Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-17-2018, 08:26 PM   #29
Kamaro223
Kamaro223

Drives: 2016 RS/LT Camaros
One more reason these cars are junk. I have similar issues and I do not agree they are normal. It has more to do with the temperature of the air rather then the flow. I routinely drive for 4 hours straight and due to the boredom of the drive, I have nothing better to do than listen to all the "normal" rattles, clunks, wind noise and monitor the temperature. Last time I did this drive, just about 10 days ago, it was 46F out for almost the entire drive. I left work and the temp was set at about 75ish with fresh air on and AC off. After about 15-20 minutes it was warm enough to turn it down. I usually turn it down in two degree increments. If I do anymore than two, ice cold air comes out and then slowly warms up until it is too hot in the car. This last trip I continued this trend in single degree increments all the way to LO. LO was the only setting that didn't blow hot air out of the vent and make the car uncomfortably hot to be in. LO made the car uncomfortably cold to sit in and as you know, turning it off does shit. This is the only car I've ever owned that has acted this way. I used to drive a 2006 G35, a 2014 SS and a 2002 Ram on this route, and after about the initial adjustment, one...maybe two more would set you up for the whole trip. I want to get a digital thermometer and monitor this more scientifically, but instead, I think I'm going to start a GoFundMe for a custom wrap in a nice shade of brown so this thing more accurately represents the piece of shit it really is. For now, I will try the recirc setting recommended in this thread.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:31 PM   #30
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obzen View Post
This is the standard way car air systems work.
Nope. Not for hyundai, toyota, honda.... it’s a crappy (GM) design thing.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:07 PM   #31
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Oh really? So the Hyundai I drive every day that works the same way was designed by GM?

Good to know.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:56 PM   #32
solobaric

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Quote:
Yeah my Toyota daily driver and F150 dont work this way.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:02 AM   #33
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
I've worked for Honda for 15 years and owned 36 of them, it does it on every single one along with every other type of car I've ever owned or driven.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:29 AM   #34
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
I strongly doubt it's as all or nothing as that. More likely it's something that for some other reason is more noticeable in some cars than others. It's much worse in my wife's Subie than it is in the Mustang, but even the Mustang still does the heating-when-off thing if the HVAC temp setting is off the cold-side stop (a Ford with HVAC by GM? I think not).

I'll bet that the 6th gen "dash-level" vent location makes it much more noticeable if you use the shift lever much.

Norm
Old 04-18-2018, 07:58 AM   #35
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I strongly doubt it's as all or nothing as that. More likely it's something that for some other reason is more noticeable in some cars than others.
It has a lot to do with the outside air inlet location and the amount of air that is forced in at speed. Most are located at the base of the windshield.

I honestly don't get how people can drive cars for any amount of time and not get that when the outside vent is open, AIR WILL COME IN EVEN IF ITS OFF. Come on people, you can't be this ignorant!
Old 04-18-2018, 08:15 AM   #36
Kise

Drives: 16' 2SS, 06' Silverado SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
The electric grid power switch for the back glass should always default to off on a shut off and restart of the engine. Should always require manual activation after start up.
my 2ss automatically turns on the rear defog as well.
Kise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:16 AM   #37
Kise

Drives: 16' 2SS, 06' Silverado SS
Quote:
did it in my charger exactly the same it does in my 2ss but it doesn't in my Silverado ss
Kise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:13 AM   #38
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kise View Post
my 2ss automatically turns on the rear defog as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
The electric grid power switch for the back glass should always default to off on a shut off and restart of the engine. Should always require manual activation after start up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Anvil Garage View Post
What about the rear defogger turning itself on automatically at times upon startup? Anyone ever have that issue?
@lt4camaro - This is not true. The owners manual states that under certain conditions it WILL come on automatically regardless if its a cold start or a warm start. It is not an issue, it is functioning as intended.

Both of my 6th Gen Camaro's have done this as well and the owners manual states they are supposed to. Supposedly the car measures the temperature and determines whether it will activate it or not...so it will not ALWAYS come on, but it is more likely during a cold morning start.
Need4Camaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:51 AM   #39
Navigator

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
I honestly don't get how people can drive cars for any amount of time and not get that when the outside vent is open, AIR WILL COME IN EVEN IF ITS OFF. Come on people, you can't be this ignorant!
Is this an older car thing? For younger people around here, that design frankly makes no sense. Just like at home I expect no heat/AC to be running when I have the thermostat set to off, I also expect in my car that there will be no heat/AC when I have the HVAC button set to off. If I want it on, I will turn it on. They really need to remove that middle power button, as it seems pointless to me. To be honest I'm still not sure what it does even after all these explanations above.
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:06 AM   #40
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
Is this an older car thing? For younger people around here, that design frankly makes no sense. Just like at home I expect no heat/AC to be running when I have the thermostat set to off, I also expect in my car that there will be no heat/AC when I have the HVAC button set to off. If I want it on, I will turn it on. They really need to remove that middle power button, as it seems pointless to me. To be honest I'm still not sure what it does even after all these explanations above.
If you don't understand after everything everyone has posted, I'm sorry but you're never going to understand it. Just make sure the recirculation button is always pressed and lit and air will never come out while the system is off.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:08 AM   #41
Navigator

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
If you don't understand after everything everyone has posted, I'm sorry but you're never going to understand it. Just make sure the recirculation button is always pressed and lit and air will never come out while the system is off.
Understood what to do....yes

Does it make any sense...no

What if I want zero air movement at all? Do I have to manually close all the vents then?
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:09 AM   #42
mcintyre1969

Drives: 1968 SS/RS, 2006 H2 2016 2SS White
Seems to me if air was not coming in, you couldn't drive all that far without passing out from lack of Oxygen