Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 04-22-2018, 03:19 PM   #99
autocross

Drives: 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by srcstc View Post
"Does it feel like a rough beast that wants to be revved up, or a super smooth engine that is civilized. "

OP, why don't you go test drive all three instead of asking all these silly questions?? Or are you just trolling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not here to troll. I am currently living in Hawaii. The dealership will be getting another shipment of camaros next month, and they said they’d give me a call. Hopefully then I can drive them. So far they’ve been a big pain. Unfortunately that’s the only chevy dealership on this island. Backup plan is flying out to the mainland and shipping one over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhopt36 View Post
"a rough beast that wants to be revved up, or a super smooth engine that is civilized."
I'd say both, not really rough by any means. Amazing workhorse engine, in my opinion. A shade over just half the displacement of the V8, and very capable. Incredible for its size and weight.
There were -TWO- special shows on TV recently, highlighting the Camaro Gen 6, and the engine they chose to review was the V6. Was very informative in itself.
(AND USA MADE!)
I have an update to V8 economy that I obtained with mine yesterday. 300~ mile round trip, about 2/3rds highway, 1/3rd backroads and town driving.
Doing the fillup routine, and recording mileage, I got 27.74 MPG overall.
Indicated on the cluster group, was 22.4, average. (???)

Bears with Kodaks were all over the place, and one really checked my ass out for several minutes.
I tried to behave, but found the car loves it when hitting 80.
Did a couple blasts to get around roadie tick-turds.
Mileage was with premium. Surprisingly, it was identical to a trip with the V6, but poking around through town to restaurants and such the 8 couldn't do better, whereas the 6 got 37.
I wouldn't consider either to be bad at all. Least ways, for this kind of driving described here.
Thanks for the info! Sounds like you had some fun driving the cars around!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzinQueen View Post

All day long I will agree that the V6 power is outstanding and loves to be revved. If you enjoy getting the engine up past 4500 on a regular basis then you will love this car. It won't have the torque of the V8 on the low end and it won't have that gorgeous rumble of the V8 but the sound of the V6 at the higher revs is very sporty and exotic. I think it all comes down to personal preference and what you plan to do with the car.
Sounds like a wonderfully built engine. I remember the I4 was kind of held back by the massive flywheel. I’d assume the flywheel on the 6 is much lighter, or at least less noticeable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayfield View Post
I don't believe that he's trolling, but this is actually the best suggestion. No one can pick the correct car for YOU. It's an entirely subjective thing.

I'm not who you want to talk to here, though, I can't imagine buying my first Camaro without a V8 up front, and I consider the SS to be very much a sports car. In fairness, I haven't driven the turbo 4 or the V6...I knew what I wanted, up front.
Thanks for the comment about me not trolling. I explained my situation above. It’s nice to know what you want!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhopt36 View Post
I bought the V6 last year, and was tickled with the performance---Until a test drive in the SS !!!!
I'm going to lay odds that 'autocross' will buy a 1LT in the end, to fulfill his AX intent, and still make a nifty DD.
You might have me all figured out!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I read his comments as describing the 6's and sixxers driving with a "lighter touch", and the heavier (and slightly more front-heavy) 8's being more deliberate in their moves. At least theoretically, you should be able extract a tiny bit more cornering and braking performance from any given set of wheels & tires with the lighter car.

If you ever did go forced induction on the 6, you'd lose some of its lighter feel in the corners. Most of that added weight would be located up high, up front.

One thing about a turbo-4 is that it's an NA-4 whenever you get caught off-boost in normal daily driving. Feels like an even smaller-displacement NA-4 until the turbo adds at least enough power to compensate for its additional exhaust system backpressure. You must keep the revs up where boost is at least starting to come on line any time you even think you're going to want or need good response. And there will be some lag, maybe not much, but you may still find yourself having to lead the throttle down anticipating when the boost is going to kick in. With NA, response is tied more closely to what your right foot is doing. Just so you know, my wife's car is a turbo-4, and it doesn't have nearly as much response down under about 2000 rpm as a 2.5L NA car we owned previously, and I find I have to start getting into the throttle at least 75' sooner in that car around one of the sweepers near where I live than I do in either my GT or in the Maxima. It hates being in 3rd gear going around neighborhood 90° intersections, particularly the tighter right turns. It really is that much different.

