Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 10-29-2022, 09:27 PM   #1
RayKinStL

Drives: 2022 LT1
Question Regarding Spoiler

I have a 2022 LT1. It has the RS package, so it came with the lip spoiler. Not the biggest fan. I want to put a bigger spoiler on it and really like the look of the factory ZL1 spoiler. It's also nice that I can get it in Satin Steel so it would match my paint.

When I look at the installation instructions here...

https://accessories.chevrolet.com/pr...t&model=Camaro

they warn "This SB3 Wing Kit is intended for use only on 2016 model and beyond Camaros that come already equipped with a 3-stanchion spoiler. Deck lids with 3-stanchion spoilers are equipped with structural reinforcement for the center stanchion not found on other deck lids. Use of this kit on any non-approved deck lid configuration is not suggested, may invalidate your warranty, and may put your vehicle in non-compliance with FMVSS regulations."

So will installation of this spoiler cause an issue on my car? Is the deck lid on my car not the proper one needed to install a 3-stanchion spoiler?
RayKinStL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 09:33 PM   #2
Grimlock212

Drives: Chevy Camaro SS 1LE, Volvo V70R
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayKinStL View Post
I have a 2022 LT1. It has the RS package, so it came with the lip spoiler. Not the biggest fan. I want to put a bigger spoiler on it and really like the look of the factory ZL1 spoiler. It's also nice that I can get it in Satin Steel so it would match my paint.

When I look at the installation instructions here...

https://accessories.chevrolet.com/pr...t&model=Camaro

they warn "This SB3 Wing Kit is intended for use only on 2016 model and beyond Camaros that come already equipped with a 3-stanchion spoiler. Deck lids with 3-stanchion spoilers are equipped with structural reinforcement for the center stanchion not found on other deck lids. Use of this kit on any non-approved deck lid configuration is not suggested, may invalidate your warranty, and may put your vehicle in non-compliance with FMVSS regulations."

So will installation of this spoiler cause an issue on my car? Is the deck lid on my car not the proper one needed to install a 3-stanchion spoiler?
Your car isn’t a 3-stanchion equipped car, so it might take some work to swap styles. I know some folks swap trunks to get the right mounting points for a ZL1 type of spoiler.

The link shows what a basic 3 stanchion spoiler looks like:
https://www.google.com/search?q=2017...vfId6Z7p7a7SXM
Grimlock212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 09:44 PM   #3
RayKinStL

Thanks. I understand what a 3 stanchion spoiler is. I just wasn't sure if the "structural reinforcement for the center stanchion" might be standard and there to make this installation possible. I didn't mind drilling the holes, but I obviously don't want to do that if the structural integrity of the deck lid would be compromised by doing so. Guess that answers my question then. Sad. No way I am getting a replacement deck lid as well just to put a spoiler on it. Getting far too expensive at that point. $400 and some change for the spoiler with me doing all the work seemed reasonable. Add a deck lid replacement and we are no longer in the realm of reasonable. Guess I'll just learn to love the lip spoiler.
Old 10-29-2022, 10:43 PM   #4
Grimlock212

Quote:
Thanks. I understand what a 3 stanchion spoiler is. I just wasn't sure if the "structural reinforcement for the center stanchion" might be standard and there to make this installation possible. I didn't mind drilling the holes, but I obviously don't want to do that if the structural integrity of the deck lid would be compromised by doing so. Guess that answers my question then. Sad. No way I am getting a replacement deck lid as well just to put a spoiler on it. Getting far too expensive at that point. $400 and some change for the spoiler with me doing all the work seemed reasonable. Add a deck lid replacement and we are no longer in the realm of reasonable. Guess I'll just learn to love the lip spoiler.
I may be biased, but I think the lip spoiler and the ZL1 1LE spoilers are the two coolest spoilers on the 6th gen…so you have a cool one to me!
Old 10-30-2022, 07:12 PM   #5
kpgreenwell

Drives: 2017 50th anniversary edition v6 A8
You can add a 1le spoiler as the holes line up the same as the lip spoiler. The 1le spoiler is a little taller and the two side pieces just stick on the upper quarter panels. That is a great look IMO.
kpgreenwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 08:31 PM   #6
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
What about a bigger lip spoiler like the one on the ss1le? Or maybe at add on to your current one…
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 08:49 PM   #7
keep_hope_alive
Electrical Engineer

Drives: 2023 1SS A10 Black
Just swap the trunk lid to get the matching spoiler.

1100: 5/3/22 . . . . . . . 2000: 6/25/22 . . . . . .4000: 8/17/22 . . . . . . . 6000: 9/10/22

Daily Driver mileage update: 22k mi. @ April 2024
New Engine @ 22,600

Build Log: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...6#post11353116
keep_hope_alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 08:56 PM   #8
RayKinStL

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
Just swap the trunk lid to get the matching spoiler.
The lid is like $500+ and then you have to get it painted to match on top of that. Suddenly something I wanted to do for around $400 is costing over a grand. And I'd be worried about the painted trunk lid not perfectly matching the rest of the vehicle.
Old 10-30-2022, 10:05 PM   #9
S.Macias
Monterey County Camaros

Drives: 2016 Camaro
Sister has a car similar to yours with the RS spoiler. She wanted a three stanchion spoiler instead. Essentially, you need to remove the current spoiler, fill in all the holes, color match the paint, make it look good, then drill new holes for the new spoiler.

She ended up going with the zl1 add-ons wicker bill for the RS since she didn't want to bother with the work.

https://zl1addons.com/collections/ca...ucts/camaro-rs
Old 10-31-2022, 12:19 AM   #10
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Or, you could try wrapping the spoiler matte black. I was kinda meh about the RS spoiler, so ended up wrapping mine. I’m surprised how much I like it. What looked like nothing before, has at least a modicum of character now. Cost almost nothing and is totally reversible.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 12:36 AM   #11
The Maverick
Somewhere in the Kalahari

Drives: 2021/18 (de-fresh) 3LT RS
The wrap approach is definitely less of a hit to the pocketbook. I wrapped the blade spoiler (and hood) on my 2016 with satin black:
The Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 02:44 PM   #12
Grimlock212

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgreenwell View Post
You can add a 1le spoiler as the holes line up the same as the lip spoiler. The 1le spoiler is a little taller and the two side pieces just stick on the upper quarter panels. That is a great look IMO.
He wants the ZL1 1LE spoiler, not the SS 1LE version.
Old 10-31-2022, 07:13 PM   #13
kpgreenwell

Drives: 2017 50th anniversary edition v6 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock212 View Post
He wants the ZL1 1LE spoiler, not the SS 1LE version.
Yes I know what he said he wanted, just giving him another option.
kpgreenwell is offline   Reply With Quote