Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Ask the Camaro Team

AWE Tuning

Old 03-18-2018, 12:10 PM   #29
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
+1
I currently run Mobil 1 5W40 Turbo diesel oil in my LS3 due to the improved additive packages.
Would be interested in whats recommended for the LT1 which may be in my future.
Boost Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 01:34 PM   #30
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
Bump for the next poll.

I assume we'll hear about the Mobil 1 ESP 0w-40 in the response, but it'd be nice to have a somewhat official response especially with warmer weather approaching.
+1

I would also be interested to see if volatility issues of 0W- oils have been addressed in the new Mobil 1 ESP products. I believe this to be an especially important topic when looking long term at the potential intake valve coking and varnishing issues associated with GDI.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:43 PM   #31
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
You guys need to get out more. Here is an official Mobil 1 FAQ that mentions the CTS-V and Camaro along with some specs of the different oils as well. I've used the Mobil 1 European 0W-40 on my 5th gen Z Since I installed the cam, but the new ESP was specifically created for the Corvette.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Mobil1 1 2018-FAQ Sheet - Final.pdf (2.45 MB, 352 views)
File Type: pdf mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf (89.8 KB, 460 views)
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:43 PM   #32
waterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
You guys need to get out more. Here is an official Mobil 1 FAQ that mentions the CTS-V and Camaro along with some specs of the different oils as well. I've used the Mobil 1 European 0W-40 on my 5th gen Z Since I installed the cam, but the new ESP was specifically created for the Corvette.
Thanks for posting.

I have seen the press release from Mobil 1 and the Products Spec sheet. I /we are looking for confirmation from Chevrolet that ESP 0W-40 is (warranty) acceptable for use in the ZL1 LT4. Is 15W-50 still recommended for track use in the ZLE?; or with the new ESP formulation is it acceptable to use 0W-40 for both applications (street and track)? I trust Mobil 1, I am seeking confirmation from Chevy.

Oil volatility specs, which are not outlined in the Mobil 1 Product Spec sheet, are especially important to me in a GDI/PCV platform. There is a direct correlation between lower volatility levels and reduced intake valve coking, charge air cooler varnishing and carbon build up in the combustion chamber. All of these will rob us of performance levels over time. The higher the volatility levels, the sooner that it will happen.

0W- oils have traditionally had higher volatility levels, in most cases significantly higher levels than 5W-. Does the new ESP formulation address this? Theoretically, 0W- with reduced volatility gives us the best of both worlds. Low viscosity for reduced wear at start up and higher visc. for reduced wear and protection at higher operating temps.

I believe that most in this thread are looking for confirmation from GM that the new multi-viscosity ESP formulation is acceptable over the previously recommended viscosity range. If we are able to transition between street and track with this formulation, as it appears that the ZR1 can. Finally, how does the new formulation address oil volatility at lower viscosity levels?
Old 03-19-2018, 07:47 PM   #33
Dwille

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
That is a great document. Unfortunately it doesn't help us ZL1 1LE owners as GM wants us to run 15w50 on track. They do say the 0w40 works on track for the LT4 in the Z06 so there is hope... but wet sump Camaro vs dry(ish) sump Z06...

I hope they say we can run it. Makes life much simpler.
Dwille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:41 AM   #34
nasbagoat

Drives: 17 SW 1LE
Another question brought up in the 1LE section was about oil temp. Oil temps climb pretty quickly on track but level off and hold steady at 270-275 accoding to cosworth data. I there a reason for this? Is it intentional? Wouldn't there be a benefit to getting oil temps down more and if so how do we do that?
nasbagoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 12:17 PM   #35
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasbagoat View Post
Another question brought up in the 1LE section was about oil temp. Oil temps climb pretty quickly on track but level off and hold steady at 270-275 accoding to cosworth data. I there a reason for this? Is it intentional? Wouldn't there be a benefit to getting oil temps down more and if so how do we do that?
Do the engine, trans, and diff coolers all rely on engine coolant for cooling, or do they have their own "radiators"? (Honestly don't know. Thought I saw where the trans and diff uses engine cooling system for cooling)

I'm wondering if getting a 160° engine thermostat would help bring down the oil temps. Other solution would be to install an auxiliary cooler and fan, but that causes it's own packaging issues.
Boost Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 01:47 PM   #36
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasbagoat View Post
I imagine it's going to be a factor of how much thermal capacity the heat exchangers have to shed heat, vs how much thermal energy is being produced and introduced to the system by the engine/trans.

The thermostat is more than likely wide open the whole time, and the resulting temp of 265-275 is the equilibrium that is reached as a result of the relationship I just mentioned.

A poorly-designed system will overheat....More heat in, than can be released. A poor system will also shed too much heat, too quickly...remember - oil wants to be at 210 are regular operating temperature, and these things are street cars first....
Old 03-26-2018, 05:26 PM   #37
baron95
2018 1LE, NASA Instructor

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
ˆˆˆˆˆ

Yes, I'd be more concerned about oil not reaching 210F on the street, then it going to 275F on track.

Coming from a C7 corvette, oil wanted to go to 300+ very fast in the Z51 and 310+ in the Z06. It required keeping max RPM in check to do a 20 min session.
baron95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:53 AM   #38
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Now that the latest question has been answered - we're on the hunt for the most popular/interesting questions...I've got my eye on this one!
Old 04-25-2018, 02:22 PM   #39
waterman

+1

Interested in Team Camaros' take on Mobil1 ESP 0W-40 for all LT4s, LT1s as well.

Al, can you encourage M1 to develop an ESP 0W-50 for summer and warmer climates?
Old 04-29-2018, 09:12 AM   #40
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Yep still watching this one as well. Definitely interested in the clarification on the ZL1 vs 1LE manuals.

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:25 PM   #41
Hyperlinkblue

Drives: 2017 1ss m6. Blue.....
I would like to hear this as well before i spend 80 bucks on oil for my oil change coming up...... I agree with everyone, to many grey areas on selecting the proper oil. What about a lt1 that has bolt ons and is mostly driven on the street and see's alot of WOT in 60 degree plus temps... Starting to think 5-30 is not the best oil for this purpose.
Hyperlinkblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:54 AM   #42
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Yeah I am interested in this as well. My Camaro is a street car mostly. I know about the new Mobil1 0W-40 ESP oil which is Dexos2, but I stuck with a Dexos1 Gen2 5W-30 when I changed my oil last month considering the change wasn't official for the Camaro yet( and still not to my knowledge as I haven't seen any official GM doc about it).

Considering I drive my Camaro on the street with some spirited driving( no WOT's and oil temp peaking at ~210-220 F according to the gauge), would GM still warranty my car if I decide to continue to use 5W-30 considering as of now the only safe 0W-40 Dexos2 oil for street use is this Mobil1 oil?
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote