Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-22-2019, 07:59 PM   #43
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
And besides the stock SS tires are not terribly grippey.
This.
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 02:16 AM   #44
TenSeven

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I read so many posts in this thread about Chevy not putting "X" wheels and tires on the new LT1 Camaro. Why?

To me, it's obvious that GM knows that anyone who buys the LT1 with the intention of hitting on it is going to buy aftermarket wheels and tires on their way home from the dealership, if they hadn't ordered them in advance and the new tire & wheel setup is waiting in the garage.

Anecdotal as it may be, I'm an example. My '16 2SS's wheels and tires have been sitting in storage (For Sale!) for 3 years with less than 600 miles on them. I knew they were the first things to go.

With GM knowing that, why not put on the cheapest rolling stock setup on these cars to keep the sticker price as low as possible? The little things add up quick.

*edit to add*

For any of the GM part # sharps out there, the new LT1 fender emblem is killing me! I need a few. Please let me know when it is available?

Last edited by TenSeven; 06-23-2019 at 02:33 AM.
TenSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 05:10 AM   #45
Beamz27

Drives: 19 Satin Steel 2SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenSeven View Post
I read so many posts in this thread about Chevy not putting "X" wheels and tires on the new LT1 Camaro. Why?

To me, it's obvious that GM knows that anyone who buys the LT1 with the intention of hitting on it is going to buy aftermarket wheels and tires on their way home from the dealership, if they hadn't ordered them in advance and the new tire & wheel setup is waiting in the garage.

Anecdotal as it may be, I'm an example. My '16 2SS's wheels and tires have been sitting in storage (For Sale!) for 3 years with less than 600 miles on them. I knew they were the first things to go.

With GM knowing that, why not put on the cheapest rolling stock setup on these cars to keep the sticker price as low as possible? The little things add up quick.

*edit to add*

For any of the GM part # sharps out there, the new LT1 fender emblem is killing me! I need a few. Please let me know when it is available?
Any pics of those wheels?
Beamz27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:14 AM   #46
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
The lack of engine oil, transmission, and differential coolers is puzzling.

This will be just a cruiser or stop light to stop light performer. Why would you need additional cooling?
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:38 AM   #47
Lazerbrainz2k3

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS - M6, NPP, MRC
Quote:
If you look around you can pick up stock low mile SS tires for almost free. And a never ending supply. And besides the stock SS tires are not terribly grippey.
Better than any all seasons I've ever tried or heard of being tried. You might try to use four SS front tires, but you'd still need at least the wider wheels for maximum benefit, and those won't be "almost free," particularly if like most people you prefer all four wheels to be of the same style (more expensive still).

In any event, you're still modding the car from its factory configuration. Stock vs. stock, I don't think the claim holds up.

Since the hypothetical LT1 guy is modding anyway, it's only fair that the hypothetical SS guy get PS4S's while the LT1 guy is trying to find the cheapest set of aftermarket or used SS wheels (4x 245 or 245 & 275) and cheap used "not terribly grippy" tires he can, and the SS is very likely to be superior over the minor weight advantage the LT1 would have.
Lazerbrainz2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:10 PM   #48
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
My Michelin all season non run flat will out 60’ the stock run flat summer only.

The fact of the matter is you’re going to be pedaling out of the hole regardless. I’d rather have the weight reduction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy Dog View Post
This will be just a cruiser or stop light to stop light performer. Why would you need additional cooling?
My SS has never been used to actually need the coolers. I can’t be the only one
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:34 PM   #49
Lazerbrainz2k3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
My Michelin all season non run flat will out 60’ the stock run flat summer only.

The fact of the matter is you’re going to be pedaling out of the hole regardless. I’d rather have the weight reduction
That's well and good, but what about the other 1260'? And how would they hold up to my Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's? Also, you have an SS, meaning it's likely that even with all seasons you've got the advantage of the staggered wheels - something the LT1 won't have, in addition to factory all seasons which won't be as good as yours either.

