Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-02-2021, 09:57 AM   #183
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Yep as far fetched as it can seem for us enthusiasts to believe the following succession of items could occur at the same time:

1. Engine built and installed into car at the factory without oil
2. Pass factory QC with either oil light on or someone NOT checking the oil level dipstick
3. Passing PDI at the dealer with oil light on (or most likely no one at the dealer checking it to begin with)
4. New owner driving away with the oil light on and/or flashing

It can happen. Many people on the road today have no idea what it means if their oil light comes on their car car right now. It's partly why manufacturers have designed fail-safes and more clear descriptions in warning lights, like reduced power (limp mode) and the DIC message in some cars actually saying "LOW OIL - SHUT VEHICLE OFF IMMEDIATELY"
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:36 AM   #184
SirJangle

Drives: 2021 Acura RDX SH-AWD Advance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
Yep as far fetched as it can seem for us enthusiasts to believe the following succession of items could occur at the same time:

2. Pass factory QC with either oil light on or someone NOT checking the oil level dipstick
3. Passing PDI at the dealer with oil light on (or most likely no one at the dealer checking it to begin with)

It can happen. Many people on the road today have no idea what it means if their oil light comes on their car car right now. It's partly why manufacturers have designed fail-safes and more clear descriptions in warning lights, like reduced power (limp mode) and the DIC message in some cars actually saying "LOW OIL - SHUT VEHICLE OFF IMMEDIATELY"
Not far fetched at all. When we took delivery of the wife's QX50, it was right off the truck and even still had the plastic protection on it. We looked at it, liked it, and got the deal we wanted. They simply detailed it and sent us on our way. Days later when scrolling thru the steering wheel menu settings, I noticed that the tire pressure was at 50 PSI (should've been 33). I took it back to the dealership and told them that they may want to service the vehicle since they didn't at delivery. He asked how did I know that. I told him about the tire pressure (I know they overinflate when transporting and for just sitting on the lots). Sure enough, they had no record of servicing the vehicle. I made them give me a signed document stating such and that the tires were at 50 PSI for over 500 miles. Should the tires wear prematurely, we weren't paying for them (we leased it). They did so without argument. So, yes, it happens that vehicles aren't serviced and things are missed.
SirJangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 02:22 PM   #185
spitz

Drives: 2021 SS lt2
It happen to my 2021 SS at 321 miles number 7 cylinder spring broke. The part that pissed me off was it happen when my wife was on her way to work. Left her broke down at 3:30 in the morning. I went where she was broke down and she went to work.
The dealer towed the car replaced 16 valve springs, It's been fine so far. I think now she has 3k miles on it.
spitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 03:07 PM   #186
Wrecks24

Drives: Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitz View Post
It happen to my 2021 SS at 321 miles number 7 cylinder spring broke. The part that pissed me off was it happen when my wife was on her way to work. Left her broke down at 3:30 in the morning. I went where she was broke down and she went to work.
The dealer towed the car replaced 16 valve springs, It's been fine so far. I think now she has 3k miles on it.
Most of the valve spring issues seem to be happening between 200-500 miles, even in the other models with the same engine. My guess would be that after a thousand or so miles, it should be good to go.
Old 02-03-2021, 03:09 PM   #187
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitz View Post
Sucks that it happened... there's never a "good time" for that type of issue.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 03:18 PM   #188
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy2020 View Post
I ordered a 2021 lt1 and after 220 miles the valve spring broke and the valve dropped and hit the piston.I was not hot rodding the car at all.So I had the car towed back to the dealer.I called the dealer to get an up date on the car and the service rep.said that they are waiting on Chevrolet to decide if they were going to fix the motor or replace it.So I told them I do not want a rebuilt motor,I want to replace the motor (it only had 220 miles on it)So far I drove the car for a little over a week and they have had the car a little over 2 weeks.I’m trying to be calm.They did give me a nice new Silverado pick up as a loaner.I’m happy about that part.
Bummer. Is the block damaged?

Grin and bear it. Smile a lot and be on your best
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 04:04 PM   #189
supercab78

Drives: 1931 Ford 1941&1963 Chevy. 2020 LT1
In 2017 I bought a new GMC truck. After 3 free oil changes from the dealer I was doing my own oil changes only to discover my front diff was 8 oz. low on fluid. No signs of leaks either. Apparently people don't check diff fluids any more when changing oil. It got a lot quieter when in auto AWD after that.
supercab78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 12:25 PM   #190
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
This is Dodge under the Daimler years - the story is absolutely believable. Especially on those caravans..... the quality control was abysmal.

Car dealers 20-25 years ago and auto makers were quite different even though the QC was worse back then.

Today while the cars in general have better QC it seems getting warranty work done and things covered is worse than pulling teeth and customer service in general at the corporate and dealer levels are also lacking too. Most dealers and makers don't even have loaner cars anymore.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:17 PM   #191
Puddin

Quote:

Can confirm that the Camaro does in fact give that message especially when your oil pump decides to give out.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:28 PM   #192
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin View Post
Can confirm that the Camaro does in fact give that message especially when your oil pump decides to give out.
Oh yikes! Sorry to hear that - were you able to save your engine?
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 05:36 PM   #193
Puddin

Quote:
Oh yikes! Sorry to hear that - were you able to save your engine?
Nope by that point damage was done. I'd say it worked out ok in the end because I ended up throwing a 427 in it and been happy ever since.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 12:25 AM   #194
DriftNDraft

Drives: 2020 1SS 1LE M6 was 2018 V6 RS A8
Does anyone know if any of the LT1 engines with defective valve springs were built in Bowling Green KY? Most Camaro V8 engines and LT2 Corvette engines are built at Tonawanda Engine in Buffalo, New York, but many 2020 SS 1LEs with manual transmissions were built at the Performance Build Center in Bowling Green KY. Those engines have a plaque on the driver's side of the engine indicating the point of assembly and the name of the tech who assembled the engine.
Attached Images

Last edited by DriftNDraft; 03-15-2021 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Add photo
DriftNDraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 09:32 AM   #195
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
How many miles do you have on your motor?
Old 03-15-2021, 12:10 PM   #196
DriftNDraft

Drives: 2020 1SS 1LE M6 was 2018 V6 RS A8
Got to drive it 400 miles before the snow hit last fall. No issues as of yet.
DriftNDraft is offline   Reply With Quote