Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 01-13-2015, 10:30 PM   #253
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Chill View Post
I don't know, but it's already old news and not a word has been spoken here yet until now, 36 hours later.
There is actually a couple threads about this and they were posted before this one. Plus there isn't a lot to talk about its all speculation till they put down some numbers on a track.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=391586
Old 01-13-2015, 10:54 PM   #254
Mikebrinda

Drives: Ferrari F430 Spider F1 Azzurro Arge
All I can say is that some version of that engine belongs in the new Ford GT . . . .
Mikebrinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:46 PM   #255
LateBrakeU2

Drives: 15 RH Z/28, 23 RB2SS1LE, 23LT1VOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrinda View Post
All I can say is that some version of that engine belongs in the new Ford GT . . . .
Great looking car,but your either a ford guy or a chevy guy. As far as competition, I hope they run a some in the Conti tire series next year. The Z28 was GS champ last year, and the car to beat this season. We are seeing flashes of the old TA series again, total rebirth of Detroit pony car wars. Never though I would see it again in this lifetime. We are fortunate to have such amazing performance cars once again, and to "top it off" gas is now affordable! Someone pinch me, gotta be a dream right?
LateBrakeU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:58 PM   #256
MARKSTI

Drives: 2015 z28 sold
Not being a jerk, but being quite honest... 98% of z28 owners will not track or will not track their cars at a high enough skill level to where they will have to worry about the Shelby.

From raw car data the Shelby would be be 2-3 seconds at lap faster then say a Z28 on a course like Laguna Seca when it driven by Randy Pobst...Nothing a head/cam package wouldn't take care off on a 7.0 liter ls7.

But, yes when bench racing i guess that car would be a kick in the butt of some Z owners.
MARKSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:12 AM   #257
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
..that wing should be an option, lol. And at least they offer a comfort package...I know, I know...for GM it's called a ZL1
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:17 AM   #258
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKSTI View Post
...From raw car data the Shelby would be be 2-3 seconds at lap faster then say a Z28 on a course like Laguna Seca when it driven by Randy Pobst...
With all due respect, I think that's hugely optimistic, especially at Laguna Seca!

Personally, it's clear the GT350R was part of the Mustang redesign -- if not from the very beginning, then well before the final engineering was completed. Based on that fact alone, it would be hugely embarrassing to Ford if it's not quicker than the Z/28.

The next few years are going to be good. If the GT350R leapfrogs the Z/28, the C6-based Z/28 is waiting in the wings.

One big point, however. If the next Z/28 has forced induction, I'll probably be changing over the the GT350R. Just my personal preference, assuming the rest of the car is up to (or above) the standards set by the Z/28...
Old 01-14-2015, 12:26 AM   #259
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsea View Post
Why would anyone be afraid to talk about it?

I'm glad Ford is following GM's lead and realized there is a market for vehicles like these ... it's always easier to let someone else take the risk and then jump in when they've created the market. Hey I'm just glad there's at least one Ford model that doesn't brag Ecoboost.

I'm sure it'll be a great car for those who like Mustangs and great competition for the Z/28. The more manufacturers make high performance vehicles at reasonable price points the better imo.

Er, didn't the Z/28 follow the Boss 302's lead. In fact, if it weren't for the Boss 302, would GM have simply stopped with the ZL1 and simply called it the Z/28? There would have also been no need for the 1LE, so if anyone is following here, I think it's GM. Now where's that mid-engined Corvette?

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:28 AM   #260
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brt3 View Post
I, for one, welcome competition -- it really does improve the breed. I'll be interested to see the production numbers, exact pricing details, and exact (wet) curb weight -- both with and without A/C and options. I am a little surprised that the car has CF wheels but steel brakes. I'm I misreading the photos?

I would have no issue buying one if it's demonstrably better than my Z/28. Both Chevy and Ford have great racing histories, and if it's fast I don't much care about the logos...

