Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-20-2018, 07:45 PM   #99
CrazyRED

Drives: 2014 2SS RS 1LE
WOW! Just WOW!

Are you people as outraged by the 191 pedestrian fatalities per day in the US?

Do you think that a human driver would have avoided this horrible accident?

Unless you are a sick person, the loss of life is terrible no matter how you look at it. However, I think some of you are just looking for something to be mad and paranoid about. Denying the fact that technology is improving the quality of life in the World is just that, denial. Technology and advancement is coming no matter how much you hate or curse it. You either evolve with it or get left behind.

Accidents happen, but through technology accidents are being significantly reduced. Maybe we should all just be happy with our log cabins, outhouses, covered wagons, and 35 year life expectancy...

Last edited by CrazyRED; 03-21-2018 at 05:37 AM.
CrazyRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:12 PM   #100
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyRED View Post
WOW! Just WOW!

Unless you are a sick person, the loss of life is terrible no matter how you look at it. However, I think some of you are just looking for something to be mad and paranoid about. Denying the fact that technology is improving the quality of life in the World is just that, denial. Technology and advancement is coming no matter how much hate or curse it. You either evolve with it or get left behind.

Accidents happen, but through technology accidents are being significantly reduced. Maybe we should all just be happy with our log cabins, outhouses, covered wagons, and 35 year life expectancy...
I remember in the early ‘80s when airbags were introduced. Early on there were accidental deployments of airbags. People were killed. Lobbyists pushed for the banning of airbags. Short women and children were advised to not ride in the front seats of cars because even when airbags did go off as they were supposed to in a crash, the force of the airbags injured and sometimes killed people. People would only buy cars where they could delete the airbags as an option. Guess we should have shut that down back then and stopped developing and improving airbags.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:40 PM   #101
CrazyRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
I remember in the early ‘80s when airbags were introduced. Early on there were accidental deployments of airbags. People were killed. Lobbyists pushed for the banning of airbags. Short women and children were advised to not ride in the front seats of cars because even when airbags did go off as they were supposed to in a crash, the force of the airbags injured and sometimes killed people. People would only buy cars where they could delete the airbags as an option. Guess we should have shut that down back then and stopped developing and improving airbags.
As a case study I understand the reluctance of technological advancement because people are afraid of change. However, as a person that embraces technological advancements as exciting I just don't understand the absolute contempt towards improvement.

That being said, I understand the frustration of failures. The people that are developing these systems understand the frustrations of failures, especially when it leads to the loss of life. This lost life will lead to massive improvements though. This one lost life may lead to the saved lives of 10 or more people per day hopefully.

There's always going to be sick people trying to exploit a system. We good people just have to outnumber them and demand better, not just abandon something because of flaws
Old 03-20-2018, 09:21 PM   #102
fly2hip8

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
http://www.wibw.com/content/news/Ube...477288663.html

So, who is going to be held accountable for this? The person behind the wheel or the programmer?
fly2hip8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:27 PM   #103
frostys

Drives: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly2hip8 View Post
http://www.wibw.com/content/news/Ube...477288663.html

So, who is going to be held accountable for this? The person behind the wheel or the programmer?
Accident happening overnight involving a pedestrian who walked on the road where she was not supposed to? I'm guessing the pedestrian will be blamed.
frostys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:29 PM   #104
Stormcloak
slower than you

Drives: 2012 C6 Z06
Quote:
WOW! Just WOW!

Unless you are a sick person, the loss of life is terrible no matter how you look at it. However, I think some of you are just looking for something to be mad and paranoid about. Denying the fact that technology is improving the quality of life in the World is just that, denial. Technology and advancement is coming no matter how much hate or curse it. You either evolve with it or get left behind.

So when are you selling your Camaro?
Old 03-21-2018, 05:36 AM   #105
CrazyRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcloak View Post
So when are you selling your Camaro?
What part of that post that you quoted would indicate the need for me to sell my camaro?
Old 03-21-2018, 07:33 AM   #106
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
WOW! Just WOW!

Of course I am. But have you stopped to think that a machine-caused accident/casualty could - and likely would - be perfectly repeated every time the situation occurs until the root cause is found and fixed?

Quote:
Denying the fact that technology is improving the quality of life in the World is just that, denial.
As soon as you open that 'quality of life' door, you're going to run into resistance from those who actively enjoy driving. Hands free/self driving would specifically take enjoyment out of those peoples' lives. Denying that . . . well, I guess that denial sword cuts both ways.

Quote:
Technology and advancement is coming no matter how much you hate or curse it. You either evolve with it or get left behind.
Maybe it's not quite that rigidly binary.

