Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 10-27-2020, 07:46 AM   #29
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoeusAscended View Post
Thats what we hoped for with the A8 shudder issue too but nope, GM decided they rather hope a customer won't come in with the problem and in the end be better off themselves financially by not issuing a recall. I love this car but not a fan of the management that runs GM at all.
+1

GM doesn’t care about their customers. It’s sad.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:55 AM   #30
Thill444

Drives: 2020 SS1LE Shadow Gray Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsChristianInHD View Post
+1

GM doesn’t care about their customers. It’s sad.
It's pretty much all American car companies. I am coming from a GT350, so enough said there. I also have a JL Wrangler and if you think GM has issues, FCA is a whole different level.

I have a car affected by the valve spring issue, so I am all in favor of GM recalling every single car, truck, etc that is affected and replacing the valve springs. Realistically, I know this is not likely to happen so I only hope they fail soon and it's not catastrophic, but if it is, you better believe they will be giving me a new engine and an extended warranty.
Thill444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:19 AM   #31
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
And if you think it's just American car companies (which FCA isn't, btw), then you should give VW a try sometime! Actually, Honda has probably screwed over more customers than anyone but somehow they get away without a bad rep (look up automatic transmissions and cylinder deactivation). Anyone who thinks GM is going to voluntarily replace every LT1 they installed in a six-month period when 99% of them will never have a problem is insane. No responsible company would ever work that way. But if your engine has a problem, they seem to cover it without question. That's all you can ask of any company.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:28 AM   #32
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
You’d figure they would just send out a recall on effected build dates & eat it up front rather than replacing an entire engine, rental fees, paying payments, etc & having pissed off customers.
First of all, GM is still trying to figure out just how many engines could have bad valve springs right now. These springs were not limited to one engine plant either. Right now, they probably don't know exactly how many and which engines have the bad springs. If and when they get that figured out, they'll hopefully issue a recall.

GM is working on this. They're not just sitting back and waiting for more failures. The conspiracy theorists that think GM doesn't care need to calm down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FH212 View Post
This is interesting that yours is a 2021. I had heard I think it was on LethalGarage YouTube and I also read it somewhere that this was only affecting 2020’s. I am curious if this is affecting 2021s like mine also.
Unfortunately it is. This issue covers some 2020 and 2021 vehicles. Depends on when the heads on the engine were assembled. Build date of the car doesn't matter as much as when the heads were assembled.

We had a new 2021 6.2 Trail Boss that had a spring let go at 54 miles. Unfortunately, it resulted in engine failure.
Attached Images

GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:11 AM   #33
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
It seems like they fail quickly after being put into service.

At this point, I'd say that is a good thing. Since it is currently just a TSB, having a spring fail at 51K would really suck....
Old 10-27-2020, 10:51 AM   #34
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
In my experience, a lot of how a dealer / manufacturer treats you is directly related to how you deal with them. I have my vehicles serviced at the dealership, and in spite of their reputation for charging too much, the internet has made their service prices very competitive. I get every complaint in writing documented on the service ticket, and there is absolutely no question about the service history nor is there a question about whether aftermarket parts were used, because they were not, obviously.

On my Camaro, I have had the dealer install my cat back exhaust, BMR suspension components, and my carbon fiber steering wheel.

Obviously, this car dropped a valve right away, but dealing with them on a professional level, no emotion, and insisting on all of your rights as a consumer will likely result in a positive outcome in the end.

Yes, it sucks. Stay in contact with the dealership, or maybe discuss the issue with the service manager. Go see the engine after the head is pulled, to verify the damage. Take pictures. A dropped valve will likely result in complete engine damage, so insist on a brand new engine. Inspect the work after it is done, using a flashlight and give it a thorough going over.

You will prevail.

Last edited by Mark R; 10-27-2020 at 01:06 PM.
Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 11:02 AM   #35
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
In my experience, a lot of how a dealer / manufacturer treats you is directly related to how you deal with them. I have my vehicles serviced at the dealership, and in spite of their reputation for charging too much, the internet has made their service prices very competitive. I get every complaint in writing documented on the service ticket, and there is absolutely no question about the service history nor is there a question about whether aftermarket parts were used, because they were not, obviously.

On my Camaro, I have had the dealer install my cat back exhaust, BMR suspension components, and my carbon fiber steering wheel.

Obviously, this car dropped a valve right away, but dealing with them on a professional level, no emotion, and insisting on all of your rights as a consumer will likely result in a positive outcome in the end.

Yes, it sucks. Stay in contact with the dealership, or maybe discuss the issue with the service manager. Go see the engine after the head is pulled, to verify the damage. Take pictures. A dropped valve will likely result in complete engine damage, so insist on a brand new engine. Inspect the work after it is done, using a flashlight give it a thorough going over.