Even at considerably higher speeds on a road course, you can have a lot of fun with only a little over 300 HP on tap. You'd just drive it more like a 'momentum car' than as a big-power 'point-and-shoot'.

Norm
Oh wow! Sounds like the 4 really isn’t that awesome from your experience! Momentum is kind of my thing. I like carrying speed rather than just flooring it everywhere. Still shocked about the 4, but i did suspect it to have a little trouble before the turbo kicks in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack46 View Post
This is my 2016...One of the first cars built. I ordered it in September 2015 and it was built October 2015. Arrived at my dealer December 2015.. Man, what a wait that was! I got all options EXCEPT for dual mode exhaust! Stock exhaust isn't bad. V6 or V8? Yeah, would have loved to get the 2SS..For another $12,000...Could not afford that...
Replying to this comment so there’s no picture spam, what a great looking car!!
autocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 06:50 PM   #100
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
In summary to this, The V6 performance is outstanding especially for 3.6 displacement motor. Carrying 335 Horses and more than enough accelleration to give you a grin and even put a "WOW" on your face. Down low in the RPMS (3,000 and below) it feels like a normal car..maybe slightly stronger..for example when my car was in the shop they loaned me a Malibu and I could INSTANTLY tell the difference.. the V6 Camaro is definitely a sports car. But then when you get into a hairy situation (accidently pull out infront of someone, someone merging into you, or you need to make up some distance to merge real fast.) and you really hit the gas, it will NOT disapoint you, especially when you have been driving it normally all day, it makes you say "Wow! - Is this really the same car?" after about 3.5k RPMS...because it just wakes up and leaves. And unlike many V6's out there in the market, is does NOT fall flat on its face on the highway which is what really surprised me. Our G37 is a rocket on the street but after 75 MPH it starts losing steam.. My 1LT Camaro would EASILY take you up to 100 MPH and you wouldn't even feel it and possibly not even be trying...at highway speeds its only warming up and the thing is only turning 2k RPMS at 90 MPH...That is what I found insane.

Does it rev fast? Kind of...I mean...yes and no... It has enough power to pull its own and some so it can climb through the gears pretty quick but its not like exotic level revving so to speak.

Does it rev faster than the SS? ..Sorry but no... The SS is truly a pure monster and is plainly overkill for any kind of street driving.. you would have to see it for yourself when you test drive one, its hard to explain it but you'll know it when you drive between the two... its generally easiest to state that both cars are quite amazing, the V6 is an amazing machine especially for a V6 and it can be very deceiving to think that because its a naturally aspirated V6 that its not going to be powerful or competent.. The V6 basically stops at the "Wow, this car is amazingly quick!" where as the SS begins at that point where you say "Holy sh*t..hang on to something!"

So what I am inferring is just because the SS is insane, doesn't mean that you cannot have fun in that V6, it is MORE than enough for the street... both cars are overkill where as the V6 keeps it at a sane level of overkill and the SS just really rips the category apart from being a pure beast... If that makes sense. There is just still a very definitive difference between the two cars that..you will quickly know which one is superior... Its similar in ways to comparing a Camaro SS to a Camaro ZL1... Both are insanely quick, but there is still a very big gap between the two...

Edit: Oh one other thing, if you buy one BRAND NEW, it will feel slightly sluggish at first.. thats normal..after about 5k miles though it wont even feel like the same car that you originally purchased... it will rev SO much quicker.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:42 PM   #101
autocross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
In summary to this, The V6 performance is outstanding especially for 3.6 displacement motor. Carrying 335 Horses and more than enough accelleration to give you a grin and even put a "WOW" on your face. Down low in the RPMS (3,000 and below) it feels like a normal car..maybe slightly stronger..for example when my car was in the shop they loaned me a Malibu and I could INSTANTLY tell the difference.. the V6 Camaro is definitely a sports car. But then when you get into a hairy situation (accidently pull out infront of someone, someone merging into you, or you need to make up some distance to merge real fast.) and you really hit the gas, it will NOT disapoint you, especially when you have been driving it normally all day, it makes you say "Wow! - Is this really the same car?" after about 3.5k RPMS...because it just wakes up and leaves. And unlike many V6's out there in the market, is does NOT fall flat on its face on the highway which is what really surprised me. Our G37 is a rocket on the street but after 75 MPH it starts losing steam.. My 1LT Camaro would EASILY take you up to 100 MPH and you wouldn't even feel it and possibly not even be trying...at highway speeds its only warming up and the thing is only turning 2k RPMS at 90 MPH...That is what I found insane.

