Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 04-25-2018, 01:21 PM   #57
dotfiles
@SS_1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Your first move should be going back to a stock tire size setup or a 295 or 305 square. 275's on this 3600+lb car are not doing you any favors. Since you say you've searched all the available bolt on aero parts for the 1LE, why not get some custom canards or a chassis mount splitter made? Be the guinea pig for all of us
Old 04-25-2018, 01:39 PM   #58
APEXHNTR

Drives: 2015 Turbo FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeks View Post
Cars from the factory are setup in such a way that they work for a majority of situations for a majority of drivers. While the 1LE is marketed as a track package, in reality Chevy still had to make the car work on the street and not overly complicate maintenance. Most of us that track the cars, even just the couple of track days per year, have changed the brake fluid to give us better braking performance and safety-that is one way we are all improving the car. Reducing weight, adding aero, improving tires, suspension and brakes are common ways people go after more speed at the track.

Personally, I like my warranty, so I am not doing major changes to the car, but I can understand the the OP wants to improve the car. I think a good adjustable coilover is better than MRC for a car that sees as many track days as the OP says he does. I have friends with E46 M3s with massive aero (splitters and adjustable wings) that let them corner at crazy speeds, so I understand the OPs desire for this as well.

OP, I think that you aren't getting good responses is because there just isn't much out for this car yet. Its still fairly new and most stuff that is out is developed with the cosmetic in mind before function is tested - and the 1LE is not a high volume model.

There were over 40K E46 M3s sold in the US, and there is still, 12 years after they stopped making them, a healthy aftermarket for them. There were only 1500 SS 1LEs made in 2017. 2018 will bring more, but we may not see high enough volume to have companies really spend R&D money to design what you are looking for.

Good luck with your search.
Thank you for your insight and understanding. I did not realize that the 1LE had such a limited production run. I'm sure that is a HUGE contributing factor to the lack of information available. I will just keep an eye on the market for now, I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotfiles View Post
Your first move should be going back to a stock tire size setup or a 295 or 305 square. 275's on this 3600+lb car are not doing you any favors. Since you say you've searched all the available bolt on aero parts for the 1LE, why not get some custom canards or a chassis mount splitter made? Be the guinea pig for all of us
I have the ability to switch between 275s and 285s currently. It is my understanding that the 11 inch wheel required to keep the proper sidewall stiffness (stretch) would not fit under the front fenders without serious body work, or grinding the strut, am I mistaken on that? I wouldn't mind going to a 295, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the lower operating costs and reduced rolling resistance of the 275s/285s.

And funny you should mention that. This morning I have finalized plans to work with Verus Engineering, out of Indianapolis, on a custom, chassis mounted splitter. I'll be driving my car there, and they'll be doing full scans of the car, and we'll be working on a splitter firstly, and if the interest is there, we'll be working on canards and a diffuser. Verus is pretty well known in the FRS/BRZ community, and they have been growing in popularity with the Fiesta/ST/RS/GT350 community as well, so I expect some exciting things from them.
APEXHNTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:56 PM   #59
dotfiles
@SS_1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by APEXHNTR View Post
I have the ability to switch between 275s and 285s currently. It is my understanding that the 11 inch wheel required to keep the proper sidewall stiffness (stretch) would not fit under the front fenders without serious body work, or grinding the strut, am I mistaken on that? I wouldn't mind going to a 295, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the lower operating costs and reduced rolling resistance of the 275s/285s.
See this thread https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495728 Search works pretty well

Honestly a setup like that and the DSC MRC controller would probably solve most of the issues you feel like the car has on track.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:20 PM   #60
pennektj

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
sometimes the most simplistic answer is the right one. Taking cue from pickup trucks in the winter... maybe you just need to fill your trunk with sand. If you wanted to corner balance you could strategically place sandbags at all four corners.

Constant grip improvement at any speed, regardless of weather conditions, straights or bends. Can be dynamically controlled by adding or removing sand based on the track, situation, etc.

