Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 04-15-2015, 09:30 AM   #71
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobWH View Post
In 2017, an entire line will use the 10spd, but whatever.

I never insinuated the entire lineup of Ford cars, just that an entire line, the F-150 in this case, will. They're not going to offer it only on 1 pickup anymore than GM is.

Like I said, there were many stories about it even before the 5L hit the market. You can find them, but I'm not here to go all in depth on what Ford might do... I just don't care what Ford might do, but I do know that a company that size can rather easily add DI to 1 more engine... They have quite a bit experience building engines. They simply chose not to do it and considering how extremely expensive it is, they'll likely continue to choose not to do it.

Multiple sources have said since 2010 though, the engine is designed to be DI and I am certain you could find where the Ford engineer who headed up the Mustang engines actually said they started out w/ DI on them, plus you can find photos of the heads which show the area for the port.

What we can say is, don't expect a 200+ lb weight loss across the board, but it will be much like the Mustang with base being both available and rare.
Then why did you make the comment? What did anything I have to say deal with the entire line up? Someone asked what changes could be made next year to help the Mustang compete with the 6th gen. I advised it would be at least 2017 before the 10 spd auto would be in any Ford vehicles nothing more, but whatever

As for DI, rumors are just that....rumors. Not disagreeing that Ford has the ability to bring DI to the Coyote, but clearly they were not interested in it lately. Will that come back to bite them, who knows. And from a product testing standpoint, DI development and testing would have to be already underway to employ it in the near future. Real question is why DI is not on the Mustang V6 when it exists on the Ecoboost variants. Would think they would be adding it to that motor before the Coyote.

Also there's no evidence to support the 200lb curb weight drop is not across models. Based on the fact all the details that have been release seem to be related to the SS model, I think a 200lb drop in the SS is a sure bet.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:50 AM   #72
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobWH View Post
DI is something Ford could "slap right on" the 5L if they wanted. I think they don't want it on there or it would've been done. Many stories when the 5L came out pointed to the fact, it's heads are in need of a hole per cylinder. I don't expect to see it anytime soon on the Mustang 5L. If it gets there though, 40hp increase, BLAM!
Would adding DI to the Coyote really add 40 HP? How about Torque? I didn't know it made that much of a difference, especially when adding both DI and VVT only added 34 HP or so to the Chevy V8. I know its apples and oranges to a certain extent, since the Coyote already has accomodations for DI built in, where GM didn't.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:19 AM   #73
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
I think DI is Fords "Ace in the hole". Should the new Camaro come out swinging@460+HP, ford will be able to step up. The Coyote is adaptable to DI, already.

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:07 AM   #74
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearBangr View Post
Those mustangs were GT Premiums with the performance pack, the heaviest mustang you can get.

Not doubting the camaro is going to get a lot closer to the mustang in weight, but lets try to keep it apples to apples. you can't go around a say look the 6th Gen 1SS is lighter than the GT premium with performance pack
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:21 AM   #75
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Those mustangs were GT Premiums with the performance pack, the heaviest mustang you can get.

Not doubting the camaro is going to get a lot closer to the mustang in weight, but lets try to keep it apples to apples. you can't go around a say look the 6th Gen 1SS is lighter than the GT premium with performance pack
I'm not sure he's saying anything, I just see it as posting weights.

Let's say the 1LE at most loses a 100 pounds. That would put it at 3,780ish. That's not too far from a base GT with performance package. The premium trims don't add as much weight as some people think.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:29 AM   #76
GearBangr

Drives: 97Z,02TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post

Does the GT premium have 18" speakers made of solid gold? What's the difference?

The 1LE isnt exactly the lightest, it uses wider wheels with more rubber, bigger sways, the wheel bearings are larger for the bigger wheels. More body bracing.

Apples to apples will be a 6th gen VS new Mustang in a few months.
GearBangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:06 PM   #77
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
Would adding DI to the Coyote really add 40 HP? How about Torque? I didn't know it made that much of a difference, especially when adding both DI and VVT only added 34 HP or so to the Chevy V8. I know its apples and oranges to a certain extent, since the Coyote already has accomodations for DI built in, where GM didn't.
I could see it adding a good 30 or more HP and as much torque depending on what compression, cam , and tune changes they decide to go with. The thing is though it is NOT easy to do this by ANY means and will cost Ford a lot of money in the R&D. Could they have this motor ready for the 2017 Mustang? Yes, but they would be losing a lot of money on the previous motor. If anyone thinks they will have it ready for the 2016 Mustang then they are more than likely a diluted fan boy. Changes would include but not limited to different head casting, different intake manifold casting, ECU calibration, EPA certification, SAE certification, a ton of testing and that's just if they don't change the cams, valves, pcv system and pistons for better compatibility, compression, mpg, power, reliability and driveability. So NO it is not some easy thing that Ford could just slap on like someone else posted.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:36 PM   #78
fradaj

Drives: RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
I could see it adding a good 30 or more HP and as much torque depending on what compression, cam , and tune changes they decide to go with. The thing is though it is NOT easy to do this by ANY means and will cost Ford a lot of money in the R&D. Could they have this motor ready for the 2017 Mustang? Yes, but they would be losing a lot of money on the previous motor. If anyone thinks they will have it ready for the 2016 Mustang then they are more than likely a diluted fan boy. Changes would include but not limited to different head casting, different intake manifold casting, ECU calibration, EPA certification, SAE certification, a ton of testing and that's just if they don't change the cams, valves, pcv system and pistons for better compatibility, compression, mpg, power, reliability and driveability. So NO it is not some easy thing that Ford could just slap on like someone else posted.

I heard a rough guestimate by a GM engineer that DI can add about 17% extra HP due to the cooling effect and being more precise, while also increasing fuel economy.
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:41 PM   #79
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by fradaj View Post
I heard a rough guestimate by a GM engineer that DI can add about 17% extra HP due to the cooling effect and being more precise, while also increasing fuel economy.
That number is way too high.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:44 PM   #80
fradaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserO2Evils View Post
I think DI is Fords "Ace in the hole". Should the new Camaro come out swinging@460+HP, ford will be able to step up. The Coyote is adaptable to DI, already.
That Voodoo engine in the GT350 might be DI, I don't think they ever said exactly.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:46 PM   #81
fradaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
That number is way too high.

I think I read it in Hot Rod Magazine.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:56 PM   #82
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Since the current Coyote produces 435HP, a 17% gain would be 509HP. That sounds pretty unlikely.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:05 PM   #83
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Definitely didn't happen in the case of LS3 to LT1. Maybe the keyword is can

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:37 PM   #84
GearBangr

Drives: 97Z,02TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Definitely didn't happen in the case of LS3 to LT1. Maybe the keyword is can
Agreed, it can but there many more variables obviously. The 3.6 gained a significant amount of power from DI.

With the LT1, they also went to a smaller cam.
LS3: 204/211 .551/552
LT1: 200/207 .551/524
GearBangr is offline   Reply With Quote