Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-22-2020, 11:48 AM   #15
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Was anyone able to confirm the true differences between the ZL1 and SS systems?

So from what I am seeing it seems switching to the ZL1 part number primary cat it should bolt up? but I guess we are still doubtful it has any extra airflow capacity over the SS part number.

I have compared a lot of the SS and ZL1 part numbers and see that a lot are different and I just don't get why GM wouldn't try to save on costs with the same PNs for both if there is actually a need for different parts so they could meet their power goals for the LT4 over the LT1.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 01:53 PM   #16
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Difference wise I believe the only difference is as someone said of larger piping and larger tips.

I put a axle-back from a ZL1 on my v6 so it’ll fit lol
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 11:24 AM   #17
Spartan268

Drives: HB 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
Was anyone able to confirm the true differences between the ZL1 and SS systems?

So from what I am seeing it seems switching to the ZL1 part number primary cat it should bolt up? but I guess we are still doubtful it has any extra airflow capacity over the SS part number.

I have compared a lot of the SS and ZL1 part numbers and see that a lot are different and I just don't get why GM wouldn't try to save on costs with the same PNs for both if there is actually a need for different parts so they could meet their power goals for the LT4 over the LT1.

So from what I found back when I made the thread and the shop I went to, who took it from their ZL1 shop car. Airflow is negligible, asides from the headers, this car has very good airflow from the cats to the back. You can be FBO and you're not leaving much power on the table with a stock catback if any at all. Some top quarter times are with a stock catback. If you're talking about the cats, I wouldn't waste your time on the ZL1 cats and just go straight to some High Flo's or catless pipes.

But yes the shop made a similar remark about the cats being slightly off. Thankfully the exhaust I got marrys up to the secondaries instead so no fitment issues there. Come time for headers (Which I might regret with the Ataks) it should be a good fit.

Did you have some specific plans in mind or just wondering?
Spartan268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 05:15 PM   #18
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan268 View Post
So from what I found back when I made the thread and the shop I went to, who took it from their ZL1 shop car. Airflow is negligible, asides from the headers, this car has very good airflow from the cats to the back. You can be FBO and you're not leaving much power on the table with a stock catback if any at all. Some top quarter times are with a stock catback. If you're talking about the cats, I wouldn't waste your time on the ZL1 cats and just go straight to some High Flo's or catless pipes.

But yes the shop made a similar remark about the cats being slightly off. Thankfully the exhaust I got marrys up to the secondaries instead so no fitment issues there. Come time for headers (Which I might regret with the Ataks) it should be a good fit.

Did you have some specific plans in mind or just wondering?
Thanks I was just wondering, I know the OEMs don't like having multiple part numbers, I'm wondering why they needed 2 different ones.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 05:46 PM   #19
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleboy92 View Post
Difference wise I believe the only difference is as someone said of larger piping and larger tips.

I put a axle-back from a ZL1 on my v6 so it’ll fit lol
pipe is NOT larger. one cat I think the driver's side is slightly different, and the tips.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote