Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 08:00 PM   #155
cjcamaro10

Drives: 2010 LS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSinisterLS3 View Post
How much is a new Brembo kit for the SS? I priced one at $2800 due to a friend working on his SRT10. Are you telling me brakes for a 911 are cheaper than the SS? DAYUM. That's ridiculous. Probably why that was BOLDED "NOT COVERED" on the warrant page.

Also, a coworker with a Boxter just turned 80,000 miles and made his first major repair. He was leaking trans fluid and it was jamming into over drive. Total cost to repair AT A PORSCHE dealer was $800 for a new seal and clearing out the trans. That's not bad.....since we pay $300 to repair busted 2006 crown victoria seals....
I used to have a boss with a 911 and he mentioned that the front and rear brake job cost him $2000. Not sure if that was rotors as well I know they were cross drilled. But all I heard was $2000. Ouch
Old 03-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #156
Sblann

Drives: 2013 camaro ss
I think i will also want to sell mine, I should have kept my 1969 camaro at least I was able to accept noises and issues with that one because it was 43 yrs old. I have little patience with issues with new cars especially when I paid 42,000 otd. (But thats me personally) Bought 3 new gm cars in the past year and have had issues with all of them. Just traded my 2012 silverado ext cab for a 2013 dodge ram quad cab. Hope I have better luck with the ram, but then again it really doesn't matter what brand of new car or truck you buy they all have some sort of issue with them eventually.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #157
SSinisterLS3

Drives: 07 C6 LS2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcamaro10 View Post
I understand our frustration but you are on a forum with a bunch of people that love their car. Trying to find anybody on here to agree or jump on your bandwagon is going to be difficult or impossible. I'm not trying to flame or disrespect but I think you are looking for indirect advice in the wrong place.

Not trying to make anyone jump ship so to speak. People like camaros. I get that. Deal is so many people just come in, when they read the title, and put useless crap like "wah wah" and leave. There's evidence to support what I have said here. It's crazy. My favorite though. "My car is the best." "Why?" "Oh, because I said so."
Old 03-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #158
the_fast_one

Drives: 2017 red hot zl1
Do not buy a P car if you are tall or a bigger guy. They are cramped on the inside and for the money they are not worth it unless you go 05+ with the updates. I had a 2000 911 and hated it from day 3 on. I went from a 05 Corvette and always wanted a P car....until I bought one. My 996 had 55k miles and clean bill of health. But an oil change was 250.00 the 60k mile service was 1850.00 and they found the dredded RMS was starting to leak and that cost 3k+ at a dealership. The good was it was light and nimble and handled like a go cart.

I love my 2012 SS but I have only put a couple hundred miles on it. I will agree with the paint but it was the same with my Vette but the interior is way nicer and I have had no other issues.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #159
SSinisterLS3

Drives: 07 C6 LS2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcamaro10 View Post
I used to have a boss with a 911 and he mentioned that the front and rear brake job cost him $2000. Not sure if that was rotors as well I know they were cross drilled. But all I heard was $2000. Ouch
Oh, I believe it! Drilled brakes are ridiculous! Just look at a Brembo job on a 350Z. Easiest car to do it on, and it is around two grand to do.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #160
CAMAROZL1

Drives: Point A to B Car until ZL1
Good luck with your next car!

but as many peeps have said, beware of the high costs of replacement parts of the Porsche, Viper or BMW.

They are really nice cars, just a PIA to keep them maintained....
Old 03-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #161
GmcSierra6.2

Drives: 05 gmc sierra 6.2
this guy still going on a rant..I read through all of the posts I have now wasted 8 mins of my life. I am sorry you are not worth my time. goodbye

Posted from Camaro5.com App for Android
Old 03-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #162
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Edition
Quote:
People can't read. I'm looking at 911s and vipers.

Then again...if he could read...he would have bought a Z....R....1 used instead of a ZL1 for the same price. Got one here for 70k....with 9k miles on it.
ZR1 has no backseat ( for storage or small people) nor real trunk and is a completely different insurance bracket as well.

I'd take a Camaro over a Vette any day for those reasons.

and 9k is plenty time to rag something out hard..
no thanks new is the only way to go on sports cars.
530/520 SAE
Old 03-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #163
the_fast_one

Drives: 2017 red hot zl1
Oh and if you think this place is bad about their cars you should check out an viper forums. When I was searching for 03+ viper. Turned me off to the whole car.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #164
Liam
Tampa Bay Camaros

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Hyper Blue
Ok, I have to a least make a comment on the paint thing. I'm sure there are people having issues, but I think its more of how/where its being driven. Prime example. My Camaro is a 2010 with 26k miles on it. I am the second owner. It has never had any paint work done and the entire car including the front fascia is flawless. No deterioration, no chips, no fading, no peeling...nothing. On top of that, since I moved I temporarily don't even have a garage, and still no issues.