Does it rev fast? Kind of...I mean...yes and no... It has enough power to pull its own and some so it can climb through the gears pretty quick but its not like exotic level revving so to speak.

Does it rev faster than the SS? ..Sorry but no... The SS is truly a pure monster and is plainly overkill for any kind of street driving.. you would have to see it for yourself when you test drive one, its hard to explain it but you'll know it when you drive between the two... its generally easiest to state that both cars are quite amazing, the V6 is an amazing machine especially for a V6 and it can be very deceiving to think that because its a naturally aspirated V6 that its not going to be powerful or competent.. The V6 basically stops at the "Wow, this car is amazingly quick!" where as the SS begins at that point where you say "Holy sh*t..hang on to something!"

So what I am inferring is just because the SS is insane, doesn't mean that you cannot have fun in that V6, it is MORE than enough for the street... both cars are overkill where as the V6 keeps it at a sane level of overkill and the SS just really rips the category apart from being a pure beast... If that makes sense. There is just still a very definitive difference between the two cars that..you will quickly know which one is superior... Its similar in ways to comparing a Camaro SS to a Camaro ZL1... Both are insanely quick, but there is still a very big gap between the two...

Edit: Oh one other thing, if you buy one BRAND NEW, it will feel slightly sluggish at first.. thats normal..after about 5k miles though it wont even feel like the same car that you originally purchased... it will rev SO much quicker.
AWESOME summary! Why is it the car revvs faster after about 5K miles? Is that something to do with the hard break in?
Where does the I4 fit into this summary? Is that like the runt compared to these other two?
Old 04-22-2018, 10:25 PM   #102
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by autocross View Post
AWESOME summary! Why is it the car revvs faster after about 5K miles? Is that something to do with the hard break in?
Where does the I4 fit into this summary? Is that like the runt compared to these other two?
Well I'll tell you a story first...

While I was still looking for a V6, I test drove a 1LT V6 that had about 5k miles on it. I nailed the gas and it immediately revved and took off. It was quick and it surprised my mother who drives a G37 which is comparably powered.

Later still, I purchased a brand new 2017 1LT V6 never used 5 miles on the odometer and it didn't feel quite as strong..it didn't feel weak or sluggish...but it took alittle more time to accellerate and rev...until later.. about 5k miles into it...it woke up to the point where I began to question as to whether or not it could hang with my LS1....by 15k miles I was pretty sure it COULD hang with my LS1.

After about 5k miles the motor loosens up considerably and it becomes easier for it to rev. After that it continues to loosen up over time just not as rapidly.

You'll notice a difference between a brand new 6th Gen and a used 6th Gen...oh and I didnt follow break in procedures...I told her this is how it is and had no mercy on it.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:37 PM   #103
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack46 View Post
Forgot the pics..Here she is....
She looks beautiful man but you need to change it at third light to a blacked-out light to match the other two. I did on mine and it looks way better.

There's also side markers you can get that match
Attached Images

IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 11:51 PM   #104
autocross

Quote:
Well I'll tell you a story first...

While I was still looking for a V6, I test drove a 1LT V6 that had about 5k miles on it. I nailed the gas and it immediately revved and took off. It was quick and it surprised my mother who drives a G37 which is comparably powered.

Later still, I purchased a brand new 2017 1LT V6 never used 5 miles on the odometer and it didn't feel quite as strong..it didn't feel weak or sluggish...but it took alittle more time to accellerate and rev...until later.. about 5k miles into it...it woke up to the point where I began to question as to whether or not it could hang with my LS1....by 15k miles I was pretty sure it COULD hang with my LS1.