Totally tongue in cheek, but man this is a seriously hostile thread... just trying to lighten the mood.
Make up the loss in acceleration by adding a supercharger.
pennektj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:27 PM   #61
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
It really sucks that a legit question that could possibly improve performance cannot be asked on this forum without the #stockordie guys attacking the OP.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:29 PM   #62
APEXHNTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotfiles View Post
See this thread https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495728 Search works pretty well

Honestly a setup like that and the DSC MRC controller would probably solve most of the issues you feel like the car has on track.
I actually just finished reading that thread. I read that one, and a few others, but especially the Apex thread. I appreciate that the tires are square, but I'd like to be able to rotate my tires without having to dismount them. I also am not a huge fan of the poke, but I will continue to research and see if I can find a wider setup that might work for me.

I'm also unfamiliar with the DSC MRC controller, that is not something that I've seen. Everyone I know either runs the stock MRC suspension, or has JRZs. Again, I'll go do some research. Thanks for the tips!

Edit: Just did a quick search on the DSC stuff, and I'm liking what I see. Seems as though they have several stages of performance modifications for 6th gen suspensions. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennektj View Post
sometimes the most simplistic answer is the right one. Taking cue from pickup trucks in the winter... maybe you just need to fill your trunk with sand. If you wanted to corner balance you could strategically place sandbags at all four corners.

Constant grip improvement at any speed, regardless of weather conditions, straights or bends. Can be dynamically controlled by adding or removing sand based on the track, situation, etc.

Totally tongue in cheek, but man this is a seriously thread... just trying to lighten the mood.
Make up the loss in acceleration by adding a supercharger.
Lol...there is certainly a time and a place for ballasting! I know you were trying to be funny (which is welcomed - this thread could use a few genuine laughs) but your suggestion isn't a bad one, in moderation. I have not had the chance to corner balance a 1LE yet, but I will definitely consider ballasting if the distribution is drastically off, and I'll be doing that before adding aero. It'd be amusing if that was all it took...

Last edited by APEXHNTR; 04-25-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:46 PM   #63
APEXHNTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
It really sucks that a legit question that could possibly improve performance cannot be asked on this forum without the #stockordie guys attacking the OP.
My best friend has owned something like 27 or 28 F body cars...while it's frustrating, I can't say I didn't see it coming...the #stockordie mentality seems to be a pattern with a large portion of GM car owners.

Hopefully I can be a pioneer. As mentioned above, I'm going to be working with a company over the summer/fall on some aero that will have technical data and CFD graphs to support it. Maybe those who have similar questions will have better answers by the 2019 season.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:29 PM   #64
Chris V

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
My best friend has owned something like 27 or 28 F body cars...while it's frustrating, I can't say I didn't see it coming...the #stockordie mentality seems to be a pattern with a large portion of GM car owners.

Hopefully I can be a pioneer. As mentioned above, I'm going to be working with a company over the summer/fall on some aero that will have technical data and CFD graphs to support it. Maybe those who have similar questions will have better answers by the 2019 season.
I'll be interested. I took a look at their stuff, and if you have any input on design, I'd ask that they make the splittler less of a straight edge and more following the profile of the car. Most rules-based organizations specify a maximum splitter length from OEM, and if it follows the profile of the car you can get more area on the splitter, and thus more downforce.

I'm running DSC on my car and like it a lot. The OEM shock tune sucks for autocross, but works well on track. I like the DSC on track too, as the car is incredibly more forgiving. I'm working on custom front springs for the front of the car at about the DSSV rates, but retaining the MRC and DSC. The first iteration was too short, so the spring company is sending another version for me. I'll post when that's done.

You can fit big rubber on the car - for autocross this year I'll be running the 5th gen Z28 wheels - 19x11 front, 19x11.5 rear with 305 all around. You have to grind the strut at the knuckle to make it fit, but it fits. I've added camber plates to get to -3 degrees without having to get all the camber at the knuckle.

If you want to rotate, you can run 19x11s with a spacer on one end to make it all fit and rotate. I may do that (but with 18x12s for autocross) later on.

I love the car, stock. I tracked it and autocrossed it stock. It's a great car. I'm just not the type to leave well enough alone, and while I'm not a national champion, I run in competitive events, and if I'm not optimizing for the ruleset, I'm falling behind.

So it's getting springs, and a Whipple, and I'd LOVE some real aero. I'll be following your progress. Unless you don't want to deal with the #OEMisBEST! chuckleheads, in which case shoot me a PM before you go.
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:34 PM   #65
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
I'm not here to debate half the sh*t being argued...

just wanted to put up a few points. both sides have valid, supported reasons I'm seeing.