Better tires mean less pedaling which in turn means better times. Less weight means better times, too, but we're only talking 66 lbs, not 2-3 times that. I'd rather have the better tires. Worst case for the SS the advantages of each trim cancel each other out in terms of acceleration, but summer tires have other advantages doing other things which all seasons lack.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:38 PM   #50
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
If you look around you can pick up stock low mile SS tires for almost free. And a never ending supply. And besides the stock SS tires are not terribly grippey.
Quote:
This.
The stock SS wheel / summer tire combo is not that bad in my opinion for a summer street tire.

1.01g on the skidpad. 70-0 mph braking in < 150ft. Are you expecting better out of a street tire?

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...m-test-review/

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:22 PM   #51
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerbrainz2k3 View Post
Better than any all seasons I've ever tried or heard of being tried. You might try to use four SS front tires, but you'd still need at least the wider wheels for maximum benefit, and those won't be "almost free," particularly if like most people you prefer all four wheels to be of the same style (more expensive still).

In any event, you're still modding the car from its factory configuration. Stock vs. stock, I don't think the claim holds up.

Since the hypothetical LT1 guy is modding anyway, it's only fair that the hypothetical SS guy get PS4S's while the LT1 guy is trying to find the cheapest set of aftermarket or used SS wheels (4x 245 or 245 & 275) and cheap used "not terribly grippy" tires he can, and the SS is very likely to be superior over the minor weight advantage the LT1 would have.
Not the same but I got the SS (245 & 275) with practically new tires from local about $550. Don't think it'll do much for my v6 but the price was pretty good imo
Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 03:50 PM   #52
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
I think the sentiment being felt here, is that 400 wheel horsepower is difficult to handle on the street, and a square all-season setup could be dangerous for inexperienced drivers. Those youtube videos of "idiot drivers" peeling out of a parking lot, then veering into a light pole? It will be an LT1 that does it.

That's the price you pay, for putting a big engine in a cheaper package.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 09:20 PM   #53
Lazerbrainz2k3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleboy92 View Post
Not the same but I got the SS (245 & 275) with practically new tires from local about $550. Don't think it'll do much for my v6 but the price was pretty good imo
That's an excellent deal and much less than what someone could fairly get for the OE wheels, much less tires in good condition as well. Someone must have been desperate to part with his old wheels - been there, ditched the 19" wheels and 4,000 mile Firestone Firehawk Indy500s I bought for my 2010 V6 when I got the 17 SS for $500. Didn't really care that much about getting what the tires/wheels/TPMS were worth as much as getting something to partly offset the cost of the 18" wheels and Blizzaks for the SS.

I don't think most people should expect the deal you got.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:33 PM   #54
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:

My SS has never been used to actually need the coolers. I can’t be the only one
true dat.... 66 lbs, sure alot of it is rim and tire but that is alot for a lower price.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 02:16 PM   #55
supercab78

Drives: 1931 Ford 1941&1963 Chevy. 2020 LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post
Here are some more details on the 2020 LT1:

Model designation is 1LZ.

7" Chevy Infotainment 3 system. Voice recognition only through phone.

8" Chevy Infotainment 3 system available as part of Technology Package.

Has same single zone climate control as SS.

Has standard Driver information Center, rather than 8" Enhanced of SS.

Visor vanity mirrors are non-illuminated (SS are illuminated).

4 piston Brembo brakes in the front, and non-Brembo in the rear (SS has Brembo in the rear).

No external engine oil cooler, extra capacity cooling system, engine coolant auxiliary cooler, transmission cooler or differential cooler that are included with SS.

New 20" silver painted aluminum wheels (non-staggered).

245/45R20 All season run flat tires front and rear.

FE3 Performance suspension standard (same as SS).

Magnetic ride control not available.

6-speed Manual Transmission does not include rev matching that SS has.

OnStar/SiriusXM fin antenna black instead of body color on the SS.

Taillights not dark tinted (SS taillights are dark tinted).

No standard rear spoiler. Lip spoiler optional.

Curb weight of LT1 with 6 speed manual is 66 pounds lighter than SS.

A correction needs to be made; Lt1 does have, Rev match, oil and trans cooler (at least on a M6 ) Performance timer and G force gauge and a spoiler on the convertible. It does not have a diff cooler though.
supercab78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 02:31 PM   #56
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Visor vanity mirrors are non-illuminated (SS are illuminated). <--- Mine are not, 2SS
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote