Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-14-2019, 06:59 AM   #1
Firecaptain

Drives: '22 Summit White ZL1 A10
Warranty Start - Learned Something New

2019 ZL1 purchased last week. PDI was done 10 months ago....so that's when the warranty start date is.....always thought it was when first placed into service at time of sale. So I basically lost 10 months or warranty....sigh
Firecaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:50 AM   #2
19SW1LE

Drives: 2018 LT 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firecaptain View Post
2019 ZL1 purchased last week. PDI was done 10 months ago....so that's when the warranty start date is.....always thought it was when first placed into service at time of sale. So I basically lost 10 months or warranty....sigh
Not if you bought it brand new.
19SW1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:37 AM   #3
Move'n Up

Drives: 17 Z06/Z07, 17 2SS Fifty, Ram 2500
Did you buy it new? Warranty starts the day the vehicle is sold and put into service. I'd contact GM about your issue right away. Send them a copy of your sales sheet from the dealer.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:08 PM   #4
Firecaptain

BRAND NEW......and NOPE.......clock starts when the PDI is done.....filed formal complaint with GM......had case number.......
Old 08-14-2019, 04:09 PM   #5
aronSlusa

Drives: '16 2SS
Did the dealership have a clean and untitled MSO? Did they ever punch the vehicle so they could hit a number, and you got a bit of a deal on the vehicle that seemed almost too good?
If so, that warranty start date could be correct.
By us, for Ford and CDJR.... Warranty start date is the date the vehicle is put into service (customer sale / lease, put into loaner) and stated on the contract.

If you signed a bill of sale stating the start date is that 10-mo prior, you could have a difficult time.
aronSlusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:28 PM   #6
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
So... something like this happened to me. My date was over 4 months off. I was p*ssed! This thread covers what happened to me and others: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...light=warranty

tl;dr: eventually the dates and miles were corrected on the Chevrolet site to reflect my purchase date and the miles on the car when I got it.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:37 PM   #7
Firecaptain

aron and Emoto......yup.....I got wacked.......10 months.....dealer is 100 miles from me, everyone has gone ghost on me.....LOVE LOVE LOVE the car, and a lawyer is gonna cost me 5 grand probably......so here I sit.....more pissed I didn't catch that.....cause I have had the VIN run on used cars to see when the warranty start was......thanks for pointing out what happened and how it's not uncommon.....
Old 08-14-2019, 05:45 PM   #8
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
aron and Emoto......yup.....I got wacked.......10 months.....dealer is 100 miles from me, everyone has gone ghost on me.....LOVE LOVE LOVE the car, and a lawyer is gonna cost me 5 grand probably......so here I sit.....more pissed I didn't catch that.....cause I have had the VIN run on used cars to see when the warranty start was......thanks for pointing out what happened and how it's not uncommon.....
This is August 14th, 2019. What was the date on the dealership paperwork of the sale?
Old 08-14-2019, 07:25 PM   #9
aronSlusa

Drives: '16 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
This is August 14th, 2019. What was the date on the dealership paperwork of the sale?
Depending on states... date of the sale doesn't matter if the car was punched to hit an objective and they sat on it. Run a car fax.... see when the vehicle was first titled and put in service. That date is the start of the 3/36k and 5/60k.
Where you'll have some ground to stand on, at least how it is here, is what the date of the manufacturer warranty states on the bill of sale. Sometimes the guy in the business office makes a mistake.

Otherwise, if it wasn't disclosed to you at time of sale... GM may have a heart in helping but..... they are..... well GM.
aronSlusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 02:39 AM   #10
TEST DRyVer

Drives: 17 ZL1 6mt with PDR
Here goes: I work for Porsche. I've been a car guy since I was a kid, but I've only been involved in the automotive industry for about 4 years. I had 2 years at a high volume Audi store (essentially a prerequisite in order to work in exotic or ultra highline store). I average about 13 months of car ownership before moving on to my next car. I've been doing that for several years, so I've owned numerous performance cars in my lifetime (the only non performance car I owned was a leased Honda Civic when I was in my early 20's because I was cutting costs to start a business). I'm not in the financial league of several guys and gals in this forum that have owned exotics. All my performance cars were cars that I could afford in my financial lane (M3's, various Beemers, CTS-V, STi, S2000, Golf R, Cayman, S4, etc...).
The warranty clock on your car starts ticking when you sign for your brand new car in the financing office! This has nothing to do what State you live in, within the US (I can't speak for non-US purchases). This is the way EVERY brand I know of, does so in the US! The PDI is irrelevant to the warranty, at least not the mechanical or electronic portion of the factory warranty (I'm not 100% sure of the corrosion or car body portion of the warranty, but I imagine it's the same).
If you buy a brand new car from a dealership (even if it sat on the dealership lot for 2 years), and the car was never registered or used as a demo vehicle or loaner car, the warranty definitely starts when you sign to purchase the car. This is not even negotiable. The only way they can State the warranty started on your brand new car before your purchase is if that dealership "punched" the car prior to you buying it (which means the dealership placed the car in loaner status or demo status). If the car was "punched" prior to your purchase, the warranty would start the day the car was punched. Dealerships punch a car prior to a real sale sometimes in order to increase their sales figures to achieve a bonus or something that would benefit them.
To clarify: If you went to a dealership right now and saw they had a 2018 SS that was brand new (never punched, registered, used for a loaner car, or used as a demo vehicle), and the car was on their lot for 468 days, and you decided to buy that car, the warranty will begin the day you officially buy the car. In some circumstances, the car is ready for its first oil change before you even take possession of the car. If someone is telling you anything different than what I've stated, they're either mistaken or I'm dumber than I already think I am... ��

Esthetics: Nardo Grey wrap with original black accents throughout, complete Xpel ceramic coat, Diode Dynamics markers, Smoked GM tail & 3rd brake light, C7 Carbon 1LE style Spoiler in blk, ACS splash guards, blk'd out emblems. Variant Krypton wheels in Gloss black.

Performance: AWE Touring catback exhaust with resonator, Rotofab dry intake, TM throttle body, Kooks 1 7/8 Headers with Green Cats, Advanced Fuel Dynamics Flex Fuel kit with e50 blend and dyno tuned.

Current Family car (for the wifey): 2021 Audi SQ5
TEST DRyVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:08 AM   #11
Emoto
Sure, why not?

FWIW, I heard from FireCaptain the other day, and they updated his warranty date as we had all hoped for, so he's all set. It just took a little time.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:14 AM   #12
Bluecyclone

Drives: 2014 Cyclone mustang
Oh well, my GT just turned the clock, 59,007 miles at 36 months.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:18 AM   #13
Firecaptain

All is good......patience is a virtue......little over 3 weeks......finally updated on the Chevrolet website....warranty clock reset to date of sale......Thanks for all of the moral support!