Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 07-25-2019, 02:10 PM   #1
GreatWhiteLT

Drives: 2016 Silver Ice Metallic SS
Correction some scratches

Long Story short over this past winter had a couple brats come to my car and clean snow off with shovels and gloves scratching the hell out of my paint, I have Meguiar's correction compound but it''s not getting all of it out. I am going to be getting the ultra cut compound because I think it should do the trick. My question is, should I get their DA polishing foam pad or use one of the microfiber cutting pads I have? Thanks again for the help!
GreatWhiteLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:43 PM   #2
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
I generally say use what you have first.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 04:01 PM   #3
GreatWhiteLT

Thank you sir, I am hoping with the ultra cut it will be able to get into the scratches a little bit more
Old 07-26-2019, 08:54 AM   #4
zts1986
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT 2.0T
This is the stuff of nightmares. I live in Buffalo, NY and my last car was brutally scratched this way by people just trying to be friendly and help. Luckily, it was "just" a Chevy Cruze but it was my Cruze and it killed me.
zts1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:23 AM   #5
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
The scratches can be removed with compound if their depth is so you cannot feel them with your fingernail.

Most modern Camaro's have around 180-200 microns of total paint, with around 60 microns of clear coat. This is about as thick as a cigarette cellophane wrapper.

Most all of the UV protection that is in the clear coat is in the first 20% of it. So removing more than this makes your clear coat more susceptible to clear coat failure from UV exposure.

I haven't used Megs most aggressive foam cutting pads, but their DMC Extra Cut microfiber pad cuts faster than all of the foam pads I have, with only the Carpro Flash pad being close to it's cutting ability.

Most "normal" swirls and scratches are 2-3 microns deep into the clear, with others being up to 6 microns deep.

Paint that is really "jacked up" requires a compound with greater cutting ability, not that one with lower cutting ability won't get defects out, it will just take more passes.

I have tried all the Megs compounds, except the 110, which is new. For fast cutting of heavy defects with a DA polisher, Shine Supply Flat Top cuts the fastest of all of them I have used.

Carpro has a newer compound called "Clear Cut", which is able to remove up to 1000 grit wet sanding marks, and would be another good option.

Whenever your doing heavy correction, I'd recommend using a paint thickness gauge.

The one thing you have going for you is the base color of your car. Scratches in clear on a silver, or lighter colored car will not be as visible as they would on a black, or darker colored car.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 10:01 AM   #6
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Clearcut is my go to for any scratches that I cannot polish out, good stuff!

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:22 PM   #7
GreatWhiteLT

Yeah zts1986, we had some issues with neighbors with my '13 camaro so long story short we installed some security cameras, and low and behold i left early from work and did not take my '16 that day. Take a shower and look outside and the car is completely cleared, so i checked the cameras and boom, 3 children who i know were just trying to help, but at some points they were trying the door handles and one even wrapped their dogs leash around my spoiler and the dog took off and jerked the spoiler pretty bad (about 60 lb Labrador full sprint). Thankfully the spoiler didn't break or scratch but I do know that one scratch in the trunk is deep enough that it can't be corrected thanks to the metal shovel tip. I will definitely look into the products you fella's have recommended and let you know the results! I'll have time this weekend to hopefully get rid of most of it or maybe even all of it!