Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 08-20-2019, 09:57 PM   #29
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
Here's a pic of the oil pump without the front plate

Looks simple enuff, lots of locking keys for reliabilty. What is it that fails the spring???
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:34 AM   #30
easttxss

Drives: '16 2SS M6
Quote:
Here's a pic of the oil pump without the front plate

That is just a standard vane style hydraulic pump. It is used in industrial applications all over the world. I wonder why they switched from the gerotor style?
'14 Fusion Titanium 2.0T
'83 Jeep Wagoneer

Last edited by easttxss; 08-21-2019 at 09:55 AM.
easttxss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:39 AM   #31
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBusDriver View Post
I'm worried about this thing failing again once the PT warranty is out in 1.5 years.
id mention an extension on the powertrain warranty as damage could’ve occurred that will definitely cause premature (bearing) failure...without it being evident now.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:38 AM   #32
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by easttxss View Post
That is just a standard vane style hydraulic pump. It is used in industrial applications all over the world. I wonder why they switched from the gerotor style?
It's a variable displacement pump. It is supposed to consume less power at low speeds. Probably worth a good .001mpg lol!
While my pump has not given any problem, i would have replaced it with a standard gerotor pump when reassembling my motor if one was available. While the number of failures is in the noise range, it's still more common than with old school pumps
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:41 AM   #33
easttxss

Drives: '16 2SS M6
Quote:
It's a variable displacement pump. It is supposed to consume less power at low speeds. Probably worth a good .001mpg lol!
While my pump has not given any problem, i would have replaced it with a standard gerotor pump when reassembling my motor if one was available. While the number of failures is in the noise range, it's still more common than with old school pumps

I completely agree with you.
'14 Fusion Titanium 2.0T
'83 Jeep Wagoneer
easttxss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:58 PM   #34
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Hmmm, wish I could get a picture or something from the tech who pulled mine off to see what failed. I'd like to talk with him at least. If I do, I'll post about the findings.

I might assume those tabs that the 'gear' corresponds with could shear? Or maybe even round out the inner teeth that are very short. Who knows, we'll need some pics and descriptions of failures in the coming future.

I'm worried about this thing failing again once the PT warranty is out in 1.5 years.

Those "tabs" are the rotor vanes, the oil pump runs on an eccentric loop. Those tabs move back forth as the rotor moves thru the eccentric loop keep contact with the oil pump housing wall.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:43 PM   #35
TheBusDriver

Drives: 2016 2SS (M6)
Cool to know. Learning a lot on this thread.

Thank you guys.
TheBusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:39 AM   #36
overdriv

Drives: 1969 Chevelle SS 2019 2SS Camaro
That vane type pump looks very much like the front pump in modern automatic transmissions.
overdriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:36 PM   #37
TheBusDriver

Just got an update:

The TECHNICIAN called me directly to explain what happened.

-States that he opened a case with TAC (obviously). TAC denied engine replacement because they believe engine was not damaged.
-Found the oil pump had grenaded, but all shrapnel had been picked up by the oil filter, and very little if any in the pan (he did drop the pan, of course, to replace the pump).
-He says he hears no bad noises, and oil pressure remains higher than it previously was (he claims, though this could just be because he measured before the engine was hot).

Question:

What can I do to extend the warranty on my engine or the powertrain warranty to protect me in case there was damage/premature wear done that was not observed at this time?

Last edited by TheBusDriver; 08-22-2019 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:55 PM   #38
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Look into an extended warranty from GM.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:34 PM   #39
Dixie ZL1
NOXQCES ZL1

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Call Chevrolet Customer Care at 800.222.1020 and open a case. They extended my power train warranty by two years and 27K miles.

Quote:
Just got an update:

The TECHNICIAN called me directly to explain what happened.

-States that he opened a case with TAC (obviously). TAC denied engine replacement because they believe engine was not damaged.
-Found the oil pump had grenaded, but all shrapnel had been picked up by the oil filter, and very little if any in the pan (he did drop the pan, of course, to replace the pump).
-He says he hears no bad noises, and oil pressure remains higher than it previously was (he claims, though this could just because he measured before the engine was hot).

Question:

What can I do to extend the warranty on my engine or the powertrain warranty to protect me in case there was damage/premature wear done that was not observed at this time?
Dixie ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:20 PM   #40
TheBusDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie ZL1 View Post
Call Chevrolet Customer Care at 800.222.1020 and open a case. They extended my power train warranty by two years and 27K miles.
Thank you very much for this info. You bet I’ll be doing that.
Will I need to get the TAC case number they opened up?

This experience with my dealer has gone much better than I had originally expected. Haven’t got the car back yet, but the tech told me he wanted to keep it one more day to ensure everything was tight and looked good.
He also mentioned that he has yet to see an oil pump failure on an LT1 or LT4, which I thought was surprising.

I’ll post another update when I get the car back.

Thank you all for your input and information.
Old 08-23-2019, 06:30 PM   #41
TheBusDriver

Got her back today!

Oil pressure is sitting quite a bit higher than it did originally. When HOT (Oil temp 195F), I'm seeing about 31psi at idle. When crusing, seeing about 41/42psi. Engine actually sounds quieter than before.

Prior to the failure, I would see about 22psi at idle, and maybe 32psi when cruising. I suppose those low numbers should've been cause for alarm; they did seem a bit low to me. At least now I have an idea of what to look out for in the future.

Technician ended up replacing the oil pump, oil PAN (which had so much shrapnel/shavings in it that I guess they just decided to replace it), all other miscellaneous bolts, gaskets, seals, and a check valve, and of course I got a free oil change and coolant flush, which is a bonus.

I was expecting this experience to be much worse, but it was handled pretty well. I'm glad I was able to speak with the technician directly, he seemed very down to earth. Full turnaround time was 11 days.

I'm just glad to be back in a 2SS M6 and rid of that Malibu with a 1.5L and a CVT. Lol
Old 08-23-2019, 07:34 PM   #42
Dixie ZL1
NOXQCES ZL1

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Got her back today!

Oil pressure is sitting quite a bit higher than it did originally. When HOT (Oil temp 195F), I'm seeing about 31psi at idle. When crusing, seeing about 41/42psi. Engine actually sounds quieter than before.

Prior to the failure, I would see about 22psi at idle, and maybe 32psi when cruising. I suppose those low numbers should've been cause for alarm; they did seem a bit low to me. At least now I have an idea of what to look out for in the future.

Technician ended up replacing the oil pump, oil PAN (which had so much shrapnel/shavings in it that I guess they just decided to replace it), all other miscellaneous bolts, gaskets, seals, and a check valve, and of course I got a free oil change and coolant flush, which is a bonus.

I was expecting this experience to be much worse, but it was handled pretty well. I'm glad I was able to speak with the technician directly, he seemed very down to earth. Full turnaround time was 11 days.

I'm just glad to be back in a 2SS M6 and rid of that Malibu with a 1.5L and a CVT. Lol
Glad it worked out for you. Get the TAC number from your service advisor and be prepared to deal with a couple typical customer service folks when opening the case for an extended warranty. I was initially told it wasn't an option, but Chevrolet CC followed-up with me before I had a chance to escalate.
Dixie ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote