Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-12-2019, 04:41 PM   #15
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
No, the oil pump is not electric. It is mechanical. It is driven off of the front of the crankshaft.

Look at item #33 on this drawing: https://www.thatgmpartsguy.com/oem-p...bC12OC1nYXM%3D
Old 08-12-2019, 04:42 PM   #16
TheBusDriver

Drives: 2016 2SS (M6)
Mmmmmm.... No...
They've been using the same style mechanical oil pumps that run off the front of the crankshaft since the LS generations.

These can fail in a number of ways.

-Pressure relief is done mechanically with a plunger and spring surrounded by oil. If ANY piece of tiny shrapnel comes in contact with that plunger and the wall, the plunger will stick and oil will infinitely cycle through the pump, not the motor.

-The o-ring that seals the pickup tube to the pump can be inserted heinously at the factory, and cause a slight tear that gets worse over time. This will typically cause a gradual loss of oil pressure over time, potentially until the rip gives way completely and causes 0 psi of pressure.

-The center gears can grenade, that happens often too.

It's interesting that almost ALL reports state that oil pressure hits 0 while idling, not usually while driving.

Part no.: EP295
Attached Images

TheBusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:48 PM   #17
TheBusDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
No, the oil pump is not electric. It is mechanical. It is driven off of the front of the crankshaft.

Look at item #33 on this drawing: https://www.thatgmpartsguy.com/oem-p...bC12OC1nYXM%3D
Correct.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:50 PM   #18
SteveV

What really bugs me the most is that you cannot find an aftermarket oil pump for the LT1 or LT4 yet. The LT1 has been around since 2015 in the Vette. And Melling doesn't make one yet. What a bummer...

If my car was out of warranty, and the oil pump went, why the hell would I want to put another stock one back on? I'd want a higher quality aftermarket one.

Oh well...
Old 08-12-2019, 04:55 PM   #19
MaxxRPM

Drives: 2016 Camaro NFG 1SS A8
Quote:

Thanks.
…………...I knew there was something different about them compared to internal oil pumps. I didn't know Chevy was doing this all the way back on the LS1s...………...I've been out of Chevy a long time.
MaxxRPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:49 PM   #20
TheBusDriver

Quote:
What really bugs me the most is that you cannot find an aftermarket oil pump for the LT1 or LT4 yet. The LT1 has been around since 2015 in the Vette. And Melling doesn't make one yet. What a bummer...

If my car was out of warranty, and the oil pump went, why the hell would I want to put another stock one back on? I'd want a higher quality aftermarket one.

Oh well...
Yeah it is rather nuts that there STILL isn't a bulletproof aftermarket solution for this oil pump. It's on SO many engines, and it obviously isn't reliable.
I think part of the issue is that redesigning this pump with one that would bolt straight on would be very difficult; the design of this one is horrible and there's not much that can be done to fix all of the issues with it.

The first company to make a bulletproof oil pump (if ever) will be making money hand over fist.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:53 AM   #21
TheBusDriver

Update:

It's now been a week and all they've accomplished is an oil pressure test.

I still don't have a loaner car, either.

This is gonna be bumpy.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:03 AM   #22
SteveV

Dude that sucks. Best of luck. Hope it works out in the end.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:22 PM   #23
TheBusDriver

Update:

They were able to pull my car in yesterday (monday) and deducted that the oil pump had seized, but no shrapnel as far as I know? It was sort of unclear as the technician was gone already.

Apparently their current plan is to throw a new oil pump on and do another pressure test and listen for strange noises. If oil pressure is lower than it should be and/or there are any strange noises, they will tear the motor down.

Also, finally got a loaner car.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:44 PM   #24
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Just to show you how bad GM is about warranty I had a 2001 WS6 that the clutch started slipping in and I took it to the dealer and they denied it because I had lowered the car by 1.5 inches.
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:30 PM   #25
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Here's a pic of the oil pump without the front plate
Attached Images

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:58 PM   #26
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Hope they do right by you, OP!

What are you guys seeing for a "normal" oil pressure at idle?
Old 08-20-2019, 04:14 PM   #27
Rayvan
Rayvan

Drives: 2018 1SS1LE, Silver Ice Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
Here's a pic of the oil pump without the front plate
That looks very different than the LS pump I removed/replaced in my kids G8GT. It bolts up the same, but the drive was much simpler in the LS motors

Below is a pic of what I remember in the LS3 type pump. I wonder why they went away from this?

https://www.powernationtv.com/two-mi...an-ls-oil-pump

Last edited by Rayvan; 08-20-2019 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Added the pic
Rayvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:14 PM   #28
TheBusDriver

Hmmm, wish I could get a picture or something from the tech who pulled mine off to see what failed. I'd like to talk with him at least. If I do, I'll post about the findings.

I might assume those tabs that the 'gear' corresponds with could shear? Or maybe even round out the inner teeth that are very short. Who knows, we'll need some pics and descriptions of failures in the coming future.

I'm worried about this thing failing again once the PT warranty is out in 1.5 years.