Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-29-2019, 06:07 PM   #1
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Fitting ZL1 exhaust

I've been researching and got a few questions I hope someone can assist me on.

I received a ZL1 exhaust off a '19 ZL1, full catback with one point cut off which I intend to get welded back on (exact shown below).

Name:  IMG_6824.jpg
Views: 1072
Size:  175.8 KB

I took a look underneath the car and noticed the differences between mine and the ZL1. Mainly the ZL1 was a manual and doesn't have the AFM valves that mine does and there's a portion near the cats that is a different design from the v6 that the SS and above have. I'm pretty sure it'll fit fine but am concerned whether there'll be issues without the AFM valves, I don't see any way that they could be monitored as there are no plugs after that point but I'm not sure.

Regarding the NPP functionality, I do intend on just running it as if Fuse 51 was pulled and it to be open all the time.

I don't think there'll be a huge sound increase but I mainly am doing this for the quad-tip look and very slight sound increase.

Last edited by Bumbleboy92; 06-29-2019 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Coherence
Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:35 AM   #2
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
It might be easier to cut the suitcase muffler off the ZL1 system and have a muffler shop weld it in to your system on your V6 Camaro instead of trying to fit the ZL1 system to your car. The pipe size is bigger and I would think the head pipe bends and connections are different than your system and I’m sure that you would throw a cel with your AFM not plugged in. A good muffler shop could give you advice and info on what you are wanting to do I would think!
Old 06-30-2019, 02:30 PM   #3
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
It might be easier to cut the suitcase muffler off the ZL1 system and have a muffler shop weld it in to your system on your V6 Camaro instead of trying to fit the ZL1 system to your car. The pipe size is bigger and I would think the head pipe bends and connections are different than your system and I’m sure that you would throw a cel with your AFM not plugged in. A good muffler shop could give you advice and info on what you are wanting to do I would think!
Agreed with this suggestion. Disconnecting the AFM valves will throw a CEL. If you want to get rid of the AFM valves without a CEL then unbolt the actuator from the metal valve, leave it connected to the wire harness, and securely tie it up out of the way under the car. If you don't like the sound of the exhaust without the AFM valve when running in V4 mode then you'll have to tune it out or look at something like a Range AFM.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 03:21 PM   #4
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
Agreed with this suggestion. Disconnecting the AFM valves will throw a CEL. If you want to get rid of the AFM valves without a CEL then unbolt the actuator from the metal valve, leave it connected to the wire harness, and securely tie it up out of the way under the car. If you don't like the sound of the exhaust without the AFM valve when running in V4 mode then you'll have to tune it out or look at something like a Range AFM.
That's what I thought at first, but looking at it the AFM valve on mine isn't the same as the ones I see on others. The normal one I usually see is the same actuators that control NPP but mine looks like this:

No actuator is connected, I can only see this spring valve with no wires to it.
Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:30 PM   #5
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
I didn’t realize that the valves were different on the V6. Agreed that they don’t seem to be monitored electronically.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compatibility, exhaust, fitment, retrofit, zl1