-The reason most are touting the stock stuff, is simply because its currently some of the only products THAT HAVE been wind tunnel designed and tested. So legit, its really the only proven stuff, outside of common sense additions (wings, gurney flaps/wicker bills, and a few legit splitters like APR and others of that design realm). the same goes for an actual diffuser. only 1-2 companies, one being ZL1 add-ons that I've seen being made.

- as most already know usage and timeVSmoney of getting a wind tunnel to test, is out of the financial realm of most aftermarket companies. so its kinda a "if you know what you need" we make it ordeal with many companies. a lot of stuff in the fiberglass and CF offerings, offer mainly and only appearance mods.

-Theres only a few companies that make an actual splitter. a flat board like piece that goes under the bumper and extends 2-3 inches from the stock offerings. the GM piece is an "air dam" at best. although functional and proven, its not the same as a splitter. Air dams/lip spoilers do the same as a splitter, just to a FAR LESSER degree. anyone needing more info on that: http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/splitter.html

but like "cold air intakes" where originally the difference were actually a long ram (cool) vs a short ram (warm) intake, now all intakes are called "cold air" since marketing matters and COLD is better than COOL air (you can sell more, if it sounds better).... likewise, anything that hangs off the bumper has now been dubbed a "splitter", even if its just a lip spoiler/air dam, etc... same also goes for diffusers... a legit diffuser channels air out from under the car and usually has some sort of fins to section air. most refer to the rear bumper extensions that house the tips as a diffuser as most have been simply designed to look like its performance minded.

-lastly to the OP. as said, I haven't seen any wind tunnel testing on it, or any other brands, but I ran across this in the road/track forum a while back. http://stevechristycomposites.com/ its peaked my interest. but will be way down the road after I sort out upgrading from FE2 suspension. also another I came across https://www.aerosportconcepts.com/st...en_Camaro.html

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:52 PM   #66
AZ_1LE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
I just want better brake cooling
AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:27 PM   #67
APEXHNTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
I'll be interested. I took a look at their stuff, and if you have any input on design, I'd ask that they make the splittler less of a straight edge and more following the profile of the car. Most rules-based organizations specify a maximum splitter length from OEM, and if it follows the profile of the car you can get more area on the splitter, and thus more downforce.

I'm running DSC on my car and like it a lot. The OEM shock tune sucks for autocross, but works well on track. I like the DSC on track too, as the car is incredibly more forgiving. I'm working on custom front springs for the front of the car at about the DSSV rates, but retaining the MRC and DSC. The first iteration was too short, so the spring company is sending another version for me. I'll post when that's done.

You can fit big rubber on the car - for autocross this year I'll be running the 5th gen Z28 wheels - 19x11 front, 19x11.5 rear with 305 all around. You have to grind the strut at the knuckle to make it fit, but it fits. I've added camber plates to get to -3 degrees without having to get all the camber at the knuckle.

If you want to rotate, you can run 19x11s with a spacer on one end to make it all fit and rotate. I may do that (but with 18x12s for autocross) later on.

I love the car, stock. I tracked it and autocrossed it stock. It's a great car. I'm just not the type to leave well enough alone, and while I'm not a national champion, I run in competitive events, and if I'm not optimizing for the ruleset, I'm falling behind.

So it's getting springs, and a Whipple, and I'd LOVE some real aero. I'll be following your progress. Unless you don't want to deal with the #OEMisBEST! chuckleheads, in which case shoot me a PM before you go.
I will have design input only as long as it doesn't compromise structural integrity, or functionality. I tend to favor splitters that follow body lines as well, so I will definitely mention that. I think I'll probably make a thread later, and see what kind of interest there is in some sort of an adjustable aero "package", we'll see how that goes...

As for the tires, I'd REALLLLLLY like to stay under a 295, but I'm glad that an 11 can fit. I assume you're using a +10ish offset? Would you happen to have a build thread and/or pictures of the fitment?

