Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 04-28-2018, 07:02 AM   #99
red_johnny

Drives: 2016 Gray 2SS M6
Just ordered what the OP stated to use. Going to see if I can make this work. Got the 25 pack of resistors so if I do have to add more I will have them available.
red_johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:07 PM   #100
NerdChop

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro LS
My backup camera stays on all of the time after this mod.

I am using these lights and these resistors.

https://www.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-Ext...7H2HHAWGS7SAZ8

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0185...mob_b_pd_title

I put 1 resistor on each LED for a total of 2 resistors. My reverse led lights only come on in reverse. They do not light dimly at all when im not in reverse. However my backup camera is always on my infotainment screen. How do i fix this?
NerdChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 04:31 AM   #101
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdChop View Post
My backup camera stays on all of the time after this mod.

I am using these lights and these resistors.

https://www.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-Ext...7H2HHAWGS7SAZ8

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0185...mob_b_pd_title

I put 1 resistor on each LED for a total of 2 resistors. My reverse led lights only come on in reverse. They do not light dimly at all when im not in reverse. However my backup camera is always on my infotainment screen. How do i fix this?

See the two posts immediately before yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 07:03 PM   #102
oOKhanhOo

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
LOL I just buy the Gen5diy reverse light harness. Only need to plug the harness in on one of the taillights.
oOKhanhOo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:23 PM   #103
aBee150
@NHTFALL

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
So I did this and now my reverse lights don't turn on at all (even with the original halogen). I checked the fuse and it's fine. Anyone experience this or have a fix?

*Update*
If this happens to anyone, check Fuse 21 in the engine fuse box. Your interior lights won't work either. I probably shorted the system, you live and learn haha

Last edited by aBee150; 04-18-2019 at 11:54 PM.
aBee150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:17 AM   #104
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
I haven't proven it yet, but I believe that adding the led reverse bulbs and resistors was the cause of my battery going dead after a few weeks of non use. I switched back to the OEM bulbs and have has no problem since.

Anyone else have that issue after changing to led?
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:07 PM   #105
viurniel
@viurniel

Drives: 19 ZLE A10, 15 2SS, 90 300ZXTT
I just did this with a different set of 8K bulbs I got from eBay. I began by soldering a 2.2 kOhm resistor on each bulb as recommended by OP, but experienced some of the issues reported by folks here (bulbs stayed on dimly, and reverse camera always on). I changed the resistor on one bulb to a 1 kOhm resistor and the rear back up camera issue was gone, but still had dimming on one bulb and flickering on the other. Then I added a 100 Ohm resistor in parallel to the 1 kOhm resistor and all issues were solved!

One thing to keep in mind when you do this is that the resistance of an led bulb is not linear, and that is why we don't have a simple straight out formula that applies to all bulbs. You will need to play a bit with your resistors, unless you purchase exactly what the OP purchased.

Also while you're at it, change the license plate bulbs - you don't need any resistors or gadgets for those to work - just plug and play.

And yes, the original bulb (on the right) is turned-on in the picture attached. Initially, I thought I would not like the 8K lights, but I actually like the blueish/red combo - superman action in the back.
Attached Images

viurniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:25 PM   #106
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
You could skip to just using a low ohm high watt resistor. It only becomes a guess and check issue when you are looking for the upper limit to avoid wasting power.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:37 AM   #107
viurniel
@viurniel

Drives: 19 ZLE A10, 15 2SS, 90 300ZXTT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
You could skip to just using a low ohm high watt resistor. It only becomes a guess and check issue when you are looking for the upper limit to avoid wasting power.
Yes that is correct and I suggest most folks should do as you state and be done with it; however, I was going for perfection or my idea of it.
viurniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:05 PM   #108
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
The problem with low ohm, high amp resistors is potential parasitic drain. If the voltage from the solid state computer output is always on, causing the glow, a low resistor will draw more amps than a high one. I removed my reverse LEDs and went back to stock bulbs. No more dead battery from sitting. Not a problem for a daily driver, but no good for those of us who let the car sit unused in crappy weather and road salt.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 02:31 AM   #109
scottcolem

Drives: 2019 ZL1
I just ordered a package of the JDM ASTAR Extremely Bright 5730 SMD 194 168 175 2825 W5W T10 license plate bulbs. I will have 4 sets extra for anyone who wants them PM me your address and ill get them out to you
scottcolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:55 PM   #110
Desertvet91

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ss
I used what was stated in the posts, when off there is a constant flow from the LED bulbs...any ideas??
Desertvet91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:06 PM   #111
KLG

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertvet91 View Post
I used what was stated in the posts, when off there is a constant flow from the LED bulbs...any ideas??
You mean constant GLOW not constant FLOW?
2016 2SS Convertible; SIM; Black & Ceramic White interior; M6; NPP; DD LED side marker lamps & back-up lamps; LED trunk lamps, license plate lamps & front T/S lamps; 3rd brake light pulser; Skip-shift eliminator; Borla s-type non-npp axle backs; Weather-Tech floor mats, trunk mat, rear license plate frame/cover; GM fuel door; ZL1addons rock guards; Removed fender badges, front & rear SS badges; JLT CAI, tune, oil separator; RP Synchromax in transmission; RP MaxGear in rear differential; GM Lowering Suspension Upgrade; Dimple oil filter magnets & magnetic oil drain plug; 3M Ceramic window tint.
KLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 01:21 PM   #112
tjward5489

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
I bought these for my 2019 and they are literally plug n play. No constant flow and the rear view camera shuts off when you leave reverse.

https://store.ijdmtoy.com/products/l...-20-001a-white
tjward5489 is offline   Reply With Quote