Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-24-2018, 04:21 PM   #1
590_The_Judge

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE NGM
Anyone have luck with an aftermarket shifter?

I have about 550 miles on my zl1 1le and absolutely hate the vague, rubbery feel of the shifter. The throw length isnt too bad, but the 4 to 5 shift is driving me nuts with all the slop...

Anyone have any luck with the aftermarket? Or maybe swap bushings for a stiffer material like delrin or bronze?

Noise/vibration arent a concern for me... i would take an increase in NVH if i could get a solid, positive feel out of the shifter.

Additional thoughts/concerns:
Im not familiar with the internals of the tr-6060, but i do know i needed a shifter with positive stops in a mustang i built using an early t-56. The first solid shift in that trans blew out the plastic cup shaped bushing the shifter sat in. Replaced the plastic cup with a bronze bushing and promptly destroyed the synchros when i blew through the internal stops the next time i tried to shift quickly. I would prefer to not have that happen again.

Thanks!
590_The_Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:55 PM   #2
silverbullet415

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
I’ve wondered the same, I know mgw is not making one for our cars
silverbullet415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:16 AM   #3
Sweptwing

Drives: 2017 2LT RS V6 M/T
Aftermarket shifter

What about Hurst?
Sweptwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:01 AM   #4
590_The_Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweptwing View Post
What about Hurst?
Dont know... waiting on an email... mgw was kind enough to reply on the weekend with the following:
I am sorry but we actually did have a gen 6 camaro in-house for about 6 months working on a shifter but ended up scrapping the project due to the tight tunnel clearances to make a proper shifter.

Im tempted to get a replacement 1le shifter (so my car isnt down since its my daily) to tear apart and figure out if i can just replace all the bushings with a more solid solution instead of rubber and see if that works.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:34 AM   #5
Larrio Andretti

Drives: Really Fast
Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinions. It’s my opinion that the shifter in the Camaro is outstandingly good. I’ve had a Hurst in a previous car and understand what you mean with regard to the rubber OEM bushings but the OEM shifter is one of the best I’ve rowed gears with. Perhaps it’s your style? I’ve noticed with manual transmisions that less effort gets you better results.

Last edited by Larrio Andretti; 06-25-2018 at 07:09 AM.
Larrio Andretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:17 AM   #6
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
I don't know how a shifter can get much better than what the ZL1 1LE comes with !!

You would despise the shifter in my challenger hellcat.

hahahaha

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:39 AM   #7
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
I looked into this one prior to getting my 2018 ZL1: https://www.phastekperformance.com/2...er-3916031.htm

But after I got the car, I decided against it. My only complaint with the car was the shift knob and I solved that with a Barton adapter and an Epco knob...
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2018, 11:29 AM   #8
jjgi5150

Drives: 2022 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrio Andretti View Post
Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinions. It’s my opinion that the shifter in the Camaro is outstandingly good. I’ve had a Hurst in a previous car and understand what you mean with regard to the rubber OEM bushings but the OEM shifter is one of the best I’ve rowed gears with. Perhaps it’s your style? I’ve noticed with manual transmisions that less effort gets you better results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
I don't know how a shifter can get much better than what the ZL1 1LE comes with !!

You would despise the shifter in my challenger hellcat.

hahahaha

I have to agree with both of the above quotes. I had a 2013 Boss 302 with a very crappy trans/shifter. Then my '15 Z/28, which was quite decent for a stock shifter. IMO, the trans and shifter for my Z/LE is about the best I've felt on a factory manual trans in many years. In addition, I love the ratios in the 6060 in the Z/LE....a true close ratio box with fantastic gear spacing. Once I got used to the tension in the shift gates, I found it to be very well done for a factory shifter. I never felt the need to change the feel of it.

JJ
2023 Hyundai SF Calligraphy
jjgi5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:53 PM   #9
590_The_Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgi5150 View Post
I have to agree with both of the above quotes. I had a 2013 Boss 302 with a very crappy trans/shifter. Then my '15 Z/28, which was quite decent for a stock shifter. IMO, the trans and shifter for my Z/LE is about the best I've felt on a factory manual trans in many years. In addition, I love the ratios in the 6060 in the Z/LE....a true close ratio box with fantastic gear spacing. Once I got used to the tension in the shift gates, I found it to be very well done for a factory shifter. I never felt the need to change the feel of it.

JJ
I have no doubt its a preference/get used to it type of complaint... i prefer a solid mounted shifter that only has movement when i move it... like the cliched rifle bolt. When i can move the shift knob/lever in a half inch circle without taking the trans out of gear, my opinion is that its garbage. Not to say other cars arent, but its not what i prefer. The distance between gates, the overall length of throw is great, the rubbery movement is terrible. I get that its an NVH thing which is why its as isolated and vague as it is.

Thank you all for the replies, ill probably buy the gm short shifter to tear apart and see if bushings will tighten up the feel (only cause i cant afford to have the car down since its my daily). If i come up with anything ill let you guys know.

Peter
Old 06-25-2018, 01:21 PM   #10
bmclaurin

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 (A10)
Definitely NVH management. The stock shifter in my GT350 was a rattle trap, even though it shifted reasonably well. I replaced it with an MGW, which completely eliminated the rattle, shifted extremely precisely, but had crazy resistance. I almost needed to start doing extra reps at the gym with my left arm because the shifter was making my right arm bigger. Lol
Old 06-25-2018, 03:42 PM   #11
camareoZ

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE (Black)
I second that^^^, Challenger shifter was terrible!
camareoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 05:18 PM   #12
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
I looked into this one prior to getting my 2018 ZL1: https://www.phastekperformance.com/2...er-3916031.htm

But after I got the car, I decided against it. My only complaint with the car was the shift knob and I solved that with a Barton adapter and an Epco knob...
The Barton adapter says it has a 3/4-16 thread, but I can't find a shift ball on the Epco site with that thread size?
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 06:39 PM   #13
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinlow View Post
The Barton adapter says it has a 3/4-16 thread, but I can't find a shift ball on the Epco site with that thread size?
I literally called Epco and spoke to them. When I told them I had already purchased the Barton adapter, the lady on the phone said they knew about Barton and had a pattern that would work.

Have had mine for almost 3 years now. Works great.
Old 05-21-2021, 06:04 AM   #14
Infamus

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
I think the shifter in the ZL1 is excellent as well. I have been driving a stick for many years...

my only complaint is second gear... that is a royal PIA.
Infamus is offline   Reply With Quote