After about 5k miles the motor loosens up considerably and it becomes easier for it to rev. After that it continues to loosen up over time just not as rapidly.

You'll notice a difference between a brand new 6th Gen and a used 6th Gen...oh and I didnt follow break in procedures...I told her this is how it is and had no mercy on it.
That is so awesome! She must not drink too much oil then? I know the V8 absolutely slurps oil in comparison to my toyota.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMadeYouReadThis View Post
She looks beautiful man but you need to change it at third light to a blacked-out light to match the other two. I did on mine and it looks way better.

There's also side markers you can get that match
That is a very tasteful modification. It looks as if it should’ve come from the factory that way!!
Old 04-23-2018, 12:50 AM   #105
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
This thread may really make me consider moving from my '11 SS to a Gen 6 RS. As much as I love the V8 sound, especially with my exhaust, the Gen 6 is just such a nice looking car.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:19 AM   #106
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by autocross View Post
That is so awesome! She must not drink too much oil then? I know the V8 absolutely slurps oil in comparison to my toyota.

That's not true. Don't post false information. You don't even own an SS so how would you know?

Mine doesn't consume any oil during it's normal OCI.

srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:34 AM   #107
mdhopt36

Drives: '17- 1ag37 V6 traded, for 1SS 2018!
I'm baby-ing mine, getting the oil/filter changed Wednesday, along with the rear-end. Has around 1200 miles on it. Nothing but a few blasts in the 3-4k range for hard driving.
Mileage has gotten way better, and motor seems to have loosened/smoothed up significantly.
Also, going to install the catch-can.
Out of a crapload of pickups since the mid-70's, this is my first real sporty car; so it's kind of an experiment for me as well.
(but what a shitload of fun??!!)
mdhopt36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:28 AM   #108
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
A V6 ought to have less need than a V8 for a catch can specifically because a 60° V angle will drain oil out of the outboard-side valve covers/cam covers better in the corners than a 90° V angle. Not considering cornering roll, at 1.0g laterally, one bank of a V8 will not drain at all. A V6 would need to be at 1.7g. In real life where you have to consider cornering roll, those g numbers would be roughly 10% and 15% lower, respectively.

Norm
Old 04-23-2018, 07:49 AM   #109
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by srcstc View Post
That's not true. Don't post false information. You don't even own an SS so how would you know?

Mine doesn't consume any oil during it's normal OCI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
A V6 ought to have less need than a V8 for a catch can specifically because a 60° V angle will drain oil out of the outboard-side valve covers/cam covers better in the corners than a 90° V angle. Not considering cornering roll, at 1.0g laterally, one bank of a V8 will not drain at all. A V6 would need to be at 1.7g. In real life where you have to consider cornering roll, those g numbers would be roughly 10% and 15% lower, respectively.

Norm
Haha if your both so sure go take the catch can off a V8 or V6 after 1k mikes and comeback with your results.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:02 AM   #110
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
Haha if your both so sure go take the catch can off a V8 or V6 after 1k mikes and comeback with your results.
I don't know if the V8 slurps oil with time, but in the 2700 miles driven so far, there's no sign of it on the dipstick. Also, IMO, if you mod our car, all bets are off.

It would be an interesting poll for the owners of stock V8s.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:14 AM   #111
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:

You have no need to look further, this is hands down the best summary you'll get on the topic before test driving both the V6 and the V8 yourself.

I had a 6th gen 2LT before the 2SS I drive now, and the difference is striking. This is not to say the V6 ain't good, it's the best V6 I ever drove, wakes up nicely after 3.5-4k rpm indeed, but I couldn't live with the lack of low-end torque, just look at its dyno curves to see what I mean.

It's a personal choice, though, I can totally see people not caring about that (and the sweet V8 rumble) that much. The SS is indeed a bit overkill for the street, pretty hard to keep under 75-80 mph

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:16 AM   #112
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
I didn't say there's no need with a V6. Just less reason to, unless something else is going on in some particular engine that probably shouldn't be.

Norm