Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM   #3165
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
Ford typically keeps Mustang gens around about 10 years +/-. Given the current gen debuted in 2015, it could simply be a little premature to be printing information about the next gen given how early it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
GM can do the same with the 6th gen...it's younger by a year than the S550 anyway.
It is early to be printing information on either vehicle beyond ‘21, but there are still some sources of credible information. Mustang was originally on path for a major upgrade for ‘21 MY, Camaro for ‘22. Best information currently available (to me at least...someone else may have better) is that neither major upgrade is happening. Despite the ridiculous performance gains that we as consumers are seeing year over year, the sales market for these types of vehicles is dropping fast, causing manufacturers to rethink investment. The only thing that is different between GM’s position with Camaro and Ford’s position with Mustang is the duration of their “we’ll figure out what’s next” period.

Ford has said S550 will be refreshed in the ‘21 - ‘22 timeframe and decisions made on next gen sometime around ‘26. GM has officially said zip, but the one widely quoted source claims information stating the ‘20 refresh will carry through until ‘23. Information I have personally seen indicates A1BC (the official project code for Cam6) will continue at least through ‘23. This particular information source does not give a definitive view beyond ‘23 for any vehicle due to the nature of the info.

Actually, there is another difference. Ford has already committed to hybrid and EV versions of Mustang. GM is still sticking to the “not at liberty to discuss future programs” mantra.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties |Novistretch bra and mirror covers |Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM   #3166
Evansa22

Drives: HBM ZLE
Quote:
I don't disagree with the C8 Z06 sentiment. That's going to be a beast. I very much doubt the base C8 will beat the GT500 to 60 by nearly a half second. Base C8 will likely be in the low 3s, assuming the Z51 is "under 3", which we know means 2.99 seconds (sort of like "under $60k" meant $59,995 and only for the '20 model year). Most likely the GT500 will be in the low 3s on stock tires, and not under 3 due to traction limits with a FE RWD car. The ZL1 is 3.4 seconds 0-60, which we know the GT500 will beat. So most likely 3.2 seconds 0-60, but after 60, vs a C8, it will be all GT500 due to the immense power advantage.

GT500 vs RE will be interesting...the two cars have essentially the same power to weight ratio (GT500 may be a hair better).
Iirc, according to ford when info was released, they claim 0-60 in 3.5 seconds. I could be wrong but that's the same as the zl1 according to chevy. 1/4 mile may be a different story but that's yet to be determined
Evansa22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:58 AM   #3167
newmoon

Drives: 2013 Boss 302 RR
Quote:
Not true. Someone who makes "good" money can't afford a Huracan/720S/911 Turbo S/GT3/GT2/Ferrari 488/812 Superfast/loaded ZR1, etc. But someone who makes good money can possibly afford a GT500/Hellcat/ZL1. (The Huracan Performante is my "dream" car, btw) When in automotive history could you buy a car with 760 factory hp for $74k (or the RE for similar price)? Never. With the Hellcat, when it came out, when before that could you buy a car with over 700 hp for whatever it cost when it came out? Before the 13/14 GT500, when could you buy a car with 662 hp for that price? They aren't necessarily "cheap" or low prices, but on a dollars per hp, they are a bargain compared to anytime in history. Heck, even the Corvette never had more than 650 hp until the ZR1 this year (but it starts at like $125k). The fact someone can get a base Z06 that screams in a straight line and around a track for $81k is great.

You keep talking about markups (which do suck). But, a product is worth what someone will pay for it, not necessarily what the manufacturer sets the price at. If people will pay a $10k markup, then the car is worth that much regardless if it will be outperformed on a track or drag strip (i.e., ZLE vs GT350R). I don't necessarily like it, but that's our economy. Obviously, there are other important items other than all out 'ring times.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wasn't the 1 trick pony Z28 over 75k with only 505 hp 5 years ago? If I recall there were dealer markups above that. Now you have a GT500 with 760 hp which will destroy a Z28 badly in any venue of racing and it is a fail? Isn't the ZL1-1LE package nearly 73k, the 500 will destroy this car in any trim in any straight line venue and will likely be much more day to day livable while doing so.

The ZL1 pricing has spoiled us as it was and is a bang for the buck. Yes 73k is a big chunk of change and dealer markups will be a problem but if you can find one for msrp it will be a hell of a car for the money. Patience on purchase will be the key. Think about it this way hell a loaded up SS or GT can reach 55k, a 1-trick RedEye WB in 79k, a 4x4 diesel pickup is now in the 75-85k price range. If I had the coin to blow I would have a base with the handling package in my garage right next to my Boss. Maybe in a few years
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:02 AM   #3168
Evansa22

Drives: HBM ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wasn't the 1 trick pony Z28 over 75k with only 505 hp 5 years ago? If I recall there were dealer markups above that. Now you have a GT500 with 760 hp which will destroy a Z28 badly in any venue of racing and it is a fail? Isn't the ZL1-1LE package nearly 73k, the 500 will destroy this car in any trim in any straight line venue and will likely be much more day to day livable while doing so.
Like you said, that was 5 years ago by the time the gt500 lands. In todays automotive environment that is a long time, at least to me anyways. Also to note, msrp for the zle is 71-73k. However, people are getting them 6-8k off msrp, including me. 65k before ttl. With the 500 being a limited production (at least that's what I thought I read) as well as fords adm, you're not getting one for msrp. Probably lucky if you can get one for 10k above.
Evansa22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:17 AM   #3169
BlaqWhole

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
You're delusional if you think someone could just "slip into" a Z06 for a "little more" than an SS. The Z06 starts at $81k. SS starts at $39k.
I'm talking about used Z06s.
Quote:

Wasn't the one trick pony GT350R selling for like well over $70K for a stripped down example after markups with only 526HP and got it's ass kicked by the $63K ZL1 like yesterday??

2017 Challenger Hellcat M6 - Legmaker CAI - MM ported TB - Sprint Booster!!

2012 BMW X5 50i!!

Saving the world...1 hp at a time!!
BlaqWhole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:20 AM   #3170
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
Quote:

The ZL1 pricing has spoiled us as it was and is a bang for the buck. Yes 73k is a big chunk of change and dealer markups will be a problem but if you can find one for msrp it will be a hell of a car for the money. Patience on purchase will be the key. Think about it this way hell a loaded up SS or GT can reach 55k, a 1-trick RedEye WB in 79k, a 4x4 diesel pickup is now in the 75-85k price range. If I had the coin to blow I would have a base with the handling package in my garage right next to my Boss. Maybe in a few years
I agree with the bang for buck, but ya can’t really use the ZLE MSRP as many don’t pay that. The 350s have just began being under MSRP and the R at sticker is still rare. I paid 67.5k for a brand new ZLE and 60k for my turd 350...for that small of a difference i feel like, as you mentioned, bang for the buck with this car is a homerun.

The 500 still seems like a ridiculous price to me, knowing what i got into mine for. I have always been a mustang guy, but the way they released only photos of the CFTP(unobtainium) cars and nothing for us peasants, along with a breeding ground for crazy ADMs...no thanks. And just wow at the puzzle pieces HP release.

They finally gave us some base model pics in the last couple months and damnnn does that car looks BASE. Love the ecoboost wheels for 74k lol. I understand one can fix that(by throwing more money at it), it’s just disappointing.
jvandy50 is online now   Reply With Quote