Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 08-18-2019, 02:55 PM   #15
Homeless Junkie

Drives: around in circles few days a month
Quote:
Originally Posted by full*throttle*therapy View Post
I ran them for 2 night sessions at Charlotte after my OEM fronts corded on the inside edge....again.

I got passed by a turbo miata on slick's with a great driver. (Thats my only getting passed by a Miata story you will ever hear from me)

+1 I did the same and experienced the same. Those Michelin PS4s make the car feel right on the street.. but wrong choice for the track.

Miatas pass me no matter what tire I run
Homeless Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:41 PM   #16
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
Can you guys elaborate on why you don’t like mp4S on the track?

Like are you now a better driver than the tire allows and you need more?

Asking because i have a track day coming up and just switched to MP4S as i mostly just drive on the street.
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:26 PM   #17
NorthGeorgia

Drives: 2018 ZLE, 2023 C8, IMSA MX-5
Have run both G3R and MP4S on track (intermediate driver). Obviously the G3R offers superior grip but at sacrifice of life (fronts last less than 3 days). Ran the MP4S at Road Atlanta for grins and was pleasantly surprised. Very predictable, great feel and ran very consistent lap times (obviously slower but still top of run group). As expected MP4S exhibited much less wear and will definitely be my go to rain tire. Also for street driving, MP4S offers a better ride and grip out of the box with no need to warm up like G3R. In short, if you street more and track occasionally, MP4S will work great.
NorthGeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:27 AM   #18
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post

Asking because i have a track day coming up and just switched to MP4S as i mostly just drive on the street.
It’s not a track tire. It’s a street tire that works extremely well at everything. Lightweight, good in rain, good on dry conditions, and last a while.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:32 PM   #19
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post

MPS4S are not an R compound tire, therefore when you run them hard on the track and the rubber heats up to typical track temps it doesn't become super soft and gooey like the R comp GY F1 3R does (and other R comps like Hoosiers, R888R, etc). When the MPS4S gets that hot it starts to crumble vs. melt. It isn't designed to handle and perform at that level of heat.

When an R comp heats up and softens like this the rubber sticks to the hot track like glue, providing levels of grip in turns and on hard acceleration that you never get with a non R compound tire. Without this you can't pull the level of G forces you need for very fast lap times, and you wont maintain stability at high speed in turns (you will slide a lot).
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 02:14 PM   #20
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
MPS4S are not an R compound tire, therefore when you run them hard on the track and the rubber heats up to typical track temps it doesn't become super soft and gooey like the R comp GY F1 3R does (and other R comps like Hoosiers, R888R, etc). When the MPS4S gets that hot it starts to crumble vs. melt. It isn't designed to handle and perform at that level of heat.

When an R comp heats up and softens like this the rubber sticks to the hot track like glue, providing levels of grip in turns and on hard acceleration that you never get with a non R compound tire. Without this you can't pull the level of G forces you need for very fast lap times, and you wont maintain stability at high speed in turns (you will slide a lot).
thank you for the details. i will just have to be alert, highly doubt I'll be anywhere close to this level anytime soon. when i get there, time for a spare set of wheels
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:32 PM   #21
kcobra

Drives: 2018 ZL1
I decided to go to the dealership for the alignment since I figured they had experience with a ZL1 alignment. I am glad I did. They were very familiar with ZL1s and the alignments based on driving use. Given the car was only for street use they adjusted accordingly. The front alignment was way off (total tow before was .57inch vs. actual .06 inch). The rear needed a minor adjustment. Interestingly they had to re format the electric steering to ensure is was tracking perfectly. Never heard that before.

Quite frankly, I here all about not using dealerships for service, but quite frankly they were well equipped and experienced in handling this matter.

I am pleased. The car tracked much better on the highway with no tracking that I experienced previously. I decided to keep the stock tires for hopefully a few more thousand miles.

I appreciate everyone's commments
kcobra is offline   Reply With Quote