And you're exactly where I'm at. I can appreciate the car in its stock form, but I simply can't leave well enough alone. I'm always chasing a faster lap time, and I tend to prefer for my cars to be waiting for my drivermod to catch up, versus the other way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
I'm not here to debate half the sh*t being argued...

just wanted to put up a few points. both sides have valid, supported reasons I'm seeing.

-The reason most are touting the stock stuff, is simply because its currently some of the only products THAT HAVE been wind tunnel designed and tested. So legit, its really the only proven stuff, outside of common sense additions (wings, gurney flaps/wicker bills, and a few legit splitters like APR and others of that design realm). the same goes for an actual diffuser. only 1-2 companies, one being ZL1 add-ons that I've seen being made.

- as most already know usage and timeVSmoney of getting a wind tunnel to test, is out of the financial realm of most aftermarket companies. so its kinda a "if you know what you need" we make it ordeal with many companies. a lot of stuff in the fiberglass and CF offerings, offer mainly and only appearance mods.

-Theres only a few companies that make an actual splitter. a flat board like piece that goes under the bumper and extends 2-3 inches from the stock offerings. the GM piece is an "air dam" at best. although functional and proven, its not the same as a splitter. Air dams/lip spoilers do the same as a splitter, just to a FAR LESSER degree. anyone needing more info on that: http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/splitter.html

but like "cold air intakes" where originally the difference were actually a long ram (cool) vs a short ram (warm) intake, now all intakes are called "cold air" since marketing matters and COLD is better than COOL air (you can sell more, if it sounds better).... likewise, anything that hangs off the bumper has now been dubbed a "splitter", even if its just a lip spoiler/air dam, etc... same also goes for diffusers... a legit diffuser channels air out from under the car and usually has some sort of fins to section air. most refer to the rear bumper extensions that house the tips as a diffuser as most have been simply designed to look like its performance minded.

-lastly to the OP. as said, I haven't seen any wind tunnel testing on it, or any other brands, but I ran across this in the road/track forum a while back. http://stevechristycomposites.com/ its peaked my interest. but will be way down the road after I sort out upgrading from FE2 suspension. also another I came across https://www.aerosportconcepts.com/st...en_Camaro.html
E-X-A-C-T-L-Y. That's precisely what I'm talking about. I understand that wind-tunnel time is VERY costly, so I'd settle for CFD data, but even that is like looking for bigfoot. As for diffusers, you're right on the money. I like the design of the 6LE Designs diffusers, but again, there's no data, and that company seems to have a less-than-desirable reputation with this community, so I'm avoiding them. The other issue when it comes to diffusers, is that there are fact-laden arguments on both sides of the curved vs. flat diffuser debate, so even if a company were to produce one, there's a good chance that half of the target audience won't be interested.

I came across the Steve Christy splitter in my search on this forum, but I didn't see much beyond some photos. I will have a look around and see if I can find some more data. (EDIT: Unless I'm blind, it doesn't even appear to be on his website anymore...) Thank you for sharing those links.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:25 PM   #68
Sleeks

Drives: None
Quote:
I'm also unfamiliar with the DSC MRC controller, that is not something that I've seen. Everyone I know either runs the stock MRC suspension, or has JRZs. Again, I'll go do some research. Thanks for the tips!

Edit: Just did a quick search on the DSC stuff, and I'm liking what I see. Seems as though they have several stages of performance modifications for 6th gen suspensions. Thanks for sharing.
DSC has been making aftermarket controllers for suspension for a while for Porsche. I have always seen good reviews of their stuff. Now they make controllers for Ford, Porsche and Chevy products. I've been tempted to get one, but I have a lot of "driver modifications" (I'm a relative track noob) that I need to make before I start messing around with the car.

Hyper Blue 1SS / 1LE
Sleeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:54 PM   #69
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Not saying this is the best solution, but look at what they did for aero on the GT4 Camaro. All the aerodynamics have been developed and tested on a full-scale rolling road and wind tunnel and proven on the track. Of course this was based on the ZL1 body.
Attached Images

carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:43 PM   #70
BigShow1960
BigShow

Drives: 2017 1 Camaro + Chevy Avalanche
I'm waiting for the warranty to expire before any serious mods. In the mean time I'm going to work on pushing my newbe skills and going to be watching what mods others are doing to their cars.
BigShow1960 is offline   Reply With Quote