Norm

Accidents happen, but through technology accidents are being significantly reduced. Maybe we should all just be happy with our log cabins, outhouses, covered wagons, and 35 year life expectancy... [/QUOTE]
Old 03-21-2018, 07:54 AM   #107
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
As a case study I understand the reluctance of technological advancement because people are afraid of change. However, as a person that embraces technological advancements as exciting I just don't understand the absolute contempt towards improvement.
Since you're that firmly in the 'let's keep having more technology' camp, you almost certainly can't fully understand what it's like to have advancing technology take something away from you that you enjoy doing yourself. It's not a fear of change where you as an individual actively chooses to let something go so much as it's a "take-away" or a confiscation of that same 'something' that you really want to be doing yourself.

Quote:
This lost life will lead to massive improvements though. This one lost life may lead to the saved lives of 10 or more people per day hopefully.
Hopefully that will end up being the case, at least in some overall sense. But how many more times will it take to find most of the flaws, how many more will die because of the human screw-ups that inescapably find their way into these systems, and is there any guarantee that the fix for one weakness in the system won't open up a new and unexpected one?

FWIW, experienced engineers tend to look at new things with some skepticism rather than through the starry eyes of freshly-minted bachelor-degree graduates.

Norm
Old 03-21-2018, 07:56 AM   #108
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
It is a mixed bag. On the one hand I can see where it could be beneficial in terms of freight delivery(ies), hauling and other service duties. I still feel that principal vehicle operation should be left to qualified motorists. I am actually on the other side of the spectrum. I feel that perhaps a bit more stringent education and testing should be put in place, to insure that new motorists know the basics in terms of driving. When you have more qualified drivers that focus on safety, I feel that this will reduce the amount of incidents on the road.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:15 AM   #109
Rusty35

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
What part of that post that you quoted would indicate the need for me to sell my camaro?
Well I interpreted it to mean that we should be ready and willing to give up our cars in favor of self driving cars.
Since you are arguing in favor of , then you should go first.
Rusty35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:19 AM   #110
Rusty35

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
WOW! Just WOW!

Unless you are a sick person, the loss of life is terrible no matter how you look at it. However, I think some of you are just looking for something to be mad and paranoid about. Denying the fact that technology is improving the quality of life in the World is just that, denial. Technology and advancement is coming no matter how much you hate or curse it. You either evolve with it or get left behind.

I care about the " 191 pedestrian fatalities per day"
Does the automated Volvo XC90 care about the person it killed?
Rusty35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:42 AM   #111
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:

That being said, I understand the frustration of failures. The people that are developing these systems understand the frustrations of failures, especially when it leads to the loss of life. This lost life will lead to massive improvements though. This one lost life may lead to the saved lives of 10 or more people per day hopefully.

There's always going to be sick people trying to exploit a system. We good people just have to outnumber them and demand better, not just abandon something because of flaws
When it comes to this technology, I guess my issue with it is not so much execution, but purpose. Why? Exactly what problem is this technology really going to serve outside of saving some companies money in not having to hire actual people as drivers?

As far as distracted drivers go, that is a problem that has grown, largely, as a result of technology. It is certainly a large and very important problem, and I'm not sure that an automated vehicle is the solution.

An automated vehicle can be programmed to "see" potential dangers, I'm sure. But what kind of dangers, how far ahead, and what are defined as potential dangers. Will and automated car be able to "see" kids playing soccer in the neighborhood park and realize the potential for the ball to kicked into the street and a child chasing that ball? Will and automated car be able to recognize a potential danger or change in traffic a block in advance? Will an automated car be able "see" the erratic driver weaving in and out of traffic? How do you program an automated car for a zipper merge due to temporary lane closure? How do you program and automated car to react to that a*hole that doesn't know how to zipper merge? Just too many one off variables that I don't think even the most advanced A.I. is ready for this kind of real world application.

Advancing technology for the betterment of mankind is one thing, advancing technology just for sake of technology is something else. I can see no real purpose or value in an automated vehicle, other than giving that distracted driver a free license to remain distracted.

Every problem has a solution and every solution has a problem. I see this as one solution that creates more problems than it solves, at least in the foreseeable future.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:07 AM   #112
samman11

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:
I think he means that you implied that your NON-Computer driven Camaro is dangerous to the public, since you are driving it and not a computer. Why should we, the public, be put in danger because YOU decided to drive your own Camaro and not let the SAFER computer do the driving for you. After all, progress is progress. Therefore, with such stated progress, it is logical to assume that one day, a law will be passed BANNING all self-driven vehicles. What a world. I guess going out for a Sunday drive just got real boring. Soooo, be the first one to put your money where your mouth is and sell your NON-COMPUTER DRIVEN CAMARO!
samman11 is offline   Reply With Quote