Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-10-2019, 08:00 AM   #1
juggsauce

Drives: 17 2SS, 08 Tundra
Lazy Starting

Maybe it's just a GM small block thing but it really sounds like the starter is too small for the engine in my 6.2. Sounds very labored, like it doesn't get enough amps to really give that flex plate the business.

Other V8s I've had seem to crank with authority and quickness. It's got my wondering. Has anyone tried running parallel leads from the battery to the front to allow for more amps to reach the starter? It feels like that could be a bottleneck here. Or perhaps it's just the intended crank speed for the engineers?
juggsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:28 AM   #2
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
There have been a number of failed starters in the C6. If its under warranty get it chkd.

BTW the DI engines take about 3-4 seconds cranking to start cold....nature of the beast.

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 01:30 PM   #3
juggsauce

It's definitely not the time it spends cranking. It just always sounds like the starter can barely turn the motor. Like the battery is always half dead. (It's not though)
Old 08-11-2019, 05:15 PM   #4
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
My problem started with weak start, erratic voltage and then rough idle came in later. Then the lifters failed. It has been at the dealer for three weeks waiting on a national back order of head gaskets. Dealer service has not given me info on why they failed. Other builders have told me the OEM lifters are prone to fail.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:04 PM   #5
bowtie_thunder
Camaro Connoisseur

Drives: Red 2018 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS
I’ve actually noticed this on a cold start in sunny CA. It sounds like it struggles somewhat. I’ve heard many times that the starters on the 6th gens either overheat in hot weather or they don’t generate enough amps during cold weather.
bowtie_thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:09 PM   #6
juggsauce

Damn I was hoping it was just the battery being too far away. But damn bud those are a lot of seemingly unrelated failures.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:28 AM   #7
Cechk01

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
I had a bad ground wire that caused lazy starting
Cechk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:55 AM   #8
juggsauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cechk01 View Post
I had a bad ground wire that caused lazy starting
Which ground was it?
Old 08-12-2019, 08:42 AM   #9
bdavies11

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Yep, I had very lazy starting when the engine was hot and sometimes wouldn't crank at all until it cooled off. Turned out to be a bad negative from the battery. GM replaced it and it's been a night and day difference. Haven't had a problem since.
bdavies11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:48 AM   #10
Cechk01

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggsauce View Post
Which ground was it?
G103 to the Jump stud, big black heavy gauge wire.

The jump stud is right next to the fuse box in the engine bay and the other end is right next to the alternator on the engine block.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:15 PM   #11
ZKhan

Drives: 2024 RRT 2SS 1LE M6 PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggsauce View Post
Maybe it's just a GM small block thing but it really sounds like the starter is too small for the engine in my 6.2. Sounds very labored, like it doesn't get enough amps to really give that flex plate the business.

Other V8s I've had seem to crank with authority and quickness. It's got my wondering. Has anyone tried running parallel leads from the battery to the front to allow for more amps to reach the starter? It feels like that could be a bottleneck here. Or perhaps it's just the intended crank speed for the engineers?
Yes, I had lots of issues with the engine starting on my 2016 2SS A8. The first two years were fine but by year three the car would struggle to start. During the course of about six months I had went through three batteries and a new starter and the issue never got resolved to my satisfaction . I read a few other instances of forum members having issues with their car starting and having to get the starter replaced. I contacted GMC customer service but I ended up having a really bad experience with them. It got to the point where I almost bought a Mustang.

I ended up getting rid of my 2016 at the end of this past June. I have a 2020 1LE on order. Hopefully this car will not have the same issues since they’ve had five versions of the GEN six to figure out the issues.
ZKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:28 AM   #12
Cechk01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZKhan View Post
Yes, I had lots of issues with the engine starting on my 2016 2SS A8. The first two years were fine but by year three the car would struggle to start. During the course of about six months I had went through three batteries and a new starter and the issue never got resolved to my satisfaction . I read a few other instances of forum members having issues with their car starting and having to get the starter replaced. I contacted GMC customer service but I ended up having a really bad experience with them. It got to the point where I almost bought a Mustang.

I ended up getting rid of my 2016 at the end of this past June. I have a 2020 1LE on order. Hopefully this car will not have the same issues since they’ve had five versions of the GEN six to figure out the issues.
why would you buy the same thing again if you weren't originally satisfied?
I had a mustang and dropped that crap after it the AC failed three time, oil leaked on the headers making it smoke up and the halfshaft went bad. I would never buy a Ford again
Old 08-14-2019, 02:27 PM   #13
ZKhan

Drives: 2024 RRT 2SS 1LE M6 PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cechk01 View Post
why would you buy the same thing again if you weren't originally satisfied?
I had a mustang and dropped that crap after it the AC failed three time, oil leaked on the headers making it smoke up and the halfshaft went bad. I would never buy a Ford again
I loved the car for the first few years. And there are lots of people who are perfectly happy with their Camaro. Performance wise, it was exactly what I wanted.
ZKhan is offline   Reply With Quote