Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 03-08-2015, 03:41 AM   #1
spadz93
BUMBL Z

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Very weak RS HID light output

Ever since I got my '10 SS last year, i've always thought that the OEM RS HIDs were rather weak and not strong. I've actually driven halogen-lit vehicles that i'll say easily outshine the lights on my camaro. I've read a lot of mixed reviews on previous threads, and was just wondering if maybe chevy switched the manufacturers or something for their HIDs earlier on?

I tried a new set of bulbs from Diode Dynamics, and while they were a hair brighter, they're still not at all where I think it should be. I keep almost nailing potholes because I can barely see the road! Does anyone think that something could be up? Maybe my ballasts are starting to die since they're about 6 years old (car was built in 09) as of now?
Current: 2015 ZL1 M6, Rotofab Intake, LS3 throttle body, 2.55 Upper/9.17 Lower w/ Idler Relocation, DMS Reinforced Brick, ID1050X, 1 7/8" Headers, ProSpeed HX/Reservoir, DSX Aux Pump/Flex Fuel Sensor, E85, McLeod RXT, BMR 1" Drop, Tuned by Pat G
Past: 2010 2SS, some bolt ons, 415rwhp/400rwtq

spadz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 04:23 AM   #2
revived
Vrrrm.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Something's wrong if you think the 4300k hids are not bright. The stock lights are highest lumens output bulb you can buy. diode dynamics aren't brughter then oem or the same quality.

revived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:56 PM   #3
spadz93
BUMBL Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by revived View Post
Something's wrong if you think the 4300k hids are not bright. The stock lights are highest lumens output bulb you can buy. diode dynamics aren't brughter then oem or the same quality.
I tried diode's bulbs (i DID go 6000k but i didn't think it would be this pitiful) because my stock bulbs were 5-6 years old and starting to die on me. I honestly think i own flashlights that are brighter than these headlights right now.

This isn't one of those "oh there must be something wrong with you if you think the stock HIDs aren't bright" (i've seen this pop up on a LOT of previous threads) things because i've parked next to my mom's lincoln mkx and my dad's F-150, both of which have factory-equipped HID's and theirs blew mine straight out of the water with both sets of bulbs. Even my sister's Jeep GC, which has HALOGEN-projectors, was leaps and bounds brighter than mine on both sets. There has to be something wrong here. I won't mind spending some coin on a good set of bulbs, anything to allow me to see the road again at night.
Current: 2015 ZL1 M6, Rotofab Intake, LS3 throttle body, 2.55 Upper/9.17 Lower w/ Idler Relocation, DMS Reinforced Brick, ID1050X, 1 7/8" Headers, ProSpeed HX/Reservoir, DSX Aux Pump/Flex Fuel Sensor, E85, McLeod RXT, BMR 1" Drop, Tuned by Pat G

Old 03-08-2015, 03:41 PM   #4
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
If you do have a "flashlight" brighter then the headlight, you have problems, and it may be the car, but the OEM headlights are HID and with 4300K bulbs you want get a lot more light out of them.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 03:44 PM   #5
revived
Vrrrm.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by spadz93 View Post
I tried diode's bulbs (i DID go 6000k but i didn't think it would be this pitiful) because my stock bulbs were 5-6 years old and starting to die on me. I honestly think i own flashlights that are brighter than these headlights right now.

This isn't one of those "oh there must be something wrong with you if you think the stock HIDs aren't bright" (i've seen this pop up on a LOT of previous threads) things because i've parked next to my mom's lincoln mkx and my dad's F-150, both of which have factory-equipped HID's and theirs blew mine straight out of the water with both sets of bulbs. Even my sister's Jeep GC, which has HALOGEN-projectors, was leaps and bounds brighter than mine on both sets. There has to be something wrong here. I won't mind spending some coin on a good set of bulbs, anything to allow me to see the road again at night.
Like I said, go back to stock 4300 kelvin rating this produces the most light throw possible (lumens aswell) and see if it helps. When you go up the scale to a 6000k you get less throw of light and lumens.

