Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-20-2023, 03:38 PM   #1
LANDFILL

Drives: '18 SS 1LE
More power with CA smog and track reliability

Keeping the car NA seems to be the best option for track use. However this is just going to be a track day car, not a TT or endurance racer.

The caveat is dealing with California smog. I'm not too concerned since I have exemption til 2026 IIRC, but going cam heads etc is hard to reverse if need be.

My only worry is what else would be needed along with a Whipple to be ok for 100 degree track days. Seems like bigger oil cooler, and heat exchanger/rad would be sufficient.

Last edited by LANDFILL; 02-20-2023 at 04:01 PM.
LANDFILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 07:19 PM   #2
Baddawg53

Drives: 17 hyper blue 2SS M6
Anything you do will basically violate the smog laws in this state. Makes the ZLE more attractive, much more power without mods.

Mine is modded, I'll be going non-op this year. It's not due to be smogged until 2025 however it's basically a track only car already.

Do the Whipples get heat soaked like the LT4's do?
Baddawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 11:21 AM   #3
LANDFILL

Drives: '18 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddawg53 View Post
Anything you do will basically violate the smog laws in this state. Makes the ZLE more attractive, much more power without mods.

Mine is modded, I'll be going non-op this year. It's not due to be smogged until 2025 however it's basically a track only car already.

Multiple kits are legal with the canned tune(which I would only use for smog purposes). But the supporting mods are what wouldn't be as easier to skate by with(headers of course).

Paid 37k for my low mileage SS 1LE so going ZLE would of been a 25-30k price gap. Plenty of dough to budget for mods, and the headache with smog may also be worth it.

May just do headers, LT5 intake and ported or larger TB plus dyno tune. Should be plenry(for now)
LANDFILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 11:35 AM   #4
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddawg53 View Post

yup im in same boat i got a rear left its either keep it or sell it or buy a truck and trailer and that is the way im going right now lol it sucks
Old 02-22-2023, 12:04 AM   #5
Baddawg53

Drives: 17 hyper blue 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LANDFILL View Post
Multiple kits are legal with the canned tune(which I would only use for smog purposes). But the supporting mods are what wouldn't be as easier to skate by with(headers of course).

Paid 37k for my low mileage SS 1LE so going ZLE would of been a 25-30k price gap. Plenty of dough to budget for mods, and the headache with smog may also be worth it.

May just do headers, LT5 intake and ported or larger TB plus dyno tune. Should be plenry(for now)
Might want to verify, but I've heard they check for custom tunes when you get smogged.

When my car was FBO it made 475 whp, it was plenty until it wasn't!! lol
Baddawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 05:16 AM   #6
ThirstyDave

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 50th Anniversary
Honestly, you can do whatever you want to your car in California. When it comes to smog, you just have to pay more for it. Lol
ThirstyDave is offline   Reply With Quote