Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 08-16-2019, 04:45 PM   #1
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
new cam ordered

The dirty deed is done, after talking to vendors and my tuner, I went with a Cam Motion 230 /246 on a LSA of 116. +4 advance. I also liked their max effort 232 / 250 on a LSA of 117... still thinking I should have gone bigger. I like the "defined lope"

What I like about Cam Motion, they make cams for every engine size, every type of forced induction and are known for gentle ramps.

I custom ordered a .598 lift profile, Johnny at Cam Motion says this will leave 30 HP on the table but still make more than my stage 1 blower cam. After my lifter failure, I was willing to leave 80 HP on the table. My target is 100K miles with a valve spring change at 50K.

I'm still running the duel .660 spring from TxSpeed, but at my lift, I could get away with a beehive.

Cam should pull to 7000 RPM. I may put the fuel cut to 7300 RPM just to have bragging rights 0-60. I shift my current cam setup at 6800 RPM and it is still pulling strong about 56 MPH, about a 3.4 or 3.5 0-60. I want to bring that down to low 3s and maybe hit a 2.9 with 888R tires. The Zl1 M6 does not have this 0-60 issue as the shift should be about 62 MPH. No big deal but the car is a street fighter and 0-60 rules. Could also go to slightly larger tire...

Since the cam is smaller than expected (mainly lift but it has less duration too), I left the the pistons at 11.5 CR and probably be octane limited to about 750 WHP at 10 PSI or so on 93 octane. I'll have it tuned on E85 or E60 to hit my new lower target of 800 WHP. I use the word target loosely. I don't really care, I'll just go to where the timing and injection windows look good and then done. The car BEFORE the new bigger cam on a 4.5 pulley was alread too much for street tire.

"The Gen 5 LT/CS 230/246 Centrifugal Supercharger Camshaft is designed for aggressive street performance in cars using 6.2 liter LT engines. The Gen 5 LT/CS 230/246 Centrifugal Supercharger Cam will have a defined lope to the idle and strong midrange to upper RPM power. This camshaft is designed to be used for vehicles equipped with headers, high flow exhaust and increased stall speed torque converter, high flow intake systems and increased rear axle ratios.

If you are looking for an aggressive performance cam that you can daily drive or race at the track, this camshaft is a great choice.

The TITAN series cams are designed with our renowned smooth cam lobe design that provides quiet valve train operation and excellent upper rpm stability. Cam Motion offers this cam in 5150 steel alloy camshaft cores.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:22 AM   #2
Mick0311

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS Redline
I love lopey V8s. Reminds me of the high school built muscle cars.
Mick0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:16 PM   #3
oldman

It is hard to get a good lope with a properly designed supercharger cam... I was actually thinking of putting in a NA cam with a 113 LSA... NOT a power mod obviously.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:04 PM   #4
Drsagacity

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Nightfall Gray vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
It is hard to get a good lope with a properly designed supercharger cam... I was actually thinking of putting in a NA cam with a 113 LSA... NOT a power mod obviously.
Not sure that’s true old man. Soon I will be able to compare the rough idle cam from JRE which sounds completely badass to the JRE smooth idle cam...same performance but a smoother idle.

It is super simple to add a nice cam and run 700rwhp...but more importantly, match the sound profile you desire.

2018 Corvette Z06 vert- Black
To be tuned by JRE Racing
TBD performance
Drsagacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 04:07 PM   #5
oldman

Most vendors rate the cam at the same HP, even NA cams... I left 20 to 30 HP on the table just by going to .596 lift. That said I'm leaving the .635 lift crowd. I was in the LS1 valvetrain wars see below. Cam Motion says this cam will produce more HP then my last cam... it a bigger cam, one step below their max effort street cam 230 / 246 at 116 + 4 LSA.... max effort is 232 /250 on 117+4... they make bigger but recommend 416+ size engines.

Can you post the specs or is it "secret".
"You're seeing now a veteran of a thousand vavletrain wars,
I've been living on the lift so long, where the winds of power roar.
And I'm young enough to look at,
And far old to see, all the stars are on the inside.
I'm not sure that's there's anything left to me
Don't let these lopes go on!
It's time we had a break from it,
It's time we had some leave.
We've been living in a place,
We've been eating up our brains.
Oh please don't let these shakes go on!"
Old 09-02-2019, 08:07 AM   #6
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Well, Drsag, i hope for our sakes that the .636 lift LS7 lifter combo proves to be reliable. Mine's still going strong after 4k not particularly easy miles. My general mechanic cousin says that he has seen several stock ls motors with rocker bolt thread failure, the threads just pulled out of the head. That worries me as our valvetrain is essentially the same and we're running higher spring pressure in addition to more lift.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:12 AM   #7
oldman

My LS7 lifter failed at about 7K miles.... or less. Hard to tell, I got too many rides. I have all types of opinions on the failure from all types of experts. IMO, the rapid lift profile of the cam (TSP) was just too much for the lifter. Cam Motion is "known" to make gentle ramps, which does leave power on the table. BTW, the gentle ramps do let the valve down slower and there is more stability. It is valve bounce IMO that will fail these engines over the next 5 years and there will be guys (posted or not) that will fail the valve.

So IMO, I'm leaving the 20 to 30 HP on the table (car got way too much HP anyway), and doing a gentel ramp .596 cam. Call it overkill. I do like the conical spring because there is less harmonics, I just have not found one that is not too stiff. So I'll keep my TSP dual spring setup for now (complete overkill for .596 lift), but I will buzz the engine to 7200 RPM or so.... I don't want to shift out of 1st to 61 MPH.... just my goal.

I did go to Manley for new valves, as I want the engine to hold for 100K miles... change valve springs at 50K. Doable? dunno, clearly the LS7 lifter was a problem. I may look at a PAK conical spring....