Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 07-08-2024, 06:13 AM   #337
cthompson07

Drives: 2016 hyper blue 2ss
I had the slow crank / no start issue in September of last year. Replaced the original battery, added a ground from the body to the water pump, and it was great. Until about 3 weeks ago. Left me stranded at Jersey Mikes. Wouldn’t even start with an overnight charged battery.

My wife’s cousin works at a Chevy dealer so I got him to replace the starter for me. I also added another ground from the negative battery to the body in the trunk. The new starter sounds completely different. Much more high pitched, faster as well. Hopefully I don’t have any more issues with it, I was already disappointed having to replace the starter at 49k miles.
Old 07-08-2024, 11:39 AM   #338
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthompson07 View Post
I had the slow crank / no start issue in September of last year. Replaced the original battery, added a ground from the body to the water pump, and it was great. Until about 3 weeks ago. Left me stranded at Jersey Mikes. Wouldnít even start with an overnight charged battery.

My wifeís cousin works at a Chevy dealer so I got him to replace the starter for me. I also added another ground from the negative battery to the body in the trunk. The new starter sounds completely different. Much more high pitched, faster as well. Hopefully I donít have any more issues with it, I was already disappointed having to replace the starter at 49k miles.
Just curious - are you the original owner? If not the prior owner may have had so many slow crank starts that the starter windings were damaged. A strong battery and a solid ground will only go so far if the starter has been weakened from too many heat-soaked start attempts. I am at 45K and so far keeping a fully charged battery and making sure the car is properly grounded has been enough.

I am glad you are back up and running. I also see we both live in the central SC area and have HBM 2016 SS's. Small world!

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2024, 05:10 AM   #339
cthompson07

Drives: 2016 hyper blue 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
Just curious - are you the original owner? If not the prior owner may have had so many slow crank starts that the starter windings were damaged. A strong battery and a solid ground will only go so far if the starter has been weakened from too many heat-soaked start attempts. I am at 45K and so far keeping a fully charged battery and making sure the car is properly grounded has been enough.

I am glad you are back up and running. I also see we both live in the central SC area and have HBM 2016 SS's. Small world!

Very small world! Im in Lexington!

But no, I believe I am the second owner. I bought with 24k miles in 2020. Itís weird, both last year and this year, when I started having problems, the starter sounded the same until it suddenly decided itís too hot. I think it died completely this time, my wifeís cousin who replaced it said it wouldnít even try to crank the last time he tried to move the car. When I first got the issue again in June, even after charging the battery, it would still struggle to start, so I think it was just on its last leg.
Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM   #340
teddyca

Drives: Blown C7 and 6th gen
Well I think it finally bit me big time slow start for a good 10 seconds and then smoke under the hood smell like electrical assuming either the alternator or power wire going to the alternator we shall see

17 Camaro 2SS 50th edition. TOTALED 6/2019
K&N Intake, MRBP axleback, Eibach kit, 20" Z28 wheels, smoked lights all the way around, Rockford Fosgate system

17 Camaro 2SS 50th edition. Round 2- 8/2019 550/600 RWHP, Magnuson TVS2300, Rotofab Intake, Corsa Xtreme, Air Lift P3 System, 20" Stance SF-07, smoked lights all the way around, Rockford Fosgate system.
teddyca is offline   Reply With Quote