Maybe its the Red Jewel Tintcoat, because it has a few more steps to the paint process. Either way, all I know it gets tons of compliments on how great it looks and how "deep" the metallic color is.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #165
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Brembo kits for the Porsche start at ~$3400 for the GT and as high as 9 g's for the GT-R sets. That's not including installation.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #166
jph2275

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
Quote:
After buying my SS, I loved it. I really thought I would keep it forever, then I arrived home. From the dealer to my house, I chipped the paint on the fender from a rock. After making a trip, my car looks like the front has been sand blasted. The paint quality on this car is so bad, Chevy admits there is only one coat of paint, and a coat of clear. You look at it wrong, and it scratches. I garage it, and come out going "Where did this come from?" I never drive it!!!!!

It is SO bad, I washed it, went to my dad's, and he said "Why does that camaro look like crap?" I told him I washed it. He called bs. He went, washed it himself, with me laughing at him the whole time. When done, he threw the bucket, and said "I would never buy one of those. That would just piss me off every time I looked at it." I told him "It does. I just gave up on the paint. Wax, wash, buff.....it doesn't matter what you do. It's horrible.

The power in the car is great, but some days it seems the car runs good, and breaks loose when you turn your head for a split second. Other days, just feels slow. This car is just simply way too heavy. Feels like the Challenger. It's bad when I have hated mustangs all my life, but the mustang.....feels the fastest.

Then there is the skip shift. The lying gauges. Tire pressure is off. Miles per gallon is ABSOLUTELY off. I got it to read 27mpg after my trip. Something is off there also. The nasty engine cover that is just pointless. The running lamps that are so cheap, Autozone sells the bulbs on the counter, seperate from the others, and it's right next to the Gumout at the register. The shifter that feels like you are shifting with a baby's head. The paint peeling under the spoiler. The frustration of trying to sync a phone to it. Parts are ridiculously expensive for this thing. It's like choosing between supercharging it, or buying another car! The halo headlights changing colors (which means they are about to blow out according to GM techs who replaced one on my car.) The cheap plastic grille that changes colors too. The body dings if it just touches against something (not like 4th gens that could take a basketball to the door.....did it with my 2000 Z28). Back seats only a three year old can get in. Visibility is so bad, most come with back up assist sensors. The most annoying thing of all. THE MOST ANNOYING THING....is you look around, and they are everywhere. So many, it just makes you sick to look at them. It has price gouged the new SS camaros to insane prices. That's the only good thing. Apparently my 2SS/RS is worth 28k on trade? Huh? Yeah...like a dealer will even come close to that.

Then, there is the stories. People who share their stories on here of getting a new SS for 30 grand. Yeah right. BS all day. The camaro used to be a car for people who were like me when I was younger. I didn't have much cash. I wanted no features, and a big engine. That's it. Now, it is more like a luxury sports car catering to all the old guys whose wives tell them they can't have that corvette.

So, what is good about the car? Why did I keep it for this long? To tell you the truth, it is simple. It may sound stupid, but to me, there is no better sound in the ENTIRE WORLD than an LS engine with full exhaust. It is worth all of the trouble. The handling is great, but traction control can go stupid without warning. The shifting, although the knob just HAS to go, is smoother than the challger and mustang. Feels just like my old one. I liked that. The sheer power is all this car has. The weight holds it back, which is more disappointing than getting a date with a blonde girl to find out later it's just bleached.

Now, to solve this issue, I have decided I will trade it if the right car comes along. I have always wanted a viper. I have always wanted a 911 porsche. I don't even want a turbo. Just a 911 is fine. When that opportunity comes knocking, I will do it. It's bad when Paxton's kit for a V10 viper is cheaper than the V8 camaro. It takes twice the time to put it in a viper and tune it right. Hmm. All in all, the camaro is great if you want an american car. In my opinion, it WAS the best of the trio. I will not buy a mustang. I refuse to unless it is a gotta have it green 5.0. Seeing as how they like to price those at around 38-40....umm, no. That's a used viper, or a 911. The truth has come out from yet another SS owner. Great car, ruined by problems. Not big ones, but so many little ones, you feel like you are baby sitting it constantly. I barely drive it, and every day, it gets more and more chips from dust particles floating in my garage I guess. Kids don't go in there. Wife doesn't either. SO, what is it? The paint job that is so bad, Kia feels insulted.

Come on 911. Come on viper. Give me something that will put a smile on my face while in it, and out of it. Driving a camaro will always put a smile on your face. Looking at it when you get out, or get done washing it, will wipe it clean off.
This guy was always an argumentative titty baby on the camaro forum anyway. Good ridance. Go get a car that suits you and let us all enjoy the camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
As long as it has enough horsepower, I don't really care if it's a 4, a 6, an 8, or a 10.
And I don't really car how they make the horsepower, whether it a Turbo, supercharged or just a whole lot of hamsters.
3.91's, TSP Longtubes, SWG Tune, Vararam, and a heavy foot
Old 03-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #167
CAMARO 11

Drives: 2011 CAMARO SS
Not sure about the paint but the only problem on my paint job is the rock chip cause by big trucks. I wash my car once a week and wax twice a year no problem on the paint. O also its a daily driver. Love my car.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #168
Liam
Tampa Bay Camaros

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Hyper Blue
The 5-0 who eats 5.0s

Based on your avatar and signature, I'm assuming you are in Law Enforcement? Just wondering, so am I.

Closed Thread