Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Phastek Performance

Old 08-03-2019, 08:35 AM   #1
Cheekster96

Drives: 2018 2SS Bright Red
bug splatter removal

Howdy gang.

I live in Northern Maine (The County) and the bugs are a plentiful up here. I still cringe taking the Camaro out knowing that it will be painted with bug guts.

I have put on a ceramic coating and used polish and an orbital, used Reload and keep it clean with Chemical Guys show shine spray.

What do you guys and gals do to remove the bug splatter without removing the underlying layers? I am not up to washing the car everytime because that gets old.

Is that spray shine sufficient you think to use by itself as long as I keep the area wet with it and use a clean microfiber cloth?

I would think a bug/tar remover spray would remove the under layers?

Thoughts?

Thanks everyone. Have a great weekend!

Lee
2022 Silverado 2500HD Big Red
Cheekster96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 11:33 AM   #2
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
PoorBoy's World Bug Squash. Diluted 1:10 for paint. Use full strength to dissolve bugs in the radiator fins.

Last edited by KirkH; 08-03-2019 at 01:13 PM.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 11:53 AM   #3
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover. Set to stream, squeeze very lightly to put a small dollop on each bug. Wait 2 mins. Wipe clean. The solvents in it will not hurt your finish, but do a very good job of softening hard bug parts so they don't scratch.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Turtle-Wa...hoCQuwQAvD_BwE
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 01:39 PM   #4
kaamacat

Drives: 2018 ZL1/1LE Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheekster96 View Post
Howdy gang.

I live in Northern Maine (The County) and the bugs are a plentiful up here. I still cringe taking the Camaro out knowing that it will be painted with bug guts.

I have put on a ceramic coating and used polish and an orbital, used Reload and keep it clean with Chemical Guys show shine spray.

What do you guys and gals do to remove the bug splatter without removing the underlying layers? I am not up to washing the car everytime because that gets old.

Is that spray shine sufficient you think to use by itself as long as I keep the area wet with it and use a clean microfiber cloth?

I would think a bug/tar remover spray would remove the under layers?

Thoughts?

Thanks everyone. Have a great weekend!

Lee

If I am out and get a few on the front, I either will take out the Wagner steamer -or- get a microfiber and soak it in the hottest water possible, wring most of it out then set on the bug area. The water/heat seem to break-up a majority of the mess and if you've got a good coating under it... typically it wipes totally off. (Point here being I try to avoid using any sprays, cleaners and such)

2018 ZL1 1LE (Red) - New Dec 2017
2015 ViperGT (Gunmetal w/Red stripes)
2013 ZR1 Anniversary
2014 ZL1 - BrightYellow, 6sp
2011 Porsche GT3RS - White w/red graphics
2009 Porsche C2S
2001 Ferrari 360
kaamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 01:52 PM   #5
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Actually there’s a lot of ideas here they’re all good, I use a combination of things above. No matter what you do you can’t get bugs out of a grill without melting them, and that’s why bug squash works very well then hit with a force of water.

for the paint when it’s really bad like fla love bugs, I get 2 hand towels soaked In the hottest water that I can stand, and lay them on the paint. Your paint sealants are intact and the bugs come off easily. However, this heat will screw with wax, another reason I never use it. Either coating or sealants for me.

Just remember: never scrub the paint with anything…

Last edited by Glen e; 08-03-2019 at 02:03 PM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 02:52 PM   #6
Cheekster96

Drives: 2018 2SS Bright Red
Thanks all for the ideas.
I ended up getting a clay bar and detailer spray and went real easy with that. Took care of the bug problem and did not see any residue afterwards. Followed up with the shine spray and looks good again.
2022 Silverado 2500HD Big Red
Cheekster96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 03:34 PM   #7
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheekster96 View Post
Thanks all for the ideas.
I ended up getting a clay bar and detailer spray and went real easy with that. Took care of the bug problem and did not see any residue afterwards. Followed up with the shine spray and looks good again.
You probably need to reapply the ceramic on the area that you clay barred.

Clay is an abrasive. It will remove ceramic and it will cause marring. I always follow a clay bar with a machine polishing.

That being said...there are new clay bars that claim to be very light and not mar or remove ceramic coating. But I haven't tested it.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:07 PM   #8
overdriv

Drives: 1969 Chevelle SS 2019 2SS Camaro
I have a bottle sprayer that fill with water, then about 5-10 drops of Dawn dish washing soap.

I spray the bugs liberally and let it set for a few minutes. Spray them down again, then wipe them off with a MF rag.

I always follow up with detail wax or Mothers spray Wash n Wax.

Works great, never have to scrub a bug, just wipe off.

At a car show I just use Mothers Wash n Wax on what few bugs I get.
overdriv is offline   Reply With Quote