 4.10's than it was with 3.45s. You can find some passes from last year with the 3.45's with 2.0 60' times if you're interested to get a feel for them. Sometimes, at least for me, it helps to see/hear what others are doing to get some ideas on what to try.

Old 09-15-2017, 12:48 PM   #119
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
Ron - do you have a cam? 115-118 with a cam would be totally plausible. If that's a stock cam, I'd manage your expectations to around 111 +/- a few.
No im stock ....im auctuallly hoping for at least 113mph. I went 112 with just a tune headers high flow cat on street tires. I will just have to wait and see.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 12:59 PM   #120
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber View Post
Rontammy - How've you been bud? Keeping busy beating on those poor Mustangs? hehe.

I would truly think with your mods, cam included, you will be running mid-high 11's @ 117-119 easily, especially once you dial in properly and get a good break with cooler weather.

A Cammed, stalled and bolt-on 5th gen should be more than a handful compared to a bolt-on 5.0 that is not setup for drag racing. All things equal, either car can take it.

Keep us posted man, I'd love to hear some more about how your car progresses.
Hey Grabber ....ya was having my way it till his headers....Boss intake ...cai and tune lol. Now hes flying.....but ive told him for a while once he gets a few boltons and a tune he would beat me. He can really drive the wheels off a car thats a handful to launch. He ran a 1.9 60 on street tires. I dont know how many times we have squared off over the years but this is the best ive seen that car run. If you have read through the thread i knew he would be flying but i didnt think i would be running such a low mph. But not all is bad....ive since had some data logging done and have been shown whats wrong.....and theres alot ..believe me. So im hoping to get it on track and get a run in before snow to see how these changes work.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:44 PM   #121
GossipSquirrelJelena
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT. Supercharged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Hey Grabber ....ya was having my way it till his headers....Boss intake ...cai and tune lol. Now hes flying.....but ive told him for a while once he gets a few boltons and a tune he would beat me. He can really drive the wheels off a car thats a handful to launch. He ran a 1.9 60 on street tires. I dont know how many times we have squared off over the years but this is the best ive seen that car run. If you have read through the thread i knew he would be flying but i didnt think i would be running such a low mph. But not all is bad....ive since had some data logging done and have been shown whats wrong.....and theres alot ..believe me. So im hoping to get it on track and get a run in before snow to see how these changes work.
You guys should be a good race once the tune is given the once over. Even if he ads drag radials he is most likely high 11s-low 12's.
GossipSquirrelJelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 02:48 PM   #122
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Before the snow? That's like next week right?

Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 03:38 PM   #123
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post

Don't you start!
Old 09-15-2017, 03:43 PM   #124
Grabber
Just a car guy

Drives: 2016 Durango R/T AWD
Quote:
Hey rontammy0 - Right on man. It's always fun going back and forth.

As far as the issues, I would have guessed that the stall is not tuned with your transmission, which is causing the "slowness" you mentioned at the track. Was that the case?

Should be interesting. Do keep us posted.

-Chris
2014 5.0 - Ported CobraJet Manifold - SCJ Mono-Blade TB - Kooks 1-3/4" LT Headers - Kooks O/R H-pipe - Custom Intake - McLeod clutch line - Borla S-Type Axle Backs - AED Tuned - 443 RWHP / 388 RWTQ - GONE
05 GT - Sold
03 Cobra - Gone (Never Forgotten)
Grabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 03:46 PM   #125
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post

You vert guys crack me up

Old 09-15-2017, 03:48 PM   #126
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by GossipSquirrelJelena View Post
You guys should be a good race once the tune is given the once over. Even if he ads drag radials he is most likely high 11s-low 12's.
I really think so.... with a little better launch and rt i should be able to hold him off if im trapping what i should.