Did you notice the color of the bulb its blueish white and you lose a lot of light when you use a higher "K" rated bulb.

I personally wont run higher then Run 5000k or 5100k or 5200k. Its a pure white sure I lose a little bit of light throw but not a lot and it matches much better to the halos. I also buy a good brand Such as PIAA Alstare and not diode dynamics generic bulbs never know who they get theres from.

revived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 04:15 PM   #6
13blackLS

Drives: 2013 camaro ls; 2005 rx8
I have diode dynamics 8k bulbs and they are plenty bright...maybe check the aim of the projector? Or maybe ballast is bad and not the bulbs??
13blackLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:01 PM   #7
spadz93
BUMBL Z

I understand how kelvin temps work, I've been using hids for quite some time, but the output I'm getting is atrocious. Even my girlfriend noticed that they're way too dim. I'll get new osram bulbs, but I really don't think they're the problem here. Projectors are also aimed fine. Ofer, you mentioned something wrong with the car? Do you have any specifics in mind?

Old 03-09-2015, 11:26 AM   #8
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
You may need new bulbs.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:31 AM   #9
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
i would suggest you check the ground wire.if you have a bad connection it would cause the problem.i always like to check the simple things first.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:23 PM   #10
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Hey dude that must be frustrating
I don't think it would be your ballasts though
My car is 6 years old as well and just burnt out the hids recently
Apart from that I can't see how the ballast would go bad

Ground connection sounds like a start

I'm no mechanic
But if it were my car, I would buy the stock hids plus change fuses for the sake of it
Double check all my wires

Make sure headlights aren't oxidized

You think maybe the grill is blocking quite a bit of the light?
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:38 PM   #11
spadz93
BUMBL Z

I already placed the order for new ballasts, so we'll have to see. If no difference, then i'll send them back. I'm going to try with both the diode bulbs and the stock bulbs i got left.
What ground wire are we talking about? the ground wire going to the ballast?

I'm still really not entirely sold that it would be the bulbs after replacing them. I mean, these ballasts are only rated for 2000 hours. that's just under 84 complete-day's worth of operation, over 6 years? Seems quite possible that i'm far over that.

If it is the ballasts, then good for me, i called it. If not, then i'll return them and get replacement osrams or philips

Old 03-09-2015, 03:37 PM   #12
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by spadz93 View Post
I understand how kelvin temps work, I've been using hids for quite some time, but the output I'm getting is atrocious. Even my girlfriend noticed that they're way too dim. I'll get new osram bulbs, but I really don't think they're the problem here. Projectors are also aimed fine. Ofer, you mentioned something wrong with the car? Do you have any specifics in mind?
Here is what i see as something that may affect your lights, the cold in N.J. at this time of the year, we work with lots of members, and in the past month we had 1 case of 2014 tail lights flashing in park modd, we had the member check volts, he was only getting 11 volts at the lights, he had 13.4 at the battery.

We think the cold in the US this winter may be lowering the volts to the headlights, So try and find out what volts you have to the headlights.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:07 PM   #13
spadz93
BUMBL Z

Also forgot to mention, I have a brand new interstate megatron plus in there. I'll take a meter to it this weekend when I have everything off, but they've been dim even back to when weather was brighter. I'll see what's going on, but ultimately I'm going to also swap the ballasts and see if that makes a difference, because I have a strong feeling that's what's going on

Old 03-10-2015, 12:56 AM   #14
s9779

Drives: 2015 2ss 1le
how do your highs perform. I just got my car a few days ago and the lights don't seem to project that far. when I put on the high beams it lights up the road for miles. I have a feeling it might have to do with the height of the car and the fact they have to be aimed low as to night blind other drivers. I have an 05 jeep grand Cherokee that with halogens and it seem to light up more of the road directly in front of me. my previous car was a Buick GS that had the same kind of hids. I would sometimes find myself turning them off and on to check to see if they where on.
s9779 is offline   Reply With Quote