Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 05-30-2023, 08:34 PM   #1
rcoe

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
2nd track day down

Did my first track day or the year and second one ever.

Really started getting the feel and was able to push the car much harder this time. Last year on the same track I was upper 1:50's and the first couple laps this time were about the same. Last year and the first two sessions this year just had it in track mode with nannies just running in auto, but with my new tune the trans was always wanting to shift into 4th at the wrong time. So for the 3rd session I went in manual mode, stayed in 3rd most of the time except a few areas where I would hit 4th and the long straight would hit 5th. This was so much better and by the last session I had dropped 20 seconds off my lap time.

New 1LE brakes were awesome had zero problems from the brakes.

I did go through a little over a quart of oil by the end of the day, the MM catch can was pretty much full. Car ran perfect but this seemed kinda odd as it has never gone through any oil before. Going to do new plugs this weekend maybe I will do a leakdown test to see if there is anything there. Or is this fairly common for boosted cars on the track, running in 3rd most of the time it was on the boost quite a bit.

Here is a short video of a couple of my better laps, let me know where I can improve. I got better with my lines following faster drivers but the off camber downhill turns is where I feel I am loosing a bunch of time along with braking too much.

https://youtu.be/ftImQdRzvXA
American Racing headers - Borla S-type
rcoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 08:59 AM   #2
Beescuz

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE
When did you check your oil level? It takes a while for the oil to drain back to the pan from the motor after running it for a while. I would wait 1-2hrs after tracking it to check the oil level. Your car is modified but, on a stock, ZLE it doesn't need oil added after a track day.

Also watching your video, depending on the accuracy of the brake light and throttle light accuracy, your braking I would work on. You shouldn't be going on and off the brakes going into a turn (It will upset the car). You want smooth braking.
Beescuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 10:38 AM   #3
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Agreed about your brake zones.

Looks like you are on-off-on with the brakes. Instead it should be smoothly on the brakes hard (and relatively quickly to peak pedal pressure), followed by smoothly (and more slowly) coming off the brakes as you approach the turn-in point for the corner (or actually trailing the pedal release into the apex as your skills advance)

Also sounds like in some corners, you are getting back on the gas well before the apex. This is a sign that you've over slowed for the corner entry.

Pay attention to well about the rotation you feel during turn in. It looks like you are sometimes turning rather abruptly, which may be upsetting the suspension. As well as not getting on the throttle so abruptly on some of the corner exits (instead roll onto the throttle as you are opening the steering wheel) You have the stability control turned on, which might mean that it's correcting your mistakes (preventing oversteer) without you knowing it, and chewing up your rear brake pads.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 12:10 PM   #4
rcoe

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Good points I know I was braking too much and tapping them rather than just getting on them once. Seeing the video with the brake light really showed me where I need to improve in this area.

Checked the oil when we got to the track and again the next day.
American Racing headers - Borla S-type
rcoe is offline   Reply With Quote