The Ford I'm really anticipating is the Focus RS -- that's going to be an absolute blast!
An enthusiast after my own heart.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Old 01-14-2015, 12:32 AM   #261
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBrakeU2 View Post
Great looking car,but your either a ford guy or a chevy guy. As far as competition, I hope they run a some in the Conti tire series next year. The Z28 was GS champ last year, and the car to beat this season. We are seeing flashes of the old TA series again, total rebirth of Detroit pony car wars. Never though I would see it again in this lifetime. We are fortunate to have such amazing performance cars once again, and to "top it off" gas is now affordable! Someone pinch me, gotta be a dream right?
Ford Guy? GM Guy? Maybe in the 60's or 70's but now I'd rather call myself a North American Car Guy, and see the domestics setting world class standard again, and fearing nothing fast from Europe, stylish from the UK, well built from Germany, nor cheap from China. With Ford's (and Cadillac's) new attitude, I really think we are beginning to see the resurgence of the auto industry. Now if we could just get Chevy (except the 'Vette, or course) and Lincoln on the right path.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:49 AM   #262
MARKSTI

Drives: 2015 z28 sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by brt3 View Post
With all due respect, I think that's hugely optimistic, especially at Laguna Seca!

Personally, it's clear the GT350R was part of the Mustang redesign -- if not from the very beginning, then well before the final engineering was completed. Based on that fact alone, it would be hugely embarrassing to Ford if it's not quicker than the Z/28.

The next few years are going to be good. If the GT350R leapfrogs the Z/28, the C6-based Z/28 is waiting in the wings.

One big point, however. If the next Z/28 has forced induction, I'll probably be changing over the the GT350R. Just my personal preference, assuming the rest of the car is up to (or above) the standards set by the Z/28...
Bench racing LOL.

I'll let you know how good a new Shelby is when i race one at the track...And if your a proper racer then you know very little if any cars at the track are 100% stock and the biggest advantage is the skill of the driver behind the wheel.
MARKSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:56 AM   #263
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
Er, didn't the Z/28 follow the Boss 302's lead. In fact, if it weren't for the Boss 302, would GM have simply stopped with the ZL1 and simply called it the Z/28? There would have also been no need for the 1LE, so if anyone is following here, I think it's GM. Now where's that mid-engined Corvette?
The ZL1 and BOSS were both 2012 models so I'm not sure how you can say one influenced the other. The 1LE was developed along side the ZL1 so, same situation.

If the spy shots are to be believes, the mid engine Zora is on its way.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:45 AM   #264
Splat

Drives: 2012 1SS M6 IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
Stop me if im wrong, but... wasn't the ZL1 suppose to be the Z/28?

I think I remember someone say that it was pulled because it didn't follow the history of the Z/28
Mods: LSA Supercharger, 2.55 Pulley, Custom Boost Cam, ARH LTH 1 7/8, HFC, 3' Magnaflow Exhaust, JLT CAI, Elite CC V2, BO White Stage 2 TB, GM 3.91 Gears, DSS CF Driveshaft, BMR Bushing Kit.... . Tuned by JTM Motorsports 540 Hp 550Tq on 9PSI

Axles, Monster Clutch, Hotchkis TVS Track Pack kit.......For 2018.
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:19 AM   #265
Harryoz

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrinda View Post
^^

This - The new Ford GT looks fabulous, just a shame it has a V6 instead of a V8. It should have had the flat plane crank V8 from the GT350 with twin turbos putting out 800hp.
Harryoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:06 AM   #266
SEVEN-OH JOE
Account Suspended

Drives: some to distraction
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
Bwaaahaaaa! I guess your [sic] discounting the 2000 Cobra R as a street-legal, track-oriented car? It only took GM 15 years to answer that offering.
!988 = 1LE. A/C not available. Track-optimized suspension and fuel system. Koni shocks optional. An outgrowth of Canada's Player's/GM Challenge cars, that were dealer-delivered with a roll cage and exhaust dump and "sealed" engines already installed.
One of the stars of that Series, where he was first introduced to "doorslammers"? Ron Fellows.

http://www.cartersclassicmusclecars....g%20series.htm
SEVEN-OH JOE is offline   Reply With Quote