You will prevail.
I agree on getting as good as you give... most of the time. Occasionally, you'll get nothing but attitude even though you are professional and respectful towards them. But, as a rule, being reasonable towards the dealership personnel will net you a lot of good will in return.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 01:47 PM   #36
6sigma

Drives: rally green LT1 manual
I think GM is handling this reasonably well so far. The good part is the failure occurs early so unlikely to have this failure long outside of warranty. I have to think if they knew positively which engines have the bad springs they would proactively swap those springs before failure. Maybe if they hone into the specific range they will do so.

I can recall only once where a manufacturer did a proactive engine replacement. Porsche did this on the very early 991 GT3s where those engines ALL had a bad part that would lead to catastrophic failure, including risk of fire (safety risk). There was a very small number of cars delivered and they issued a recall for replacement engines for all of them.
6sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 03:30 PM   #37
Thill444

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sigma View Post
I think GM is handling this reasonably well so far. The good part is the failure occurs early so unlikely to have this failure long outside of warranty. I have to think if they knew positively which engines have the bad springs they would proactively swap those springs before failure. Maybe if they hone into the specific range they will do so.

I can recall only once where a manufacturer did a proactive engine replacement. Porsche did this on the very early 991 GT3s where those engines ALL had a bad part that would lead to catastrophic failure, including risk of fire (safety risk). There was a very small number of cars delivered and they issued a recall for replacement engines for all of them.
Yeah this is very different since this engine is used across so many GM products. The C8 seems to be the hardest hit, one dealer in NY said 4 out of his 7 C8's have had valve spring issues, some resulting in catastrophic failure.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:47 PM   #38
Bob RS

Drives: 2019 Camaro RS 1LT
Unfortunately for the C8 owners demanding a new C8 is not going to be an option since it took nearly 15 months to get one. Refusing to take delivery of your new C8 your going to be back on the waiting list for a long time. The best thing GM should do here for its customers is to offer for free any one effective by this a 10 year 100,000 mile guarantee zero deductible warranty.
Bob RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 03:49 PM   #39
Thill444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob RS View Post
Unfortunately for the C8 owners demanding a new C8 is not going to be an option since it took nearly 15 months to get one. Refusing to take delivery of your new C8 your going to be back on the waiting list for a long time. The best thing GM should do here for its customers is to offer for free any one effective by this a 10 year 100,000 mile guarantee zero deductible warranty.
I am not sure GM would even offer you a buyback for this. You buy the car and it fails with 100, 200, 500, etc miles on it then it would likely be a factory warranty repair/replacement unless it qualifies for your state lemon law.

And yeah with the C8 that means getting back in line and waiting 12+ months, etc.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:54 PM   #40
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy2020 View Post
I ordered a 2021 lt1 and after 220 miles the valve spring broke and the valve dropped and hit the piston.I was not hot rodding the car at all.So I had the car towed back to the dealer.I called the dealer to get an up date on the car and the service rep.said that they are waiting on Chevrolet to decide if they were going to fix the motor or replace it.So I told them I do not want a rebuilt motor,I want to replace the motor (it only had 220 miles on it)So far I drove the car for a little over a week and they have had the car a little over 2 weeks.I’m trying to be calm.They did give me a nice new Silverado pick up as a loaner.I’m happy about that part.
220 miles?? Should be no bickering and dickering. Mary Barra needs to do the right thing and replace the whole effing car. She makes about $21mill a year. She should buy you a car. The car had a major failure pretty much driving it off the lot.

Last edited by MackSteelPrivateEye; 10-27-2020 at 04:02 PM. Reason: jh
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 04:09 PM   #41
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
And if you think it's just American car companies (which FCA isn't, btw), then you should give VW a try sometime! Actually, Honda has probably screwed over more customers than anyone but somehow they get away without a bad rep (look up automatic transmissions and cylinder deactivation). Anyone who thinks GM is going to voluntarily replace every LT1 they installed in a six-month period when 99% of them will never have a problem is insane. No responsible company would ever work that way. But if your engine has a problem, they seem to cover it without question. That's all you can ask of any company.
Toyota is no better. Toyota is a bunch of hype for years.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 05:36 PM   #42
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
First of all, GM is still trying to figure out just how many engines could have bad valve springs right now. These springs were not limited to one engine plant either. Right now, they probably don't know exactly how many and which engines have the bad springs. If and when they get that figured out, they'll hopefully issue a recall.

GM is working on this. They're not just sitting back and waiting for more failures. The conspiracy theorists that think GM doesn't care need to calm down.

Unfortunately it is. This issue covers some 2020 and 2021 vehicles. Depends on when the heads on the engine were assembled. Build date of the car doesn't matter as much as when the heads were assembled.

We had a new 2021 6.2 Trail Boss that had a spring let go at 54 miles. Unfortunately, it resulted in engine failure.

I hope you’re right on GM actually caring.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote