Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-25-2019, 01:18 PM   #1
NICKEL1810

Drives: 2017 ZL1 with Lingenfelter 720hp
Supercharger/Procharger

I have a 2017 2SS Camaro completely bone stock with A8 automatic. I am going to be purchasing some type of supercharger or procharger here soon. I am not wanting to race this car every weekend. Just want to add more power and have good drivability. I wanted to get feedback on what type is the easiest on the motor, has good drivability, and FAIRLY EASY TO INSTALL (since I will be installing it myself). Also, anything that would come with a tune as well to where I wouldn't have to get a dyno tune, since my car is stock. I appreciate any feedback.
NICKEL1810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:43 PM   #2
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
The Procharger is easy to install, never did a PD or LT4 conversion. I would steer you away from the can tune, there are many email tuners and as long as you go ahead with a wideband and a HP Tuner, you would be all set. You are really leaving a LOT on the table with a can tune.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:06 PM   #3
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Hope you consider the 2300 Magnuson Heartbeat. Its about a 8-12 hour install depending on your mechanical skills. You should see about 550 rwhp and about 560 rwtq on 93 octane. We do offer a warranty with our superchargers if you leave it stock. Most people can't but its an option.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:51 PM   #4
hitmix300
2016 loaded 2SS

Drives: Maverick X3 Turbo R
I would recommend the procharger to you. Their superchargers are very reliable and often can be had for cheaper than the competitors. The procharger installation also doesn't require any cutting of plastic/foam, harness zip ties or modifying of any stock parts. the installation is far less time consuming vs roots style blowers.

If you are not interested in installing your decided supercharger yourself, I would be willing to lend a hand if you bring it up to my shop. Would only take the weekend.

best of luck with your choice; it can be hard sometimes haha
hitmix300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:55 PM   #5
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Procharger or ECS is the easiest to install and is the route I would go for a DIY install. I normally do my own work but chose to have my Whipple professionally installed because they are more labor intensive.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 08:15 PM   #6
Jfmoore79

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red 2SS A8
I agree that the Procharger is a fairly straight forward install. The LT4 fueling upgrades were more involved and took about the same amount of time as the supercharger did. Their install manual is very helpful but I believe all the PD manufactures are as well.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:51 PM   #7
Drsagacity

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Nightfall Gray vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKEL1810 View Post
I have a 2017 2SS Camaro completely bone stock with A8 automatic. I am going to be purchasing some type of supercharger or procharger here soon. I am not wanting to race this car every weekend. Just want to add more power and have good drivability. I wanted to get feedback on what type is the easiest on the motor, has good drivability, and FAIRLY EASY TO INSTALL (since I will be installing it myself). Also, anything that would come with a tune as well to where I wouldn't have to get a dyno tune, since my car is stock. I appreciate any feedback.
Congrats and welcome to the dark side. Soon your car will be a beast.

My two cents would be to figure out if you are going to use a canned tune or if you are going to go the custom route. If you are planning to just go with a canned tune, the Maggie is a great choice because, like Laynlo said, you can keep a full warranty. The standard tune from Maggie will be pretty darn good. For sure it will be killer on the steet until you end up going a little crazy and adding more stuff (happens to everyone once you feel the massive difference). I am biased to Maggie because of the great experience I have had...

Trying to be more unbiased:

If you are gonna add some additional items, which almost everyone does, then I would say pick a tuner, talk to him about what you want to accomplish and follow his advice. At the end, each tuner probably has their preferences and they have great experience/expertise and as a result they are probably best positioned to help you out. I am a big fan of Jannetty Racing (as I lose my impartial opinion)...

Good luck. Look forward to great results.

2018 Corvette Z06 vert- Black
To be tuned by JRE Racing
TBD performance
Drsagacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 06:09 AM   #8
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
I myself was going back and forth on a centrifugal vs PD. I do think the centrifugal is the better way to go in the way it outputs power (mid range on up), but myself could not spend my money on the Procharger kit because of the pulley drive system. I was just not confident the adapter that pinches the crank pulley as a solid solution.

After months of research I went down the road of the East Coast Superchargers kit. This is a kit basically built by Vortech, however it is specified with a Paxton Novi 1500SL head unit vs the Vortech Si head unit. With the location of the S/C and the rotation of the S/C, it limits which head units work, and the Vortech choices are the Si (pretty limited in potential) or the Ti unit which is almost overkill.

The Paxton units are made by Vortech now, but the Novi is a pretty capable unit on the LT1 with capability of 900hp.

The upswing is the design of the kit. Rather than drive from the crank, it utilizes the stock 6-rib accessory drive, however it runs off of a jackshaft then uses a cogged belt from the j/s to the head unit. ECS says this design has enough belt friction to up to 14lbs of boost (max output) with no issues.

The kit is extremely well built and it is a very solid mount. Plus, which amazes me, is that the noise is minimal. With the hood down, you can't really tell its not a stock car.

The way Vortech does things is they don't make a "low cost kit" with options, they just have a "Stage II" equivalent design out of the gate. very large intercooler, all alum charge pipes, billet BOV, etc... is all standard. You can run 500hp up to 900hp with changing nothing but pulleys (a 5 minute job), no worry about limitations other than do you have enough fuel pump / injectors.

Cost is close to the P/C Stg II setup.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:45 AM   #9
Jfmoore79

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drsagacity View Post
Congrats and welcome to the dark side. Soon your car will be a beast.

My two cents would be to figure out if you are going to use a canned tune or if you are going to go the custom route. If you are planning to just go with a canned tune, the Maggie is a great choice because, like Laynlo said, you can keep a full warranty. The standard tune from Maggie will be pretty darn good. For sure it will be killer on the steet until you end up going a little crazy and adding more stuff (happens to everyone once you feel the massive difference). I am biased to Maggie because of the great experience I have had...

Trying to be more unbiased:

If you are gonna add some additional items, which almost everyone does, then I would say pick a tuner, talk to him about what you want to accomplish and follow his advice. At the end, each tuner probably has their preferences and they have great experience/expertise and as a result they are probably best positioned to help you out. I am a big fan of Jannetty Racing (as I lose my impartial opinion)...

Good luck. Look forward to great results.
I would highly recommend you talking to Ted at Jannetty Racing. He answered all my questions, even the dumb ones, and the remote tuning process was seamless. Regardless of centrifugal or PD, JRE is the place to go.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:55 AM   #10
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkMissile View Post
I myself was going back and forth on a centrifugal vs PD. I do think the centrifugal is the better way to go in the way it outputs power (mid range on up), but myself could not spend my money on the Procharger kit because of the pulley drive system. I was just not confident the adapter that pinches the crank pulley as a solid solution.
Just wanted to take a second and maybe find out if you misunderstood how the crank pulley attaches because the kit comes with a new crank bolt. The pulley seats inside the stock pulley and in addition to being bolted down with 240ftlbs of torque there are also these pretty ingenious bits of hardware cams that lock in around the spokes of the stock pulley that would go even further at preventing the inner pulley from ever spinning.

This lower pulley isn't going anywhere!.

Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:18 AM   #11
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
If I went with a centri supercharger, I’d also lean on ECS over ProCharger. Mostly because of the cog pulley and as I understand it, it is less intrusive. Meaning, nothing gets removed from the car to make it work. I’ve heard from some 1LE guys that some items needed to be removed to work.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 03:47 PM   #12
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
Just wanted to take a second and maybe find out if you misunderstood how the crank pulley attaches because the kit comes with a new crank bolt. The pulley seats inside the stock pulley and in addition to being bolted down with 240ftlbs of torque there are also these pretty ingenious bits of hardware cams that lock in around the spokes of the stock pulley that would go even further at preventing the inner pulley from ever spinning.

This lower pulley isn't going anywhere!.
Thanks Dysan - I looked at the PC setup long and hard. Saw the pics of the pulley and the install manual, and I just wasn't convinced. It might not come off, but that pulley is only guided by what, 1/8" of a pilot? Im not putting the product down or anything, but I am a machinist by trade and the pulley setup looks like a afterthought. That and it runs a pretty long belt that doesn't have a lot of pulley surface area.

I made the call on what I thought was best for me.

Now after working with the ECS kit - I think it is a good design, but the logistics of working thru ECS / Vortech isn't the smoothest. I filled out all the information on the engine, mods, etc... they asked for. I ended up with the wrong pulley on the jackshaft and no pulley for the head unit. And a bunch of fingerpointing on who's fault it was. Getting the pulley off the jackshaft was a bear (a ton of red loc-tite on the bolt and down the key way).

I got the head unit about a week after my order from ECS, but 3 weeks later still nothing else. Contacting ECS was just a bunch of "we will check and call/email you back" with no response. You can never get the people with the answers on the phone. Call Vortech and they will tell you to call ECS.

The install instructions are all from Vortech - no accommodations for the Paxton blower, so you are left to figure some things out (things like how to plumb the PCV to the air filter, how to mount the air filter, how to set the BOV, etc....). To this day I was supposed to get a start tune, but never got a response from anyone and just ended up getting a email tune from my tuner.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:00 PM   #13
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
I like the ECS's air induction. I thought the cog system still uses a belt lower down?
My D1X has had no belt slip issue and I'm working to max out all my new Lingenfelter stuff, so it has to be working...
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:48 PM   #14
BlueCamaro6

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS, Hyper Blue
I did the LT4 conversion on my 2018 2SS and it has worked out great. Stock looking, great power, and has been extremely reliable. 15k miles on the conversion and not one issue. Spent alot of time tuning it, which might be why it's so reliable. Then again, others with the conversion don't post about problems.

2016 2SS, A8, NAV, NPP, MRC, Sunroof, Hyperblue (GM buyback)

1999 Trans Am Firehawk, M6, headers, no-cats, slp exhaust, hot cam, intake, 3:73 gears. Red/Blk
BlueCamaro6 is offline   Reply With Quote