Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

AWE Tuning

Old 05-10-2017, 01:57 AM   #15
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
Thanks for posting your experience with the OEM pads and rotors. I recently found out that I can also use the OEM hat and use the DBA rings (for C7 Z06 size) on our 1LE brakes but that's for smaller (370mm) size :/ I had good pad/rotor life after the 3rd event with Raybestos ST43s and have 3 other events to provide more information on those. It looks like the OEM rotors might last a bit more than 6-7 events but I will put the DBA 5000 T3s as soon as they're done .

Did you get a chance to weigh the RB rotors?
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:27 AM   #16
whollins

Drives: Camaro
ZL1 brake options

there is another thread in the ZL1 forum on this topic. But it seems to contradict information in this thread. Or I'm missing something obvious.

Do the ZL1's use the Z06 brakes? If so it seems like there should be more options.

thoughts?

-----------------------
If Adam is right about the pads these are the same pads as the 2015-2017 Z06 pads so would be readily available. But somebody needs to check the pad part numbers. I cannot find the ZL1 pad part numbers on any GM site or aftermarket site at this time.

Edit: Just chatted with Adam. He said GM got smart this time around and is using the same calipers front and rear on the ZL1 and the Z06, so your choices in pads are huge both for low dusting street pads in carbon ceramic and good race and track pads from the good manufacturers.
whollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 04:07 PM   #17
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
1. I would not recommend turning a rotor used on a road course car.

2. While many aftermarket brake companies try their very best, none of them come close to the R&D done by the OEM and Brembo. Brembo spends more money on R&D than all the other brake companies in the world combined. This is my long winded way of saying the issue is not in the rotor or caliper. It is in the pads.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 11:47 PM   #18
OminouSS

Drives: Red Hot track candy
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
Thanks for posting your experience with the OEM pads and rotors. I recently found out that I can also use the OEM hat and use the DBA rings (for C7 Z06 size) on our 1LE brakes but that's for smaller (370mm) size :/ I had good pad/rotor life after the 3rd event with Raybestos ST43s and have 3 other events to provide more information on those. It looks like the OEM rotors might last a bit more than 6-7 events but I will put the DBA 5000 T3s as soon as they're done .

Did you get a chance to weigh the RB rotors?
Cem, did you get the T3's on? Curious about your initial thoughts and especially the longevity followup. GM did not make this sizing easy on us between the 1LE, ZL1 and SS.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:54 PM   #19
OminouSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
1. I would not recommend turning a rotor used on a road course car.
Curious as to why. If I am changing composition, I would want a clean surface. I'm not saying taking material off in a full resurface, but a shallow turn. As you can see from the pictures the thickness is not the problem on turning the rotors. The heat is what is compromising the iron. And yeah, you are absolutely correct that it is in the pads... in that the Ferodos are matched to the density of the brembo ring. But there are companies that are also developing compositions to work with their ring densities. The problems come when you mix & match outside the design limits, in my limited opinion.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:03 AM   #20
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Scuff them with scotch bright and change your pads to preserve as much rotor mass as possible.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 12:09 PM   #21
mbar

Drives: 2016 1SS
Quote:
Scuff them with scotch bright and change your pads to preserve as much rotor mass as possible.
+1
I use white magic eraser.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:44 PM   #22
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by OminouSS View Post
Cem, did you get the T3's on? Curious about your initial thoughts and especially the longevity followup. GM did not make this sizing easy on us between the 1LE, ZL1 and SS.
I did. I will take some pictures of the rotor temp paints on them. I used ST47/ST45 combo this time. The fade was non existent but I am still trying to adopt the quicker initial bite of the ST47s. I have been using ST43s for years and find them little bit easier to modulate. With that said, for frequent track use especially on a more powerful and heavier ZL1, ST47/ST45 might be a better match.

I have another event coming up on June 21st and will report back with updates
Old 06-12-2017, 04:57 PM   #23
OminouSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
I did. I will take some pictures of the rotor temp paints on them. I used ST47/ST45 combo this time. The fade was non existent but I am still trying to adopt the quicker initial bite of the ST47s. I have been using ST43s for years and find them little bit easier to modulate. With that said, for frequent track use especially on a more powerful and heavier ZL1, ST47/ST45 might be a better match.
Words out of my mouth.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:47 PM   #24
NW Sam

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Garnet Red
OminiouSS-

Thanks for all the brake information.
What is the brake pad part #('s) for our car from RB?
I plan to go to the track this summer and would like to have all my parts. Thanks, Sam
NW Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:58 PM   #25
glamcem

Quote:
Words out of my mouth.

How would you compare the RB rotors to the OEMs?
Old 06-25-2017, 03:23 PM   #26
SaphfireSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbar View Post
+1
I use white magic eraser.
Roflmao
SaphfireSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:55 PM   #27
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Quote:
Add that up and you have almost $2,000 in a consumable expense for 10 typical track days....BEFORE tires.

Same with the back rotor:

Once they are turned you can see how deep that signature went:

Thanks for posting;

How many laps, (per Track Day and total), do these rotor have on them?

How far down did they have to take the rotors down to get under the heat signature?
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:16 PM   #28
Yellow6thGen
18 ZL1 A10 Convertible

Drives: White ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
JP do they make a performance brake line in Red for,the 18 ZL1? I’m looking to buy a set ASAP, car is in the shop so I’m changing the pads out and my Powder coated rebuilt Calipers. Also looking for a cross drilled rotor hat replacement?

Thanks Steve

2018 ZL1 Convertible A10 @ Kooks R&D.
Yellow6thGen is offline   Reply With Quote